+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffin Hosts NBC's 'Average Joe'

Griffin Hosts NBC's 'Average Joe'

Griffin Hosts NBC's 'Average Joe'

Mon, May 12, 2003 04:59 PM PDT
    http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?31556

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The NBC summer reality series "Average Joe" is like "Mr. Personality" without the silliness of those darned masks. Fittingly, the show's host will be Kathy Griffin, who is something like "Personality" host Monica Lewinsky only without the inherent silliness of actually being Monica Lewinsky. Even if that isn't true, one can only imagine that acerbic comic Griffin would have some fun with the comparison.

"Average Joe" will center on the inevitable single, hot female. This one is a beauty queen and former NFL cheerleader. She's moving into a multi-million dollar mansion in Palm Springs with the assumption that she's going to be wooed by 16 correspondingly hot male studs. The twist comes when she discovers that the house is full of normal guys. Sure, they may not be pretty and, frankly, they may be geeks, but they have good hearts and nice personalities.

Will the pom-pom twirler get rid of the nice guys in favor of the relatively more handsome chumps, or will she reevaluate her dating priorities and pick some balding guy with a beer belly who may not win any prizes for looks, but who shares her love of the wishbone offence and old Joe Piscopo films?

Griffin, who was the victor on this spring's "Celebrity Mole Hawaii," will take the Lewinsky role of host and confidant, skewering the behavior of all of the not-so-comely men. "Average Joe" continues the relationship Griffin forged on NBC while a regular on "Suddenly Susan."

"Average Joe" is executive produced by Stuart Krasnow ("America’s Most Talented Kid," "Dog Eat Dog") and comes, fittingly, from NBC Studios.
    Last edited by John; 10-12-2003 at 05:42 PM.

Okay, here's the deal. NBC has cleared things up a little.

AVERAGE JOE
    Summer 2003 on NBC

Kathy Griffin (NBC’s “Suddenly Susan”) hosts NBC’s new unscripted relationship drama “Average Joe,” in which a stunning beauty queen and former NFL cheerleader moves into a multi-million dollar estate in Palm Springs with the expectation that 16 potential Prince Charmings are arriving to win her heart. But when the men arrive, our beauty finds that the handsome princes are actually Average Joes—guys with great hearts, but admittedly average looks, some even describing themselves as nerds and geeks. The series is set to premiere this summer.

Each week, our beauty learns more about her suitors during group and individual dates, as she determines which one might be her soul mate. She faces tough decisions as she must eliminate some terrific guys in order to focus her attention on those with whom she has the greatest chemistry. As host and confidant, Kathy Griffin offers her take on the behavior and personalities of the men and is on hand to introduce the many twists and turns the show takes.

“Average Joe” is a production of NBC Studios. Stuart Krasnow (“America’s Most Talented Kid,” “Dog Eat Dog”) is executive producer, Andrew Glassman is co-executive producer, Jason Raff is supervising producer.
    Last edited by John; 10-12-2003 at 05:43 PM.

FORT Fogey

Average Joe

I was looking at some articles on the net about the Joe Schmo show and found this one about it as well as future upcoming reality shows on TV. This one seems like it may be interesting, just to see the first episode:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969483191630

Average Joe: No relation to Schmo. NBC's take on reality spoofage is to sequester a perky blonde ex-NFL cheerleader in an opulent Palm Springs mansion with 16 potential mates.

Sound familiar? Here's the catch: The guys all turn out to be geeks and losers — not a hunk in the bunch. They're bald, they're fat, they're 90-pound weaklings, they've got matted back hair or chronic acne ... there is only one reason to watch this mid-season show, and that's to see the incredulous look on her face when these poor schlubs all file off the bus for the first time.

FORT Fogey
    now that i see kathy griffin is hosting this i might have to change my mind is it worth watching

So, when is this gonna air?

FORT Fogey
    my guess is not till after the new year.

I saw a preview for this show one night recently.... I could have sworn they said it started airing later this month. But there's no reference to it on NBC's site. Anyone got any info?

LG.
    I saw an ad last night, and the woman looked familiar. Did they say her name was Melana? If so, could it be former Meet My Folks guest, Melana Scantlin?

Melana Scantlin

http://www.post-trib.com/miss_usa/grafix/missouri.jpg

If this is the same person, then NBC is truly into recycling, as Melana Scantlin was the woman on MMF with whom Eric Ferch (who later appeared on FLOM2) won a date.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

LG.
    looks like my memory did not steer me wrong, as I found an article on realitytvworld stating it is indeed Melana Scantlin.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=1466
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I saw an ad for this show last night during Las Vegas. But I can't remember when they said it would be airing, or which day. How about a big round of for mel?? I am sure that NBC will keep airing the promo so an answer should surface soon.

It looked intriguing, especially when they showed all the "average" guys. Geeks, fat guys, ugly guys. But it turns out that not only is there the twist that the girl doesn't know that they are "average", there is a twist for the guys as well. They of course didn't tell us what it was. But I have to say that the fact that Kathy Griffin is hosting makes me want to watch. That gal is a whoot!!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast