+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Chris Harrison Blog BP2

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Chris Harrison Blog BP2

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/08/09/chris-harrison-bachelor-pad-season-premiere-blog/

When I was told who would be moving into Bachelor Pad this season I had high expectations. Those expectations didn’t come close to the drama and excitement that will unfold over the next six weeks. I remember sitting in the control room that very first night and someone jokingly said, “This is so good we’re going to need a three hour premiere.” We all laughed because in this day and age of ADD, channel-surfing viewers there’s no such thing as a three-hour show. Turns out that little joke became a reality. We had so much to show you this first week it had to be three hours — just think about what we have to show you when things really get good!

Obviously the most anticipated houseguests were Jake, Kasey and Vienna. But before they all arrived there were some other very intriguing characters and stories developing. Justin “Rated R” came out of the limo guns blazing. This is kind of what I expected from Wes last season but he arrived playing the “good ol’ boy” card. Justin had no such intention. He embraced the bad boy tag and owned it. The other slightly awkward arrival was that of Holly and Michael. There are a lot of unresolved feelings between these two. They didn’t really surface this first week but as time goes on and the pressure rises they will be forced to face some very tough issues. The fact that a couple that just broke off their engagement are now partners in a game together and living under one roof is obviously going to lead to something, whether it’s good or bad you’ll have to see.

The anticipation of the arrival of Kasey, Vienna and Jake was palpable. Everybody was making small talk but all anybody was thinking about was that moment when they would all meet up for the first time. Vienna also did a good job of working the room prior to Jake’s arrival, making sure everybody knew just how upsetting this all was for her. I knew this moment was going to be awkward but I had no idea just how awkward it would be. After all the posturing and big talk, what really happened was a lot of passive-aggressive behavior. For crying out loud, they ended up talking about the weather. It was one off the oddest, most awkward moments I’ve ever witnessed on this show, and believe me I’ve seen a few. After thinking about what they would say and do for so long nobody knew what to say or do when the moment actually arrived. And so it was with this incredible awkward dark cloud that Bachelor Pad began.

Last season it took weeks for the real game play to begin. This season it took a few minutes. The moment they started to arrive the houseguests began to plot and scheme. Because there was so much strategy and game play already in the works, the first challenge was huge. I think everybody knew it was going to come down to a battle of wills (not William) between Jake and Kasey. Jake was fighting for his life and Kasey for pride and control of the house. When we tested this challenge before the show, our people stayed up there for about fifteen minutes, so we figured in competition the winner might last twenty at the most. One by one the contestants started to drop, but not Jake and Kasey. These guys were physically hurting. Their legs were turning purple and they were losing feeling in their limbs. I couldn’t believe they were still holding on after thirty minutes and got very close to forty minutes, twice as long as we thought they would possibly go. In the end, Jake prevailed.

I have to give it to Kasey, that guy fought hard. I found it interesting the way Vienna acted after the challenge and how she treated Kasey. Their relationship is under extreme pressure and this will continue to evolve. Jake and Jackie went on a much-deserved date. They both earned a rose but the big twist was they also had a third rose to hand out. What they decided to do with that rose changed this game forever. An innocent act of kindness thought up by Jackie set in motion a chain of events that will affect everything about this season. Jake, thinking he could bury the hatchet and extend an olive branch to Kasey and Vienna, gave the rose and immunity to Vienna. Jake thought he was doing the right thing and felt great about it afterwards. What he didn’t realize is Vienna is not having it. She wants nothing more than to take that rose and stab Jake in the back with it.

Obviously Kasey and Vienna are a formidable team and have a lot of power in the house. Blake realized this and made a last ditch effort to break them up and get rid of Kasey. They almost did it, but Gia — who felt betrayed by Jake — couldn’t pull the trigger, and Kasey and Vienna remain. Alli made a tactical error and couldn’t decide who she was going to align with and was thus left in the middle, which is no place to be. Justin also attempted to play both sides and ended up being the first man to take a walk. Again, this is just week one and there’s already more storylines to follow than we can fit into a three hour episode. The more time these people spend together and the more relationships are formed and tested the more the drama in the house will build. Next week the fallout will continue from this week’s vote and the struggle for power will continue as two main teams emerge.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Chris Harrison Blog BP2

Chris Harrison blogs 'Bachelor Pad' episode 2 | PopWatch | EW.com

After week one’s epic three-hour event, week two started off with the same gusto. With things changing so much the competitions have become huge this season. The only safe place to be sitting during elimination is with a rose. This week’s competition was rough to watch. It was interesting how it opened up a lot of issues in the house, and also within certain individuals.

Melissa and Michael won the competition and each of them won dates where they were able to take three others with them. Could their dates have been any more different and could they have gone any different? Michael and his crew went to an old haunted hospital here in LA while Melissa and the boys got to go yachting. The big story on Michael’s date was obviously his choosing his ex-fiancée Holly to join him. I found it amazing to watch how mature the two of them were together in what must have been a very difficult situation. Look at the difference between the way they acted compared to the way Vienna and Jake are when they’re together. Michael gave Holly the rose so they could finally talk alone about their feelings. What transpired on the roof was one of the most moving scenes I’ve ever witnessed on any of our shows. That conversation was so real so raw and so emotional it moved them both to tears. I was incredibly impressed with both of them and just how open and honest they were with each other.

As mature and emotional as Michael’s date was, Melissa’s date was exactly the opposite. The big question to come out of this date is how far will people go to win the money? What are you willing to do and what is okay to do in the name of the “game,” Blake made the decision to form an alliance with Melissa on this date, but the only way to do that and get the rose was to lead her on. In your mind, was this crossing the line of decency or is all fair in love and war? Blake and Holly had an instant connection in the house and they are starting to explore just what that is, but obviously this doesn’t create and awkward love triangle — it creates a horribly awkward love square! This will play out in the coming weeks because obviously when there’s this much pressure something or someone (Melissa) is bound to blow.

Bachelor Pad is not for the weak at heart, and Gia — who should’ve learned this during the last go around — got another very good lesson this week. Gia went to Graham to try to break up the power couple Kasey and Vienna. Ironically if she had done this when she had the power last week, it would’ve never been an issue and none of this would’ve ever happened. Graham’s allegiance is clearly with Kasey so he went directly to Kasey and spilled the beans. Maybe out of arrogance or ignorance, Kasey let Gia know that Graham had told him everything and that she was now a sitting duck. Gia got caught in the middle — and as Alli discovered last week when you’re in the middle you’re alone and dead in Bachelor Pad. Gia got flustered and felt betrayed and decided she has had about enough of Bachelor Pad life… until next summer that is. I along with the other houseguests was surprised to see Gia get so upset she left. But like she said in the limo she was probably going home so instead of giving Kasey the pleasure of shoving her off the cliff, she decided to jump.

One of the great things about Bachelor Pad is things can change on a dime and this week I’m the one that dropped the bomb. Kasey and Vienna and the others in their alliance thought they had it all figured out. It was interesting to watch their reactions when I pulled the rug out from under them and announced that two women would be going home this week. Vienna immediately got emotional and asked everybody to stage a walkout — no seriously, she really did. She assumed she had so much power and sympathy that everybody would give up a shot at a quarter of a million dollars because she wasn’t happy with the twist in the game. Shockingly this attempt at a coup didn’t quite work out and they all decided to stay. When I was talking to the group this week Vienna made the statement that she was forced to be on TV and that we were forcing her to be in the house with Jake. I did my best flight attendant impersonation and promptly showed her the exits and told her to feel free to use them. This will not be the last time I tell the guests of Bachelor Pad that they are free to leave any time they want.

Once cooler heads prevailed and everybody decided to stay the vote for one more woman began and so did the backstabbing and betrayal. Kasey looked Ames and Jackie in the eye and told them they had nothing to worry about and that Jackie would be safe. The tough thing about being the self-proclaimed king is you have to make tough decisions and sacrifices. After making his promise to Jackie, Ella changed everything by making an alliance with Kirk. That was a smart move that saved her this week. Because of that alliance, Kasey was forced to change his vote and stab Jackie and Ames in the back. Kasey brought up a great question to himself in one of his interviews: When there’s money on the line do you do what’s right, or do you go for the money? His answer was go for the money.

Ames and Jackie quickly found each other on Bachelor Pad and fell hard for one another. When Jackie got voted out I felt bad for them because I really wanted them to spend more time together and see where this relationship could take them. Then Ames pulled a move and an exit that only Ames could pull. In a grand gesture of love and commitment Ames left the game and left the money and chased down Jackie in the limo to give love a chance. So, Kasey in answer to your question, Ames would most definitely say doing the right thing is far more important than the money. As Ames said that was the happiest limo exit in Bachelor history.

As you can clearly see alliances have been formed but that can change quickly in this house and the only person you can really trust is yourself. Jake is fighting for his survival and continually trying to bury the hatchet with Kasey and Vienna. Kasey and Vienna are continually trying to bury the hatchet in Jakes’ back and plotting his demise. Something’s gotta give here and it most certainly will. One final note this week I’d like to apologize to the houseguests for our lax security this year. Apparently any old masked man could just walk in off the street and into the house. I guess it’s true what they say to make an omelet you have to break a few colored eggs. We have a lot of great stuff for you on our web site thebachelor.tv and I will always continue to fill you in on all things bachelor via twitter @chrisbharrison.

I end this week’s blog on a very sad note. Our thoughts and prayers are with our friend Michelle Money and her family whose loving father Scott Cartwright lost his long brave battle against colon cancer. As you saw in last week’s episode the two of them had an extraordinarily strong bond. He meant the world to her and will be missed beyond measure. Michelle, your entire Bachelor family is thinking about you and know that we are all here for you. I have a friend battling rectal cancer right now. In light of all this news, gentlemen I urge you to get tested and don’t be embarrassed or ashamed to go in if you think something might be wrong. Ladies, urge the men in your life to ask questions and get tested, early detection can make such a difference.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Chris Harrison blogs 'Bachelor Pad' episode 3 | PopWatch | EW.com

I truly hope all of you are singing “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” in your head while reading this blog. Why on earth it’s taken us ten years to get Bret Michaels to come on our show and sing that song is beyond me. The good news is it finally happened, and all seems right with the universe. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if all the sudden the stock market went up and there was peace in the Middle East now.

This week’s episode was incredibly interesting on many levels. First of all, let’s talk about poor Blake. Man, did this guy really step in it when he decided to play Melissa. In Melissa’s defense what Blake pulled was shady and I’m sure its tough to get played like she did and then have it thrown in your face like that. The challenge this week was hysterical and slightly uncomfortable to watch. The great thing about the synchronized swimming competition is so much was riding on the line, the contestants had no choice but to go for it. Here are my thoughts on the competition: The guys’ swimsuits were just a tad bit too small and a little see-through for my taste. The girls, on the other hand, absolutely loved it and were totally sizing the guys up out loud while they were standing there. Erica was a complete train wreck and didn’t know up from down. I was thoroughly impressed with how good the guys were and more than a bit disturbed at how bad the women were. I find it funny that Vienna always feels cheated and is the victim when she tries and doesn’t get what she wants or things don’t go her way. I sense a theme here! The truth is, Michelle tried just as hard and did just as well — if not better — in the competition and caught the judges’ eye. Michael definitely had a leg up on the guys’ side with his dance training. But it was his personality that really stole the show and earned him the rose. By the way, Michael, that hug you gave me while wearing that banana hammock was not okay and I really haven’t slept well since.

The blow up between Kasey and Vienna following the competition was incredibly uncomfortable for everybody in the house. It was so public nobody really knew what to say or do. I’ll be interested to hear your opinions of what you thought of this and what you think about their relationship. Later in the show the two of them were celebrating their six-month anniversary. Kasey was in the midst of expressing his love when he reached in his pocket and pulled out a jewelry box. Obviously it was a ring. When Vienna saw the box she interrupted his speech to exclaim, “I don’t want it to be an engagement ring!” I thought Kasey was very kind in just saying, “You killed the mood.” How in the world Kasey continued to give her the promise ring after that I’ll never know. Then Kasey broke out into song. I had completely forgotten that Kasey sang to Ali during her season — somehow I had blocked that out of my mind, and I feel like it will take a while to get this song out of my head.

This week’s dates were very compelling. For the first time you really got to see the relationship blossoming between Michelle and Graham. Michelle really opened up about her feelings towards Graham but he seemed reluctant; Michelle felt he had been hurt before and was closed off. I’ll be interested to find out if that was indeed why he was reluctant. We’ll find out much more when they all come together for the finale of Bachelor Pad. Once again Michael took his ex fiancée Holly on his date, and once again they shared an amazingly emotional scene with all of us. It’s been incredible to watch the two of them deal with such a tough situation in such a mature way.

At the rose ceremony I announced the tables would be turned, and this week the ladies were safe. This time Vienna didn’t get upset and threaten to stage a walkout — apparently this twist was okay with her. Jake came into this game at a huge disadvantage and a massive target on his back. He made one last ditch effort to save himself and everybody else from the power couples, but for some reason the stragglers couldn’t pull it together, and much to the delight of Kasey and Vienna, Jake went down. He really only has himself to blame. That very first week if he hadn’t given Vienna the rose, things would have been much different. Now with Jake gone, the power couples are only that much stronger. I think Jake hit the nail on the head when he said if you don’t vote against the power couples, you’re “not playin’ the game,” you’re just “playin’ stupid.” With Jake gone and the numbers dwindling, it will be interesting to see how the game changes as people begin to feel more desperate.

. . . Later in the show the two of them were celebrating their six-month anniversary. . . . I’ll be interested to hear your opinions of what you thought of this and what you think about their [Vienna and Kasey] relationship.
    Vienna is obviously a long-term plotter. The stuff serial killers are made of. Psycho!
    And Kasey is just an idiot lapdog with low self-esteem.
    NEPASue likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Bye bye Jake, dont let that big door hit you on your behind!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Bye bye Jake, dont let that big door hit you on your behind!
    And I hope it is really bye-bye for good off our TV screens this time. He is totally obnoxious, JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    And I hope it is really bye-bye for good off our TV screens this time. He is totally obnoxious, JMHO.
    I think he has run his course. Lets hope we dont see or hear of him again.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 08-24-2011 at 01:10 PM.

I think it's interesting that neither Chris nor any of the other bloggers (who I think watch the show ahead of time in order to have time to write about it) said anything about the sudden ending. It makes me think they did that last minute, as a way to create "buzz."

Chris and Fleiss mentioned it on their twitter pages, likened it to the Sopranos.

Oh, thanks for the info, ASassyKat. I hadn't seen that.
    Don't you think it still could have been done last-minute? Especially since Twitter is more of-the-moment. Shows they might still be editing right up until air time? I don't know, it just was interesting to me.

I also wonder about Will's air time - the more they joke about him being invisible, on Twitter they're all talking about it - he even said something about making someone in the editing room mad, I wonder if they'd cut him out of unnecessary scenes even more just because it's funny and keeps them talking. Those producers (follow any of them on Twitter?) can be pretty hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast