Closed Thread
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Like Tree486Likes

Thread: 1/30 Bachelor 16 Show Thread Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 1/30 Bachelor 16 Show Thread Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers*

I feel the same way, Pandora. We heard him say in the previews that he has found the woman he wants to spend his life with. That in no way conveys the message that he was really only there to have a good time on ABC's dollar, unless he is an out-and-out liar reading from a script, which I suppose could be true. Plus he keeps saying about the women he lets go that he can't see them together for the long-term.

Yes he's young. I recall me at 29, heck I recall my sons at 29. I see what you mean about the right reasons, but I truly do wonder if any of them are there to find love, or a soul mate .They go down on one knee, they are together for a short while and then we hear they are done . I think its to be expected given the amount of time they give them to find that mate, any longer though and I am guessing we wouldnt be tuning in.jmho

I think this show is heavily scripted why else would the same lines come out time after time
    KatesMom likes this.

MF has said, point-blank, that he doesn't care about the happy ending. He doesn't care about what happens once the cameras stop rolling. He cares about keeping you tuned in - and it is the drama and the crazy characters that do that. This show has been on for 10 years - and appears to still be doing just fine, despite having 1 final couple in 22 (now 23 seasons) make it to the altar. This is not about a love story. If the final couple actually does fall in love and makes it - that's great and I'm sure TPTB would use it to their advantage as much as they can. It was about finding love at the beginning. That went out the window with Bob. Aside from Jason, I'm not sure it ever came back in. I understand that there are people out there who still believe that love can happen from this show. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. But I don't think Ben is being inauthentic and I don't think TPTB care one fig about whether love comes out of this. They care about ratings and they care about people watching. I've read the posts here. We don't spend our time talking about the developing love story. We spend our time talking about the drama and craziness. That is what keeps people tuned in.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I feel the same way, Pandora. We heard him say in the previews that he has found the woman he wants to spend his life with. That in no way conveys the message that he was really only there to have a good time on ABC's dollar, unless he is an out-and-out liar reading from a script, which I suppose could be true. Plus he keeps saying about the women he lets go that he can't see them together for the long-term.
    Maybe he has. Maybe he got caught up in the fantasy of the show. Maybe he didn't plan to fall in love at the beginning but things changed. Maybe he is saying it about his dog! Maybe it is a soundbite from last season. Anything is possible.

OK, maybe it's just me. I have a pretty high standard when it comes to saying what I mean and meaning what I say. I get that it's heavily scripted reality TV, but I'm not in the habit of telling people what they want to hear just to get what I want, so it always rubs the the wrong way when I see other people doing that.

And ITA the formula is working for now, but at some point, it's going to become a farce, and MF will have to come up with something else. I don't think those of us who post on here are typical viewers; I think most people who watch this show are still hoping for the happy ending.
    JavaJo and AlwaysVeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Maybe he has. Maybe he got caught up in the fantasy of the show. Maybe he didn't plan to fall in love at the beginning but things changed. Maybe he is saying it about his dog! Maybe it is a soundbite from last season. Anything is possible.
    If he lets a girl go, its way better than stringing her along, and having her be even more upset.

I still say Courtney will be his F1 Monday's nights show proved that beyond any doubts at all..he has to pick her...he can't pick anyone else at this point I mean how could he even began to explain to another woman what he did wtih Courtney in the water....you know they played hide the pickle...gross...and unless someone was totally desperate and had no self esteem at all and didn't think she could ever get anyone else would she even stay with him after seeing that...I would be embarrased and humilated so as I said in week 2 when he had his 1 on 1 with Courtney its game set and match...done deal IMO only
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I still say Courtney will be his F1 Monday's nights show proved that beyond any doubts at all..he has to pick her...he can't pick anyone else at this point I mean how could he even began to explain to another woman what he did wtih Courtney in the water....you know they played hide the pickle...gross...and unless someone was totally desperate and had no self esteem at all and didn't think she could ever get anyone else would she even stay with him after seeing that...I would be embarrased and humilated so as I said in week 2 when he had his 1 on 1 with Courtney its game set and match...done deal IMO only
    I agree with you, ButterflyFaery. I could see Ben was smitten with Courtney from early on.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I would have cut her off as well.What guy wants to sit with you, talk with you! while you ramble on about another women. I dislike quite a few bachelors Jake being the very worst. ( Blob was clumsy and awkward) and slobbered like a newfoundland dog .Have you only decided on the editing of this show about Ben? you should google airport outtakes, he is a funny guy I am watching all of this season because of him

love ya Ben LOL!
    He may very well be a funny guy, but viewers shouldn't have to google outtakes or candid videos online in order to like the lead of this show, IMO. So either he is a jerk in real life and the camera is portraying accurately with the way he acts around some of these girls, and his obvious lack of sense when it comes to a girl like Courtenay, OR the editors hate him and are creating this character who, from what I've read on many message boards dedicated to this show, most viewers have come to view very negatively. I can't say which of these is true, or if there are other options or a combination of the two perhaps, but I am basing my opinion of Ben on what I see on the show because a) I don't know him personally and b) that's what the show is giving me weekly and c) I'm not inclined to search the internet to find positives on him because I don't care about him enough to do so. I do understand though that many of these people are NOT the whackjobs they appear to be every Monday night, so I could be way off, but I'm just not digging Ben at all.
    fireflyer, nennie, jucamer and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2 View Post
    OK, maybe it's just me. I have a pretty high standard when it comes to saying what I mean and meaning what I say. I get that it's heavily scripted reality TV, but I'm not in the habit of telling people what they want to hear just to get what I want, so it always rubs the the wrong way when I see other people doing that.

And ITA the formula is working for now, but at some point, it's going to become a farce, and MF will have to come up with something else. I don't think those of us who post on here are typical viewers; I think most people who watch this show are still hoping for the happy ending.
    Pandora, I agree with you 100%. My guess is, though, that you would never want to be on this show. Neither would I - because I also believe you say what you mean and mean what you say. All I meant from that is that it is just a soundbite. We don't know when he said it or in what context. I also think this show can play games with contestants - both in how they edit, but also in the situation. Maybe he sincerely felt that way when he said it. Maybe he didn't. Reality is that this show tapes over 6 weeks and these people see each other for a grand total of what, 2 days, by the time the FRC airs? I find it very hard to believe they are in love. They are maybe in lust. They are definitely caught up in the moment. It is very easy for us to sit at home and think about how we would react or what we would do. But most of us will never be in this type of situation.

And I agree that we are not the "typical" viewers. Plenty of people do still watch for the fantasy. But 1 marriage in 23 seasons (yep, I'm going out on a limb and saying Ben and his F1 will not be #2) is not a great track record. And yet the show continues to do just fine in the ratings. I always have to get a chuckle when people complain that we are never shown the love story and that's what we want to see. And then I think back to seasons when there hasn't been as much drama or they really showed us a love story. What I remember is how many people would comment about how boring it was and how it wasn't holding their attention and they weren't going to watch. So we can say we want the love story and maybe some of us would watch for that. But most tune in for the drama and the chaos. And, let's be honest, that is what we spend our time talking about for the rest of the week.
    luvlady345, RoxyKnox, ilja and 2 others like this.

Closed Thread