+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DEBATE: Bachelor Pad - Super cool or grossest thing ever?

DEBATE: Bachelor Pad - Super cool or grossest thing ever?

So lets hash it out. Is this show the bees knees, or a sign of the fall of modern civilization? Give an opinion, and prepare to defend it!

For the sake of all of our sanity, I hope we can avoid the "if you don't like it why are you watching it" and the opposite but still offensive "why are you kissing their @sses" kinds of "arguments". Give specific reasons for loving or hating the show, and defend it, but debate the points given, not the right to hold those opinions.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: DEBATE: Bachelor Pad - Super cool or grossest thing ever?

Bachelor Pad - Super cool or grossest thing ever?
    I don't know why those two things need to be mutually exclusive!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The jury's still out until show #2!

IF I find out it's playing out like I think it is:

I'd like to believe the competitions are real, but the "acting" is too. These kids have to have been coached to act their characters!

THEN I'll think it's "super cool"!

It's good summer fun right now
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4034321;
    I don't know why those two things need to be mutually exclusive!
    Agreed.

And why am I watching? I don't watch sports because I have no emotional investment in any of the players and so don't care whether they win or lose, so I watch this sort of crap because I can develop an opinion on the individuals involved (whether or not their characters actually correspond with their real life selves is moot), and either root for them or, far more likely, root against them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On principal, I'm not a fan of a game which encourages multiple hookups with different partners as gameplay. Somehow one bachelor/bachelorette seeking a single mate from 25 eligible candidates is far far less distasteful than encouraging 19 people to compete for the bachelor/bachelorette position in a single date, after which they might be selected as a contestant for another winner on a subsequent date. I guess it's that, by and large, there is not even a superficial farce of a progression in terms of relationships. It's more that players are encouraged to use their sexuality to prey upon others and get all the action they can.

But somehow, watching it, I didn't really care.

I think it has to do with what Rattus said. These are people whom I've invested in and formed opinions about already. Craig hooking up with Michelle and then tossing her aside? Well I have already been told that Craig is a jerk before, I'm not experiencing any disappointment in who I expect him to be. Elizabeth being desperate and whiny and trying to use her sexuality to coerce a commitment out of Jesse, well, it's not out of line with the infamous "kiss me/don't kiss me" game from her time as a contestant.

I think what we know about these contestants makes the morality of the show's premise a bit easier to swallow. Toss in that they are all beautiful, and it's even that much easier.

I think a huge reason to like it is that it reinforces the judgments we have made about the characters already, and there is something gratifying about that. Schadenfreude, even.

I liked episode 1, except the date was pretty boring because I didn't have any hope or expectation that any bit of "love" would result.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Fogey

After one episode, I am neutral. Based on one episode, it was not as snarky as I had been led to believe. I think we will have to see more of it before making a decision one way or the other.

The "cast of characters" is an interesting mix, but there are a lot of "real characters" from seasons past who I would have liked to see. Perhaps a lot of the participants from the past have chosen to just put the whole thing out of their lives.

It is neither super cool or gross at this point. Just my opinion.

I actually like it. Even though I agree with what someone else said above (about them playing roles), in general I feel like it is much less fake. We are not being Fleissed to believe that there is a love story there. Everyone is very open about the premise of the show and why they are there. In addition, they are all young, beautiful people. I guess I feel like it is more "real". Plus, any show that gives me Jesse, Jesse and Kiptyn shirtless is ok by me.

As for the hooking up - if you read RS's spoilers, there really was a lot less hooking up on this show than I would have thought. Yes, a few of them do hook up - but I think that is as much about playing the game as anything else.

Maybe I should have a problem with it - but I really don't. They all knew what they were in for when they went back on a MF show. We are not being subjected to MF playing games with the edit to feed us things that aren't true. I guess because of that, I can just sit back and watch it for the train wreck it is!

Awesome trainwrecky goodness and a bit of summer fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4034803;
    Yeah, but hopefully they hosed down that house, and used a few hundred gallons of disinfectant after shooting this.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4034803;
    Perfect (or should I say, for ASassyKat, purrrrfect) summation!

My only disappointment is that we aren't REALLY getting our favorites (except for a few), and the best of the best. But maybe our favorites were too smart or too busy to get involved. Maybe these 19 were the best that that could get.

One thing I really like is that the guys vote off the girls, and vice versa. It really makes the game interesting. It sure makes me wonder if it didn't keep Craig and David from being the nasty boys they were when they were on originally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast