+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Andi - The Bachelor 18

Re: Andi - The Bachelor 18

Ah, well if that is the case then that is sad. Quite frankly I find reading more enjoyable than watching TV (which just makes me want to eat). At night my mind just races with everything that is going on, and reading is probably the best way to keep my mind distracted, but still active!
    RBmumsie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    She's smart and has a life of her own. I like her. But, I think she's too good for this show.
    Yes, she is too good for this show. A couple of them are imnsho
    RBmumsie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It wasn't just that she said she didn't read much, it was HOW she said it. Like "Ew, no, I don't read. It's boring." Obviously, JP is no rocket scientist, so it felt like she was dumbing herself down. Kind of embarrassing.
    I don't see how reading equates to intelligence. My brother doesn't like to read, but he is incredibly smart. I don't believe not enjoying reading means dumbing yourself down at all. I am constantly reading a book (love the Kindle!), but I would never call my brother dumb just because he doesn't enjoy reading.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I don't see how reading equates to intelligence. My brother doesn't like to read, but he is incredibly smart. I don't believe not enjoying reading means dumbing yourself down at all. I am constantly reading a book (love the Kindle!), but I would never call my brother dumb just because he doesn't enjoy reading.
    That's not what I said OR meant. When you dumb yourself down, you make it seem to people that you are not as smart as you are. It's not about who you really are, it's about who you want people to think you are. Sadly, women do it all the time because they think (sometimes correctly, unfortunately) men won't be as interested if they're smart(er).

I don't think NOT reading means you're not intelligent, but I don't know one avid reader who isn't smart.

Andi may not be a big reader, who knows? BUT, she sure didn't want JP to think she is.
    Midol likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Sorry Critical, I copy and pasted your post, but was responding to more than just yours.

We really have no idea if Andi was *dumbing herself down*, or she really doesn't like to read. Lots of people don't enjoy reading fiction books (which is what I took both of them to mean). Technical books, books for learning (college, etc.) are a whole other ball of wax.

Like I said above, it wasn't what she said, but how she said it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Gotcha!

I didn't like the whole "ew, no I don't read" thing either. As an obsessive reader, I was actually saddened by it. I honestly thought reading and nerd-dom in general were more cool these days.
    Critical likes this.

I didn't find it wrong or sad or anything negative at all, and I am an avid reader too.

To me it just came across as someone excited to find they have something in common with someone else - something that not that many people will admit to not enjoying, and obviously gets looked down on by others. She sounded relieved to me. So what if neither of them don't like reading.

Just because we love to read, doesn't mean everyone does. Everyone is different
    Florimel and ilja like this.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It wasn't just that she said she didn't read much, it was HOW she said it. Like "Ew, no, I don't read. It's boring." Obviously, JP is no rocket scientist, so it felt like she was dumbing herself down. Kind of embarrassing.
    maybe it was a genuine expression of disgust since she drowned in it in school, like katesmom. or she was referring to fiction only, which i feel many people do.. like twilight or something. just because she thought it was boring doesn't mean she was doing it to make herself more attractive to a man.

+ Reply to Thread