Closed Thread

Thread: Bachelor Finale, March 14 – Brad Makes a Choice (Finally)

LG.

Bachelor Finale, March 14 – Brad Makes a Choice (Finally)

Hi there, Bachelor fans. We’ve had a long season of self-help mumbo jumbo, Jamie the therapist, and questions as to whether Brad is ready to commit to marriage, and possibly to being a step-dad to Emily’s daughter Ricky. I was a single mom to a girl around Ricky’s age when I met Mr. LG, who was 36 at the time. I never was concerned about his readiness for being an adult (including being a step-dad), but then again, he wasn’t searching for love on a tv show.

We’ve all been through the ringer this season and rather than re-hashing it blow-by-blow, let’s try a top ten list of the best moments from the finale show:

10. Brad starts off the show, telling us that Brad has really always wanted to visit Cape Town, South Africa, and that having his family meet his possible future wife there is a dream of his. I have a lot of things on my personal “to do” list, but dragging my family to South Africa to meet several people that I’m dating isn’t really on it.

9. Brad’s family shows up and he is overcome with tears and emotion. He nearly pulls a “Full Mesnick” as they show a scene of him crying over the edge of a hotel balcony, but unlike Jason Mesnick, Brad isn’t torn up because he’s in love with two women. He just happens to be an emotional basket-case, but I’m convinced that he’s already figured out which woman he plans to pick.

8. Time for the ladies to meet the family. Brad’s family thinks that Chantal is “precious” as she blathers on and on about falling in love with Brad in Costa Rica. Brad blends into the background. Next up, Emily shows up next and tells his family about Ricky and her loss, and they wonder if Brad is ready to step into the role of father. Pam tells him that both of these ladies are out of his league and he’d be lucky to land either. Ok, maybe that didn’t happen, but it could have.

7. Time for the final fantasy dates, and Brad’s date with Chantal has truly jumped the shark. Great white sharks are surrounding their boat while Chantal dons a wetsuit to hop into a cage with Brad to become human chum. Brad proclaims their shark jumping date as a “death-defying adventure” and calls Chantal a brave woman. Mr. LG remarks that their greatest risk of death is from accidentally inhaling the salt water and drowning, as they’re in a steel cage.

6. Chantal made a Becky Home-Ecky map showing all of the places they have been (courtesy of the show) and informs us that she’s “never traveled the world for a man before.” She whines that he hasn’t proclaimed his love to her yet. Her screeching during their shark date and art project token of her love are all signs that she isn’t the most mature person. He beats a hasty retreat and leaves her stewing on the couch. It really looks like Brad has made his choice and it isn’t Chantal.

5. It’s dress up day. Emily shows up wearing a shirt and boots, but no pants. She needs to hold down her shirt dress when they board a helicopter to avoid exposing herself. Brad tells Emily over and over how much his family loved meeting her. Brad promises to show Emily a side of Cape Town that isn’t usually seen. It’s some cool lighthouse on a cape.

4. Back at the hotel, Emily grills Brad as to whether he is ready to give up his single guy beer and football Sunday afternoons, which Emily proclaims is not something that real dads get to do. Mr. LG wonders what kind of terrible parents we are, as we have had NFL Sunday Ticket for years now and watch football all Sunday with our kids (and there may have been a beer or two involved). She questions whether he’s prepared to go to the emergency room with a sick kid and up at three am. Brad breaks out into a cold sweat as they are discussing it, and starts having a hard time breathing. Brad questions whether she will really let him in to their lives, thinking Emily might have some walls put up and keep him out. She’s pushing him away with a barge pole. He runs out in search of a glass of water, and then dashes out the door.

3. The ladies get ready for their final meeting with Brad. Never married Emily puts on a white dress (wedding dress?) while divorcee Chantal is in a dark green (or is it black) one shouldered evening dress with some type of feather bird on her shoulder. Brad puts on his dressiest flip-flops for the final rose presentation – oh wait, that was for when Neil Lane showed up with the rings. He actually wore a suit and shoes for the final rose ceremony.

2. Chantal is the first out of the limo, leading with her iridescent black/green dress. Maybe the dress isn’t really iridescent, and it is the weird lighting in South Africa, as her hair is looking rather iridescent too, a strange combination of dark brown and red that I hadn’t noticed on her in the previous episodes. He beats around the bush for a couple minutes, and then lets her down as gently as he can. Chantal has the self-esteem to say that she wants someone who is so crazy about her that there is no question about putting her first. I’ve given her a hard time this season, but wish her well on her journey.

1. Brad is waiting for Emily to arrive, and she exits the limo, looking like a Greek goddess in her off white draped dress. She reminds us that her dead fiancé Ricky was in her life for a reason, and the reason was to teach her to love (and to give her a daughter). Perhaps it was to establish an unrealistic standard by which all others will be measured and found wanting. Emily says that she always wanted to get married, but only to the “perfect person.” Gosh, I hope she isn’t really looking for perfection, as Brad is human. How will he be able to hold up to her memories of her Ricky, whom she dated, but he never had to deal with the sick child at 3 am either and didn’t have the chance to let her down the many and various ways she was concerned that Brad would let her down. He tells her loves her, that’s he’s wanted to tell her that for quite some time, and he proposes on one knee. She accepts and a squeal of glee from viewers can be heard across the time zones.

Ok, that’s a wrap. Brad picked Emily, and the action picks up again in Ariel’s recap of the After The Final Rose episode, which will be posted here at the FORT soon. Thanks for joining us this season, and good luck to Brad and Emily with the relationship – I hope it survives the reunion show.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Re: Bachelor Finale, March 14 – Brad Makes a Choice (Finally)

I've already got the photo picked out that I will use to show off the happy couple at the ATFR. Thank you for your count down list; I wonder what the ATFR will bring. Duh.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

My choice for Brad all along has been Chantal. He had the best chemistry and relationship with HER so it is not believable that he fell in love with Emily. After all is said and done Emily is whining now that the Bachelor producers didn't show HER in a good light and after watching it, she thinks Brad's choice should have been Chantal. This couple is totally doomed and will never make it to the altar. They have no communication verbally or otherwise with each other. My question at the end of it all is how come Brad never needed to meet Emily's family other than little Ricki? How come it was so important to meet the other women's parents, siblings, etc. but he never needed to meet Emily's parents or siblings? Again, they are doomed and once again Brad is a loser! One more thing -- Emily is 24 (and immature) and Brad is 38 (and immature)! He needed Chantal, the woman who knows what she wants!

My thoughts exactly. Chantal, aside from being gorgeous, is smart, knows what she wants: true love, family, kids, putting her guy first, mutual respect and support, and ready to follow him anywhere. She works, has real world responsibilities, and financially independent. Maybe that's too much for Brad. Emily came across is too genteel, demure, and retiring. The "Southern Belle" to the max. Nothing wrong with that if it's real, and Emily is no doubt a very nice person, caring mother, and good person, as all these folks are. There seems to be more energy and sparks with the Brad-Chantal interactions than with Emily. Of course, the editing by the TPTB has a huge role in this. Chantal told him early on about her feelings and growing love for him, and if he didn't feel the same, then send her home. In this repect, I think Brad was really a moron. I'll be watching the FRC and ATFR later today, but from what I understand, he told Chantal at the ATFR that she "deserved" to be there to F2. What crap!! He lead her on, broke her heart, and messed with her. If I were Chantal, I would have smacked him again at the AFTR. I don''t give the Brad/Emily thing more than a few more months. If longer than that, or a real engagement and marriage, it would be miraculous. I"m not betting on that.

FORT Fan

If anyone really believe that Brad was who he really was on this show, I got some land on the moon I would love to sell to you.
    I watched this season as kind of a favor for my wife who got into it. (technically I got her into it bc I watched the 1st epi bc a friend of mine slept with one of the girls). After a while I have to admit, I kind of enjoyed it and became obsessed with just how stupid and one track minded Brad was. He really is a complete moron. His conversations with these women was just awful. "Hi, Nice to see you again. How are you. Thank you for coming. How do you feel? This is just amazing. (insert exotic location of week) is the most beautiful place in the world. Im so lucky". That was every conversation he had on the show. Im totally convinced the only reason he went back on was to rehab his terrible image (which IMO shouldnt have even had because he would have just dumped the girl he chose the first time anyways). He just wanted everyone to like him and was trying way too hard. I really was hoping Chantel kicked in him the nuts while he was walking her out and kept asking how she was feeling. How do you think she was feeling dummy?

The last dates felt like Brad was choosing between cars. "This is the last time I will be with X before I ask them to marry me". Why dont you slow down a little cowboy. Why does this always have to end in marriage? Cant it just end with "how bout we slow things down and move in with each other"? There is a reason why none of these people ever end up getting married. I know the show is entertaining and all but come on.

I also think its kinda of irresponsible for mothers to go on this show. How long was that poor girl without her mother for? And for what, A chance to be on TV? Then she was just going to uproot that child from the only life shes known, move halfway across the country to be with a guy she feel in love with over the course of a few weeks? Im sorry but to me, thats a bad parent. Im not saying she should never date or fall in love but do it the real way.

Now Brad do the world a favor and go back into obscurity.

[Brad] really is a complete moron.
    That's the most concise and accurate description I've read of him so far. Really, Larry the Cable Guy could've done better narration than Brad did.
    Now Brad do the world a favor and go back into obscurity.
    Your keyboard to god's eyes...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Love your recap, LG!

Perfect observations, LG. I don't know why everyone gives Chantal such a pass she was part of the ridiculousness too and I'm glad you pointed that out.
    Now it is golf season and I'm off to the course! Have a wonderful summer and good luck to everyone who was on the show and those of us who watched it with so many entertaining opinions. All the best to everyone concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by carolb57 View Post
    My choice for Brad all along has been Chantal. He had the best chemistry and relationship with HER so it is not believable that he fell in love with Emily. After all is said and done Emily is whining now that the Bachelor producers didn't show HER in a good light and after watching it, she thinks Brad's choice should have been Chantal. This couple is totally doomed and will never make it to the altar. They have no communication verbally or otherwise with each other. My question at the end of it all is how come Brad never needed to meet Emily's family other than little Ricki? How come it was so important to meet the other women's parents, siblings, etc. but he never needed to meet Emily's parents or siblings? Again, they are doomed and once again Brad is a loser! One more thing -- Emily is 24 (and immature) and Brad is 38 (and immature)! He needed Chantal, the woman who knows what she wants!
    Very well said! this is everything I have been thinking! I think he liked the way she looked, so he's a surface kind of guy. Chantal, well he couldn't manipulate her.She dodged the bullet.!

Closed Thread