+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nerds Vs Hunks.

Nerds vs. Hunks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill747
    In the long term, nerds are usually more successful than hunks, at least financially. The coming boatload of hunks probably have the combined IQ of a halfwit.

Simple logic dictates that when a man spends countless hours at the gym to develop a rip stomach, he would not have time to develop his education or his career.

At my high school reunion, the jocks and hunks often ends up being failed pro athletes, construction workers and garbage collectors. The nerds and geeks often end up being lawyers, doctors and CEO's.

It is no accident that the richest man in the world (currently Bill Gates) is usually a geek. It was not surprising that Average Adam is a successful stock trader whereas Hunk Jason is a waiter who lives in his parents' basement.

I agree to a point. If you look at the bachelor lineup for the Bachelorette Series this year and read thier bios you will see a chain of Hunks with very succssful careers, some own thier own businesses, others are pro sports players - all are inteligent and smart as whips. Bill Gates is the exception to the rule. And I don't think he is a nerd in personality. That's part of the Average Joe's personality - they don't have Bill Gates forsight or confidence

FORT Fan
    I think we stereotype "hunks" as "unsuccessful" because these are the types we see on TV (like Jason on AJ1). I'm sure there are successful hunks with full-fledged careers who are too busy or couldn't care less for a reality TV show. Obviously, they don't have a dearth of women in their lives.

On the other hand, there are successful and unsuccessful nerds too. Bill Gates is an example of a successful nerd, and the unsuccessful ones are the ones that bitch and moan and complain about how unfair the world is and all that (some some of the ones on this show). One's lack of looks does not necessarily have to be compensated by greater IQ or ability.

Why are we assuming that just because Jason is a waiter who lives with his parents while paying his way through school makes him a low income loser? Is it because he happens to be a hunk? I liked Jason. He was cute, but he was also down to earth and nice in the traditional sense of the word. At least that's how he came off on the show. I'm having a hard time locating a similar personality in this new batch though.

Careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spritz
    Some (geeks) know how to be successful, but some are like my ex, who was still mad at the way they were treated in life and can't make their life better.
    True. Some nerds are less successful than others; there is great variations among geeks in terms of career/financial success.

For hunks, there is more commonality. They are usually limited to:
    (1) waiters
    (2) models
    (3) personal trainers
    (4) construction workers.
    {5) glorified salesmen.
    I.E. adertising; marketers; marketing,VP; president(self-employed contract/commission salesman).

I've never watched Bachelor/Bachelorete. But regarding their supposedly successful hunks:
    Less than 1% of high school/college jocks get into major league sports.
    Anybody can own their own company ( of 1); you just need a name, a title and some stationary.
    Last edited by Bill747; 01-27-2004 at 05:10 PM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

True. Some nerds are less successful than others; there is great variations among geeks in terms of career/financial success.

For hunks, there is more commonality. They are usually limited to:
    (1) waiters
    (2) models
    (3) personal trainers
    (4) construction workers.
    {5) glorified salesmen.
    I.E. adertising; marketers; marketing,VP; president(self-employed contract/commission salesman).

I've never watched Bachelor/Bachelorete. But regarding their supposedly successful hunks:
    Less than 1% of high school/college jocks get into major league sports.
    Anybody can own their own company ( of 1); you just need a name, a title and some stationary.
    ...Bill, not to mean or anything, but haven't you ever known a sucessful hunk in real life??? Because I know several men who are good-looking, intelligent, have good professional or academic careers and are usually () married or attached to someone.* So I really have no idea where you get this hunks-only-go-into-certain-fields thing from.

*Sometimes they're gay too. Damn those sexy gay men!

Quote Originally Posted by mariagoner
    ...Bill, not to mean or anything, but haven't you ever known a sucessful hunk in real life??? Because I know several men who are good-looking, intelligent, have good professional or academic careers and are usually () married or attached to someone.* So I really have no idea where you get this hunks-only-go-into-certain-fields thing from.

*Sometimes they're gay too. Damn those sexy gay men!

George Clooney. Brad Pitt. Keiffer Sutherland. Sean Connery. Orlando Bloom.

Good looking, intelligent, professional careers.

They also waited tables, flipped burgers or were telemarketers.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

My counter arguments against hunks being superior in every way applies equally to gays. We are all human beings limited to 24 hours per day. When we concentrate on and excel in one field, we're usually lacking in another.

As a single straight man, I especially resent the myth that single gay men are necessarily superior in every way. The gay guy I 've met, spent 45 minutes in the washroom preening himself before going out, vs the 5 - 10 minutes for most straight guys. Most gays also party a lot more than some straight guys.
    If anything, gay guys have less time to devote to higher priority projects.
    Last edited by Bill747; 01-28-2004 at 12:46 AM.

Huh?

Why don't we just say that all stereotypes are wrong and leave it at that?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

My counter arguments against hunks being superior in every way applies equally to gays. We are all human beings limited to 24 hours per day. When we concentrate on and excel in one field, we're usually lacking in another.

You lost me here. Who the hell said anything about hunks being superior to gays, of all people???

My counter arguments against hunks being superior (to nerds) in every way applies equally to gay (unmarried men being superior to straight unmarried men).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast