Closed Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: 1/9 The Bachelor 16 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 1/9 The Bachelor 16 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sugargoose View Post
    I think the girls on the date with Blakely dislike her more, and the ones stuck at home with Courtney probably dislike her more. For myself, I think they are more jealous of what Blakely is doing and achieving, but Courtney is more directly nasty and wierd with the girls. "how did that feel coming out of your mouth?" what a creep she is!
    Very good observation! Kacie, Lindzi, and Erika endured the downright rudeness of Courtney while the rest of the girls dealt directly with Blakeley's persistence. Blakeley didn't bother me. Courtney managed to twist herself into this question mark for me. I can't judge if her "character" truly is her natural personality or if she's been edited to within an inch of Scotch's tail for the sake of the show.

Despite the comparison to Michelle Money, Courtney very well could be a completely different beast. Whereas Michelle's comments were rather hilarious and benign, Courtney turns the knife with a smile on her face all the while pulling the wool over Ben's eyes. The good news is that Courtney's storyline is complicated enough that she'll at least stick around until she and Ben bare their butts before we know the truth of who she really is.

I LOL at that outfit that Blakely wore to the group date. It looked one of those girdle things women wore in the 50's and 60's. (Thank you, Pan Am. ) Also loved the looks of the kids when they saw her. That was priceless. All in all, though, I loved this date. I've been watching since Jason's season, and this is definitely the best group date I've ever seen.

If I were Jennifer, I would have walked out when I saw Ben kissing Blakely. I mean, when he goes on 1-on-1 dates, you kind of assume they'll kiss somewhere along the line. But to do it so blatantly in front of the others, right after kissing Jennifer? Tacky and tasteless. And was I the only one who found it a little off-putting that Jennifer would then waltz up to get a rose as if nothing ever happened? I'd have more self-esteem than to want to hang around for Ben after that.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Babbred, someone mentioned that it was edited to show this, but that in reality (pardon the pun), Jennifer was kissed first.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Babbred, someone mentioned that it was edited to show this, but that in reality (pardon the pun), Jennifer was kissed first.
    Do you mean Blakely?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Finally watched. My thoughts? The first girl to get the date was very cute and sweet, but seems awful young. They did have a natural relaxed vibe going, but it reminded me a lot of Ashley and Brad's carnival date.

The model is a cow. She's just a *&*(&-disturber and she likes being one. The more I heard her talk the less attractive she became to me. But Ben, like many men, isn't really usng his smarts when it comes to her. He's just blown away that an honest-to-goodness model could be attracted to little old Ben-from-Sonoma (and speaking of Sonoma, if it were a drinking game I would have been blitzed by the end of the first hour). I'm thinking the Sonoma Chamber of Commerce threw in some cash for this one.

The Carrie-wanna-be from New York that went home, Jenna, was a trainwreck through and through. I sincerely hope she is mortified by her behaviour. She was a complete meltdown. The strong woman who ended up crying in the luggage room corner should be ashamed too. What is wrong with these girls????

For the most part I found Ben boring, the girls immature and ridiculous, and the drama overblown and cringeworthy. Sounds like a typical Bachelor season!!
    Midol and Babbred like this.

Funny notes, sweetpea. I agree about Kacie. She's a doll, but I'm not sure that they'll make it beyond friendship. I could see Ben being really protective of her. If he picks someone, given that he keeps saying that he enjoys older women, I imagine it will be someone closer to his age, like, the late 20s range.

As for Courtney and Jenna, how much do you think is really their personalities vs. editing/storyline? That's what I'm left with whenever I watch the show now.
    sweetpea and Fanny Mare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out View Post
    Funny notes, sweetpea. I agree about Kacie. She's a doll, but I'm not sure that they'll make it beyond friendship. I could see Ben being really protective of her. If he picks someone, given that he keeps saying that he enjoys older women, I imagine it will be someone closer to his age, like, the late 20s range.

As for Courtney and Jenna, how much do you think is really their personalities vs. editing/storyline? That's what I'm left with whenever I watch the show now.
    Like anything, I doubt it is clearly just black or white. The producers do so much psychological testing on these contestants that they are pretty sure of how they will react in most situations and know which buttons to push to get them to react how they want...add in a liberal helping of alcohol and voila...you get the mess that is the Bachelor. They also cast people for certain roles so the personality is also already there and then there are those willing to act as they are told by the producers in the hopes of bigger and better things. If all else fails, there is editing.

In all the years of following those of you who did all the wondereful sluthing and people who had an in with the production side of things, do I recall them totally twisting a person to be something they were not. Yes, they exagerated certain traits, behaviours, storylines...but the person had to give them SOMETHING. If they didn't...I'm thinking of Kyptin in particular who said something along the same lines...they really just cut your time with the lead and if the lead is interested in you, just edit you to be boring. If they really don't like certain people for whatever reason, but again the lead falls for them...see Ed, Wes and Vienna...they can really make them seem like an a** through editing...but again, the contestants have to give them something.

Having said that, in the case of Jenna, she herself admitted in her exit interview that she was not in a good place at the time of the show. She had just had a bad break up, mixed with her own insecurities and booze...you got the hot mess Jenna from the show. Courtney, on the other hand, having read some testimonials from people who have known her, seems to be in life, as on the show. No doubt, a more enhanced version due to editing, but still a fairly acurate portrayal. In either case, both gave the producers and editors lots to work with...like it or not.
    sweetpea, Arielflies and ilja like this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

Really sound points, Midol. Jenna may have been the sacrificial lamb of this season, but something about her behavior made me think she consented to acting a role moreso. As a result, the open-to-suggestion part of her personality definitely did help her play right into the producers' storylines and edits. So you're correct that no "character" on this show can be 100% fabricated by the production. The production also goes off of whatever the person gives them.

I do find it interesting that Ashley Spivey said last season that the show's depiction of the house dynamic wasn't anything that they experienced at all, particularly Michelle's behavior. Here's where I do believe the show's manipulation and plot lines come into play: during the interviews. The producers ask leading questions, as you noted, that guide the respondent towards certain answers or comments, which in turn craft the plot or storyline. How insane is that?! Anyway, that's my take on what's happening with Courtney this season.
    Midol likes this.

Not so insane, from the producers' POV. They do what they gotta do to reel in the ratings in order to get the sponsors to pony up. Given the buzz, it's working.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post

The model is a cow. She's just a *&*(&-disturber and she likes being one. The more I heard her talk the less attractive she became to me. But Ben, like many men, isn't really usng his smarts when it comes to her. He's just blown away that an honest-to-goodness model could be attracted to little old Ben-from-Sonoma (and speaking of Sonoma, if it were a drinking game I would have been blitzed by the end of the first hour). I'm thinking the Sonoma Chamber of Commerce threw in some cash for this one.
    Love it!

The strong woman who ended up crying in the luggage room corner should be ashamed too. What is wrong with these girls????
    Samantha? Yeah, what the heck was up with that? She acts all strong and catty and ends up crying because the other girls don't like her. You would have thought they were all on the playground.

For the most part I found Ben boring, the girls immature and ridiculous, and the drama overblown and cringeworthy. Sounds like a typical Bachelor season!!
    Here's to the rest of the season! Here's to exotic locations, cool dates, and, oh yeah, a little drama.
    sweetpea likes this.

Closed Thread