+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Average Jane?!

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    This is such an interesting thread.

    It's so true, all of the above statements, and sad. I've thought quite a bit about all of this today, calling to mind the TV shows that are currently on the air and the discrepancy between the women and the men.

    In KING OF THE HILL; YES, DEAR; THE SIMPSON'S; and the other litany of Sitcoms out there, the woman is always thin and well kept up. The men are "robust, rotund, fat, and or, just lazy asses", yet that Little Gal just loves her lovable lout.

    The only show that I can even think about that had a heavy-set lead was ROSEANNE, and naturally, she had to have a heavy-set husband. No offense to John Goodman, but, couldn't they have cast a slim to normal sized man in the role, and shown that men are as accepting as women?

    Alas, no. No matter how many of us reality TV folks would like to see an Average Jane show, I can't imagine it happening, unless part of the premise was that she got a make-over half way through the show.

    Yup, we're locked into stereotypes with a dead-bolt lock.

  2. #12
    Rab
    Rab is offline
    Brave Little Toaster Rab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    970
    Wouldn't having their hearts broken by the Bachelor be enough? I don't think the women could handle anymore drama.

  3. #13
    FORT Fan mariagoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    290
    When you make sport of homely men, it's hilarious. When you make sport of homely women, it's borderline abusive.

    That distinction is why Average Jane will likely never see the light of day.

  4. #14
    Do the Kirby! Healblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    440
    In keeping with lambikins idea and concerning "Roseanne":

    Keep in mind that Dan left Roseanne near the end of the series. While this may show a perceived "need" for a more attractive mate, I prefer to think of it as him having a mid-life crisis that he handled as badly as humanly possible.

    After all, if your wife of many years and the mother of your 3 children won the lottery and was waiting, desperately wanting and hoping to take you back with open arms... wouldn't you go back to her? Oh well, maybe I just miss that sitcom...

  5. #15
    Jedi Knight Play Doh Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In the sit and spin in the alley
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Healblade
    In keeping with lambikins idea and concerning "Roseanne":
    Keep in mind that Dan left Roseanne near the end of the series. While this may show a perceived "need" for a more attractive mate, I prefer to think of it as him having a mid-life crisis that he handled as badly as humanly possible.
    He died of a heart attack, he didn't leave her.

  6. #16
    Hypermediocrity Amanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Play Doh Rocks
    He died of a heart attack, he didn't leave her.
    Oh man, I hate that I know this.

    BUT...

    Dan took off at some point in the last season to be with his sick mom in, I believe, California. While he was away on this extended trip, he started an affair with his mother's nurse.

    Now, although it came out at the end of the series that it was a Dallas-esque dream and that Dan had actually died after his heart attack during Darlene's wedding, the show did write that dream storyline where he temporarily left Roseanne and was carrying on with the nurse chick.

    Any semblance of "cool" I ever had has just gone out the window.

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey mbcrowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    47
    Posts
    853
    I think it would be possible to find an open-minded decent looking guy to do a show with a bunch of average Jane's. I think they'd have more luck if they didn't throw in the "twist" of having a bunch of supermodels show up mid-way through, though.

    The problem, I believe, would be that no one would turn in to watch it. Viewers don't seem to mind the "ugly" or "dorky" guys - the female viewers are more open minded, and the male viewers are simply laughing at the guys and drooling over the girl. I'm not sure it would be watched much if it were the other way around.

  8. #18
    It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Oh man, I hate that I know this..
    Hahaha! You go down in history as someone who knows what happened to Dan (actually, I'm glad you did know because I was reading this thread thinking "what did happen to Dan?" I watched a lot of the series, but not the last season apparently.


    Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder
    I think it would be possible to find an open-minded decent looking guy to do a show with a bunch of average Jane's. I think they'd have more luck if they didn't throw in the "twist" of having a bunch of supermodels show up mid-way through, though..
    Yep, you could probably find one guy that would agree to be set up with some Average Janes....but the keyword would be "Average" -- I don't think most guys are as tolerant about the really below average looking as women are (as someone said in an earlier post...women are trained from childhood to see the value in the beasts, frogs, etc...they may just turn into princes!).

    I don't know if there is a woman alive who would still remain on the show if they brought in a bunch of models/beauty queens though. I know I sure wouldn't. But then again, there is no way anyone would get a picture of me in a swimsuit if I had a few pounds on me. I wouldn't be filmed without makeup either. Maybe women are more vain than men? I know I am pretty vain.

    KC

  9. #19
    FORT Fan mariagoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee

    I don't know if there is a woman alive who would still remain on the show if they brought in a bunch of models/beauty queens though. I know I sure wouldn't. But then again, there is no way anyone would get a picture of me in a swimsuit if I had a few pounds on me. I wouldn't be filmed without makeup either. Maybe women are more vain than men? I know I am pretty vain.

    KC
    I don't know if women are more vain, but I certainly know women are practically conditioned to be more obessive about their looks. That's why women's magazines tend to spend 80% of their content to urging women to buy better hair, clothes and boobs, and the other 20% telling them not to have eating disorders.

    Even if some average looking women end up being tricked into being contestants of Average Jane, I'm sure half of them would simply quit, rather than end up as TV's representation of "plain women."

  10. #20
    harmless dolphin martini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The new South
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by mariagoner
    I don't know if women are more vain, but I certainly know women are practically conditioned to be more obessive about their looks. That's why women's magazines tend to spend 80% of their content to urging women to buy better hair, clothes and boobs, and the other 20% telling them not to have eating disorders.

    Even if some average looking women end up being tricked into being contestants of Average Jane, I'm sure half of them would simply quit, rather than end up as TV's representation of "plain women."
    Though in "real life" as opposed to tv life, I have noticed really pretty girls (friends of mine) hooking up with so-so looking guys. The guys are usually #1 funny #2 considerate #3 financially stable. I think to girls "he has a nice personality" goes a lot farther than it does with guys. And perhaps, we don't face the ridicule of our friends for dating an ordinary guy. Now... Average Joe doesn't look for ordinary guys. It is having more fun in some cases with a sort of an intentional freak-fest. Though, with some personality-related exceptions, many of those guys seem just a Queer Eye makeover or Atkins Diet away from being catches.

    I am curious about the "now available" website. Anyone on FORT got a date with an Average Joe?
    Shaken, not stirred.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.