+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nerds Vs Hunks.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasGrumby
    There wasn't really a big difference in the IQ test scores. In fact, I don't think it's even double digits. I assumed the Average Joes would win that but half of them are not really that smart, I actually thought they would leave the hunks in the dust. The next challenges were catered in order for the hunks to win. It was interesting because in AJ1 they were expecting the hunks to win the basketball game but they lost, they made sure this time that the Joes would lose. This time they changed it to dodge ball and the whole skins vs shirts thing was not even necessary for that game since it's not basketball. Of course, hunks should win so they can have chance to have some time with the girl, else she'll have no chance of knowing them and would end up getting eliminated (although sometimes not spending time with her enough could be a good thing and she'd only let you stay because she wanted to spend more time with you). In the end, the hunks will win only because I don't think she's really PHYSICALLY attracted to the AJs. They are probably good buddies for her but without romantic involvements.

Let's be real, in order for one to be romantically involved, there should be at least some physical attraction especially if you are going to go all the way with this person. That skinny guy with the glasses and long curly hair kissed her on the lips but she really didn't kiss back. Obviously he's only there because she found him a nice person. These guys should not be fooling themselves, there's only romantic chemistry if she admits to it....and not because they think there is. One could click with someone but it doesn't mean one could be sexual with that person. Also, if the girl is a plain one, these guys wouldn't be so motivated to stay in the game, they are also in there because of the girl's looks so they shouldn't be so pissed about it.
    I have to agree Jonas. If it weren't for a few of the AJs (Tony) skewing the IQ test, the "hunks" may have took that contest too. You hear people say everyday that looks don't matter, but deep down we all know that looks do matter. A guy could be the perfect match for a woman, personality wise, but if he doesn't have the right look in her eyes, she would probably never give him a chance (in a bar scene, for example). I'm not afraid to admit that looks play a big part in my decision to date someone. I want someone that takes care of their body, just as I do, so that automatically eliminates those who are overweight. Call me shallow, if you must. I'm not saying that they are bad people, but that's just not what I'm looking for. Just as others prefer the Italian type, tall, dark, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Watcher
    I have to agree Jonas. If it weren't for a few of the AJs (Tony) skewing the IQ test, the "hunks" may have took that contest too. You hear people say everyday that looks don't matter, but deep down we all know that looks do matter. A guy could be the perfect match for a woman, personality wise, but if he doesn't have the right look in her eyes, she would probably never give him a chance (in a bar scene, for example). I'm not afraid to admit that looks play a big part in my decision to date someone. I want someone that takes care of their body, just as I do, so that automatically eliminates those who are overweight. Call me shallow, if you must. I'm not saying that they are bad people, but that's just not what I'm looking for. Just as others prefer the Italian type, tall, dark, etc.
    I've got to agree with both Joe_Watcher and Jonas: you have to be realistic with who you are and what you can attract.

If a person's honest about it, the winnowing process goes:

1) Looks
    2) Personality
    3) Financial Security
    4) Long Range Compatability

If you're meeting someone at a bar, a wedding, or at a party, unless they're walking around with their Financial Statement stapled to their ass and a medal around their neck saying, "One heckofa guy/gal", you're going to go for the "looks".

After all, why should humans be any different than any other animal: they want the best, the brightest, the smartest and the ones most likely to succeed. Slow, dimwitted, poor physcial condition or any other negative attribute in the Animal Kingdom keeps them out of the gene pool.

If it's good enough for Darwin's pals, it's good enough for me!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I agree with your list to a point, lambikins...though personally I would switch 3 and 4 around. I think it is true that looks are what initially draw you to a person - you can't see someone's great personality from across the room. On the other hand, I have dated men who weren't "hunks" at all...it was their personality that won me over.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Bill Gates is where he is because he had the right vision... It has absolutely nothing to do with his looks.
    Bill Gates was the ultimate geek in high school. Not only did he Not exercise regularly, he often did not eat or sleep regularly. He was so obsessed with computer programming Gates would frequuently spend the night in his school's computer room, sometime sleeping on the floor when tired. In those days (70's), there were no home or personal computers, only large mainframe computers in major schools or corporations. During the day, the computer terminals were busy occupied by others, so he had to use computer time overnight.

Gates wrote DOS operating system for personal/geekfriends to use, NOT as a "vision". In those days, only geeks used computers. His mom's friend, president of IBM, needed an operating system to run a new line of small/home computers. Gates' lawyer father negotiated a farsighted deal where Bill would get a few dollars for EVERY computer sold. IBM sold millions and Gates made several millions from one program.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaicee
    Bill Gates is where he is because he had the right vision... It has absolutely nothing to do with his looks. .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill747
    Bill Gates was the ultimate geek in high school. Not only did he Not exercise regularly, he often did not eat or sleep regularly. He was so obsessed with computer programming Gates would frequuently spend the night in his school's computer room, sometime sleeping on the floor when tired. In those days (70's), there were no home or personal computers, only large mainframe computers in major schools or corporations. During the day, the computer terminals were busy occupied by others, so he had to use computer time overnight.

Gates wrote DOS operating system for personal/geekfriends to use, NOT as a "vision". In those days, only geeks used computers. His mom's friend, president of IBM, needed an operating system to run a new line of small/home computers. Gates' lawyer father negotiated a farsighted deal where Bill would get a few dollars for EVERY computer sold. IBM sold millions and Gates made several millions from one program.
    Uhmmm...it still has nothing to do with his looks. I'm not going to argue what Bill Gates did or did not do...the point is: he would have been sucessful even if he were good-looking and excercised in the gym during the day.

Kaicee
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Uhmmm...it still has nothing to do with his looks. I'm not going to argue what Bill Gates did or did not do...the point is: he would have been sucessful even if he were good-looking and excercised in the gym during the day.

Kaicee
    And how would you know this? I think it's dumb to speculate either way..

KaiCee, I believe we've both been on the same track. I enjoyed your post.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    I agree with your list to a point, lambikins...though personally I would switch 3 and 4 around. I think it is true that looks are what initially draw you to a person - you can't see someone's great personality from across the room. On the other hand, I have dated men who weren't "hunks" at all...it was their personality that won me over.
    Wayward: I debated quite a bit about which order 3 and 4 should go into, but opted to put Financial Security ahead of Long Range Compatability for this reason: if you are with a person long enough (you'd determine the length: hours; days; months), if THEY were unemployed or in a low end job that was going nowhere, it would most certainly influence your pick of a Mate, although, not perhaps a Date. Being Poor certainly influences Long Range Compatability and common goals.

Jason on the old AJ was Tarred and Feathered by the posters here, for "being a student and living in his parents basement."
    Now, I'm not talking about a King's Ransom here: I'm saying enough money to meet living expenses and a little bit extra. But, for the person who wants to travel, enjoy owning a home, and maybe TWO cars, all divorce lawyers know that it's Sexual Compatibility AND Money that end marriages/partnerships.

And I don't understand a whit about what Bill Gates has to do about anything! He's an namely onto himself, like Oprah, Tiger Woods, Albert Einstein, and Mike Jordon. They're beyond the reaches of 99% of the population: average or above average.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    If a person's honest about it, the winnowing process goes:

1) Looks
    2) Personality
    3) Financial Security
    4) Long Range Compatability
    I agree too, but when I was looking, after a short while I changed criterion number 1 from "Am I attracted physically to this person?" to "Am I not unattracted to this person?" Ultimately, the looks don't matter nearly as much as day-to-day enjoying each other's company and, in time, we all lose the looks we had anyway. (Have you seen Paul Newman lately? Handsome for an older man, but hardly the hottie he was.)

Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    I agree too, but when I was looking, after a short while I changed criterion number 1 from "Am I attracted physically to this person?" to "Am I not unattracted to this person?" Ultimately, the looks don't matter nearly as much as day-to-day enjoying each other's company and, in time, we all lose the looks we had anyway. (Have you seen Paul Newman lately? Handsome for an older man, but hardly the hottie he was.)
    That's certainly an interesting twist to that line of thought, overthetop, and I'm glad that it worked out so well for you. It certainly opens up the dating market much wider.

Regarding Paul Newman, you can't compare someone who is in their 80's to the normal dating age range. I watched a BIOGRAPHY show on Paul a couple of weeks ago, and loved watching his features change and soften throughout the decades. But, he is still a stunningly handsome man and that is, in part, because he took care of himself.

Can you imagine Sean, Bill H, or Fredo in their 80's and what they'd look like? Extreme age is rarely flattering to anyone and ususally those people aren't on dating shows!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast