+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things You Didn't Know

Things You Didn't Know

TV Guide has a write up in the newest issue of 10 Things You Didn't Know About Average Joe. Most of them were really silly things but a couple I found interesting and wanted to share.

~Will the fat suit return this season?
    Yes, with some sort of a twist to it, but there will be a reappearance of the DUFF.
    ~Back-up plans...
    In case either Melena or Larissa ended up bailing on the show they had a backup actress/model waiting in the wings ready to go. She was actually just off set for AJ1 and ready to hop the first flight out of LA for AJ2.
    ~The final two...
    There's actually a rule that says that the final 2 must be one AJ and one "hunk". Melena never had the rule enforced on her, she just did it naturally. Larissa though had to agree that she would let go the AJ's and "hunks" at equal rates.

FORT Fogey
    Hmmmm... that last one was really interesting... thanks libra!

Normally the last point would lead you to believe that the girl wanted to jettison as many of the "Joes" as possible and keep as many "hunks". Given that Larissa hasn't pretended to be attracted to the "Joes" if she wanted that I wouldn't necessarily blame her. Then again, given her reluctance to get rid of ANY of the Joes, and the way that the hunks are being jerked up by casting/editing/scripting I wonder if there is even the slightest possibility that some plan by the producer to make her favor the Joes went too far and she wanted as little to do with the Hunks as possible.

It's not likely, but at least until we see her actual face-to-face reactions to the Hunks (edited to all hell, of course) I'm not making a conclusion. And even then, we know that the reverse is always possible--that the "jerk hunk" act could be for the home audience and/or the Joes and Larissa may just see pretty meat. And then, of course, why the heck would she want to lead-on the Joes, who she's apparently been nice, but also at least seemingly somewhat honest to.

Also, it occurs to me that the producers letting this fact out is... a bit unfair to Larissa. It makes Melena sound like some just even-headed do-gooder and Larissa like some shallow fake, where the visual (okay... edited) evidence we have shows the reverse to be more accurate. Even in the (unlikely) circumstance of her wanting to jettison the hunks over the joes, that's STILL not going to be obvious from the article, because the producers wouldn't want to indicate that they had a deliberate plan for the hunks to be arrogrant and unlikable. And since the reasons why she needed to be persuaded to pick equal numbers is left out... (she didn't want to lead on the Joes being one possible reason with a good spin, if the Joes were who she had to be persuaded to keep), all we can assume--all this tidbit is LETTING us assume--is the worst.
    Last edited by Krom; 01-21-2004 at 01:12 PM.

I have been thinking about the last unfair rule to be presented to us at this time. I don't like it, she should not have to pick anyone to stay or go that is not her decision. Editing I understand, controlling the outcome is way overboard IMO

So, we have no idea who she really likes or dislikes as a person, she is just going along with the program. and David is there for our entertainment

I understand the need for the rule for dramatic reasons. What I don't understand is the producers ADMITTING that she had to be talked into it whereas Melena didn't--heck, in fact, going a bit further and not telling us WHY she had to be. It leaves people to wonder and come to the worst possible conclusion, when in fact there are at least two possible conclusions which occur to me which aren't as ugly as some of what people might "assume".

on vacation
    Sad, really sad. Admitting that they controlled the outcome to me is just stupid. In essence, nothing about the show is real then and the fact that the female has to be practically coerced into it, well it pretty much takes most of the entertainment out of this show for me.

Yes, either they've admitted she was manipulated into keeping Joes she had no intention of ever wanting, or she was manipulated into hating Hunks, because all of the Hunks were made monsterous. Either way... this ain't reality.

I was surprised by the rule, but upon further reflection, I don't see a problem with it.

It just means that Larissa has to pick one Joe she wouldn't mind keeping around until the end, and one Hunk she wouldn't mind. Then she knows she's got to make a decision between them.

Assuming that she's had a chance to get to know the Joes, she's probably already found "the one" she wants until the end. Now it's time for the Hunks.

The whole thing is absolutely ludicrous to me. The AJ's are so below average and dorky - why would any normal girl want one, let alone a beauty queen. I suppose that is why they feel they must manipulate the ending.

Melana's Joes were so much better than these. At least she had something to pick from with them. This girl has a choice between bad and worse.

The hunks are just there to make her look bad if she picks one and to antagonize the Joes by acting arrogant (as we see from the clips). She loses in any case. What a joke and what a stupid, stupid show. I just read the recaps and don't bother watching. (And we thought Cupid was bad!)

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aname
    The whole thing is absolutely ludicrous to me. The AJ's are so below average and dorky - why would any normal girl want one, let alone a beauty queen. I suppose that is why they feel they must manipulate the ending.

Melana's Joes were so much better than these. At least she had something to pick from with them. This girl has a choice between bad and worse.

The hunks are just there to make her look bad if she picks one and to antagonize the Joes by acting arrogant (as we see from the clips). She loses in any case. What a joke and what a stupid, stupid show. I just read the recaps and don't bother watching. (And we thought Cupid was bad!)

I dont know Michael is better looking then any of the Joes from the first time around in my opinion and Fredo,Tony, and Brian G are very comparable to people like John, Zach, and Adam in the looks department at least. Both groups, with some exceptions,contained mostly below avearge looking guys.
    Last edited by Brannigan73; 01-21-2004 at 05:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast