+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Average Jane?!

  1. #1
    FORT Fan RachelC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    177

    Average Jane?!

    Can you imagine if NBC brought in a hot guy and then slammed him with 18 overweight and/or unattractive girls??
    I don't even think that the guy could pretend..

  2. #2
    America's Next Sassypants velveteenidol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelC
    Can you imagine if NBC brought in a hot guy and then slammed him with 18 overweight and/or unattractive girls??
    I don't even think that the guy could pretend..
    And after all the lawsuits were filed against NBC by every conceivable womens lib group, I don't think they'd even be in business.

    Do you guys think that a show with such a premise would be a hit? Or even make it to the air, for that matter?

  3. #3
    FORT Fogey Glitternerfball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    858
    I wouldnt' work, it's not in our culture.

    All of our fairy tales (frog prince, beauty and the beast, etc.) teach that a woman is to love a man no matter what they look like, for inside is the heart of a prince, and that's what matters, blah blah blah.

    While there is cinderella, swan girl, etc- all the women are pretty, just a little dirty. And the prince falls in love with them once they're beautiful.

    Men are not programmed, as women are, to look beyond the exterior. That show would just be cruel to the women. Granted, there are men out there who have learned to see differently, and I'm searching for one, and who find beauty in intelligence etc, I'm not a total cynic, but I'm a realitytv cynic.

    Even if it was an average Jane, being introduced to Average Joes, it wouldn't work. The female would feel disappointed that they're not hunks, the men would feel cheated that she wasn't hollywood beautiful - it would be interesting to see how egos would come into play if it was a show of all 'average' folks.

  4. #4
    FORT Fan RachelC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    177
    they just wouldn't have an audience willing/wanting to watch average girls run around in bathing suits..It almost seems like women would be a little more aware then the men who seem to think that this girl is attracted to them.

  5. #5
    FORT Newbie once_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    texas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9
    i think women are to sensitive to do something like that. i feel sorry just watching the men get portrayed as rejects.

  6. #6
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776
    I happened to see a "Rikki Lake" show today, which is odd becuse I never watch talk; I stopped on this one because it was sort of a "mini reality show" if that's a good word for it. They had a guy on there who WANTED to meet "big, beautiful, women" and he would select one. This guy was young and actually cute although he wasn't that big he wasn't a little bitty man like most "chubby chasers"--and he was an ex- Marine! He seemed to be thrilled by the women who mostly looked to be size 18-20 and tall, even a few bigger. I thought it was great because the women were dressed nicely and did show that bigger people are not all slobs. I could see them doing a series like this, but I think they would have to find a guy like this one to do it with.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  7. #7
    FORT Regular RushVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by once_again
    i think women are to sensitive to do something like that. i feel sorry just watching the men get portrayed as rejects.
    Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. Obviously these guys don't care (at least initially) if they look like fools on TV. Women wouldn't put themselves through that...

    Also, they all think that they stand out from the rest of their sorry lot, which cracks me up.

  8. #8
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    I completely agree with all the posters above.

    Plus, remember that the premise of this show, as 'sold' to the Joes, was "The Life of the Party. I hang with some wild women, who are notorious partiers, but they'd call themselves Party Girls, never the above description. As they themselves would say, Party Girls have the right looks, the right shoes, and the right attitude when they "go on the pull" (a U.K. term) to hook up at parties.

    All that I could imagine would happen if there was an Average Jane, is seeing 18 women burst into tears throughout the show and 18 psychiatrists getting richer in the months ahead.

  9. #9
    FORT Fan RachelC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    177
    I honestly don't think that most of them think or ever will think that they look like fools. No one seemed to notice that the whole lot of them left much to be desired. (I think Mike might have made a comment?)

  10. #10
    FORT Fogey aname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    I wouldnt' work, it's not in our culture.

    All of our fairy tales (frog prince, beauty and the beast, etc.) teach that a woman is to love a man no matter what they look like, for inside is the heart of a prince, and that's what matters, blah blah blah.

    While there is cinderella, swan girl, etc- all the women are pretty, just a little dirty. And the prince falls in love with them once they're beautiful.

    Men are not programmed, as women are, to look beyond the exterior. That show would just be cruel to the women. Granted, there are men out there who have learned to see differently, and I'm searching for one, and who find beauty in intelligence etc, I'm not a total cynic, but I'm a realitytv cynic.

    Even if it was an average Jane, being introduced to Average Joes, it wouldn't work. The female would feel disappointed that they're not hunks, the men would feel cheated that she wasn't hollywood beautiful - it would be interesting to see how egos would come into play if it was a show of all 'average' folks.

    Whoever you are - you hit the nail on the head - very astute in your analysis. Men, no matter how attractive or unattractive seem to think they deserve a physically beautiful woman as a mate. They desire a fantasy woman. There are exceptions to this but not many. Women, however, are more realistic about both themselves and what they look for in a mate. Physical beauty is not necessarily a prerequisite for a woman. Brains, earning potential, and sexual sensitivity to a woman's needs also rank very high.

    Also - men are a lot less sensitive about their looks than women are and less likely to be insulted if rebuffed. As we've seen on other shows - even beautiful women are insecure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.