+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nerds Vs Hunks.

FORT Fogey
    >Some had full scholarships to ivy league schools - >for sports - but they're also smart as hell.

A lot of athletes have many more doors open to them than other students, but Ivy athletes do not benefit from scholarships...I believe we are the final holdout conference to ban athletic scholarships (the Patriot League began a few years ago).

But in real life... I'd take a nerd. Or rather, I'd a take a career-orientated person who is still reasonably attractive and has good social-skills. Try to get a little bit of everything good, I guess.

*yoo hoo....over here! over here!*

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL1
    A lot of athletes have many more doors open to them than other students, but Ivy athletes do not benefit from scholarships...I believe we are the final holdout conference to ban athletic scholarships (the Patriot League began a few years ago).
    My bad.. They play on the school teams and they have full scholarships, so I assumed they would be athletic, since sports scholarships are common. They must be academic scholarships then.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    This is the way to go and the one that I took. If you have spent as much time developing your personality as your pecs (called "balance"), have good hygiene and dress flatteringly (not necessarily well off), you're a dating Gold Mine.
    The problem is, though, that men like these are either taken or gay. Metrosexuals (or even men that are less extreme) are an unfortunately small breed, damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by mariagoner
    Metrosexuals (or even men that are less extreme) are an unfortunately small breed, damn it.
    And here in (my area) of the South they're an endangered species. Lots of rednecks to pick from, however!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by mariagoner
    The problem is, though, that men like these are either taken or gay. Metrosexuals (or even men that are less extreme) are an unfortunately small breed, damn it.

*clears throat a little louder* AHEM....excuse me...over here!

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    *clears throat a little louder* AHEM....excuse me...over here!
    It's like he's trying to tell me something... but... I can't quite understand what he's trying to say...

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    These guys know they are good looking....I bet it makes some of them insufferable...some ...I wish all of them will be denser than fog in the North Atlantic....and one or two I will hate cos they have everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by museumguy
    These guys know they are good looking....I bet it makes some of them insufferable...some ...I wish all of them will be denser than fog in the North Atlantic....and one or two I will hate cos they have everything.....
    Sorry, museumguy, but I know PLENTY of insufferable 'average' to 'ugly' people in real life. People that are filled with anger, rage or prejudice which oozes out of them and wants to take you down, like the Ring in LoTR.

Why shouldn't a person who looks good "know" it? They look in mirrors, right? In reverse, does an "average" or "ugly" person know that they are ugly or average, and wouldn't that fact make THEM insufferable?

My roommate is Average and dumber than a box of rocks IN fog in the North Atlantic; looks don't have anything to do with intelligence.

Some of the nicest people that I've ever met were "lookers" because they had to try harder than most people to climb the hill of prejudice that they were saddled with, simply because of the genetic roll of the dice.

On the other hand, some of the shallowest, meanest people that I've ever had the misfortune to meet were Average Janes and Joes, who thought cosmetic surgery would make them "beautiful"; but as the old adage goes, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

I'm sorry if I'm too sensitive to people slashing at the good looking contestants but my mom was a model all of her life and I remember the cruel things that people would say, in LOUD voices, as we stood in grocery lines, K-Mart, or the gas station.

One time, we were standing in line at a grocery store, when the women in front of us turned to her husband, as my mom was loading the groceries onto the check out counter. She said, loudly, "I'm surprised she can do her own shopping! She might bust a nail or ruin that pretty shirt of hers."

As the woman left, she dropped the money that she had been trying to place in her coat pocket and it fell to the floor, unbeknown to her. When she and her husband were rolling their cart away from the check out, my mom picked it up and ran over to her, tapping her on the shoulder. The woman turned around, gave my mom an angry look and said, "What!?" Mom just smiled and said, "I saw you drop your cash. Here you go." The woman mumbled something, maybe a "Thank you", maybe not, and she slunk away, with her husband poking her and saying, "You can't judge a book by it's cover."

I'll snark the contestants with the best of them, but, I'll reserve judgments about intelligence and personality until they hang themselves, once the show airs.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Sorry, museumguy, but I know PLENTY of insufferable 'average' to 'ugly' people in real life. People that are filled with anger, rage or prejudice which oozes out of them and wants to take you down, like the Ring in LoTR.

Why shouldn't a person who looks good "know" it? They look in mirrors, right? In reverse, does an "average" or "ugly" person know that they are ugly or average, and wouldn't that fact make THEM insufferable?

I'll snark the contestants with the best of them, but, I'll reserve judgments about intelligence and personality until they hang themselves, once the show airs.
    Very good points, lambikins. It is likely that some of the hunks will have good personalities and some won't, same as the Joes. We should resume the snarking once we find out

I think what a lot of people react to is stuff like what has been shown in the previews: the guy from the limo raises his shirt to show his perfect body and says, "Now they will have to compete with this". :rolleyes There are certainly many good-looking people who are totally vain and think that all they need in life is their looks. How can you help but disregard their intellectual capacity when they present themselves that way? In a way, it shows their own insecurities if they think that a hot bod is all they have to offer.

But it is certainly unfair to assume that all hotties are dummies, or that all uglies are smarties.

I'd just like to add that I wish they would never introduce the "hunks" into this game after it has started. If they wanted to start with a wider variety of looks and personalities, that would be great, and probably a more accurate sample of what "average" really is. I think it would be much more interesting and less contrived to see the competition play out between the original contestants who have all been there since the first day. I was really enjoying the first average Joe and the competition between John, Adam, and Zack. The show went downhill when they introduced the hunks...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast