+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Average Jane?!

I'm already set to be the star hunk of Average Jane. However, since i've already seen Average Joe, it will be interesting to see what curve balls they throw me. I'm definitely not banging any phat chicks

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    This is such an interesting thread.

It's so true, all of the above statements, and sad. I've thought quite a bit about all of this today, calling to mind the TV shows that are currently on the air and the discrepancy between the women and the men.

In KING OF THE HILL; YES, DEAR; THE SIMPSON'S; and the other litany of Sitcoms out there, the woman is always thin and well kept up. The men are "robust, rotund, fat, and or, just lazy asses", yet that Little Gal just loves her lovable lout.

The only show that I can even think about that had a heavy-set lead was ROSEANNE, and naturally, she had to have a heavy-set husband. No offense to John Goodman, but, couldn't they have cast a slim to normal sized man in the role, and shown that men are as accepting as women?

Alas, no. No matter how many of us reality TV folks would like to see an Average Jane show, I can't imagine it happening, unless part of the premise was that she got a make-over half way through the show.

Yup, we're locked into stereotypes with a dead-bolt lock.

How about the Jeffersons?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock
    How about the Jeffersons?
    I never watched that show (away at Uni), so I have no memory of it.

However, you hit on something important. I've seen commercials for many of the Black Comedies out there today, and they are able to cast a nice number of Big, Beautiful Women who look gorgeous, are well-dressed and DO get the man. But, with both the Hispanic and African-American communities, I've experienced first hand that the men and women truly are capable of seeing the beauty in every size.

My work crew is 100% Hispanic, ranging in age from 18 to 53, and just listening to them talk when a women walks by, they seem to find something to appreciate and admire in every size.

I just seems that for Caucasian society, we're fixated on fit and trim, espcially for the women.

on vacation
    My 21 yr old son and I watched this show together last night. He even remarked to me that he wondered what would happen if they ever tried doing it with one guy and the Average Jane's by saying guys are too insecure to ever do anything like that. I think it's true too beyond what's been said, but let me ask you this. Ever notice a hot girl with a guy you might not exactly see her with?

Now how about reversing that?

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminginblond
    Ever notice a hot girl with a guy you might not exactly see her with?

Now how about reversing that?

I've probably talked about this before... but yes. My buddy's little brother is a very attractive guy, and he's getting married to a girl who's probably got 100 lbs on him. She's got such a great personality that it doesn't really matter. Like I said the last time this was brought up, I'm actually jealous of the guy.

I've got a college buddy who's incredibly good looking, but all the girls he dates are plain Janes. So there's always exceptions. But the overwhelming majority of handsome guys will preferentially go for the hotties. I've never dated an Average Jane.

I think they should do a show with women who are not beauty queens. And I definately think people would watch it.

(In reply to Lambikins) King of the Hill? Peggy Hill? I never really considered her to be much of a babe

I think we need the balance

They should have an Average Jane show just to show what would happen if the shoe is on the other foot.

"The definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Quote Originally Posted by soybean
    I think they should do a show with women who are not beauty queens. And I definately think people would watch it.

(In reply to Lambikins) King of the Hill? Peggy Hill? I never really considered her to be much of a babe
    I think Lambikins meant King of Queens.

on vacation
    I admit I'd like to see the Average Jane show too. I think one of the reasons you see Average Joe doing better is because it's in guys head (somewhat) to adore the hot chick from afar and while girls will do that from afar also, girls will actually talk about it and their own faults much more than guys will. I think girls are far more critical of themselves than guys are. I think another reason there isn't an Average Jane show is because it would be a sob-fest.

Also another show which shows the somewhat hot wife with the not so hot (neurotic) husband is Everyone Loves Raymond if that wasn't mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast