+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Boston men more 'Average' than others?

Are Boston men more 'Average' than others?

Are Boston men more 'Average' than others?

Of the 18 contestants on "Average Joe: Hawaii," which debuts Monday, eight hail from Beantown. The producers say that's no accident.

By Suzanne C. Ryan
    The Boston Globe

Boston is renowned nationally for its hospitals, its universities, its beloved Fenway Park.

Now add mediocre-looking men to the list.

For "Average Joe: Hawaii," the new season of the hit television reality series - in which 18 ordinary-looking bachelors will woo a former beauty queen - NBC deliberately targeted Boston and selected almost half of the show's contestants from the area.

The eight Boston Joes who'll vie for the top prize include an administrative assistant, a sewer contractor, an environmental scientist, and two accountants. All of them are big in the personality department, but they'll probably never land on the cover of "GQ."

As the series sets to debut Monday,, Bostonians are left to wonder: Is this the home of the homely?

Don't feel too bad, says Brandeis University film studies professor Thomas Doherty. He figures that NBC was probably drawn here by Boston's "blue-collar mystique."

"Think of 'Cheers' or 'Mystic River.' Boston's image is a blend of the blue-collar and the savvy," suggests Doherty, who says the city has every reason to be proud of its image. "We're not 'Below Average Joe,' " he says. "Our men are the kind of guys who pull over if they see your car has broken down. Even if some of us don't have the money or the looks, we're still decent."

Joseph Boskin, a professor emeritus of American culture at Boston University, has a different explanation. He points his finger across the Charles River.

"This is MIT's fault," he says. "[The producers] are homing in on MIT's nerdiness. Boston is the hub of academia, and theoretically, academics are supposed to be the opposite of Tom Cruise. I have news for NBC. Underneath our glasses, we are all Cruises."

To be sure, the show's producers say, they never meant to offend anyone. "We were looking for larger-than-life personalities, people who are memorable. Boston is one of those urban meccas which breeds people who say what's on their mind," says Stuart Krasnow, an executive producer.

In this series, Larissa Meek, an artist and former Miss USA contestant, will spend several weeks getting to know the regular guys before eight hunks arrive to join the competition. Where did NBC recruit them?

Miami and Aspen, Colo., Krasnow says. "Those are cities where people who want to model end up."

Bostonian Brian Worth was recruited while sipping beers with a buddy last May at Ned Devine's/Parris in Faneuil Hall.

"My reaction was, 'What are you talking to me for?' " says Worth, who at 5-foot-9 and 155 pounds ranks himself a 7.5. "I'm no supermodel."

Worth listened carefully as the recruiter spent 30 minutes selling him on the idea of a free vacation in a tropical setting. "Would you have a problem getting in a hot tub with women on national television?" he was asked. Worth replied, "That's what I'm all about!"

Anthony Calandra landed on the show after impressing a casting agent with his sideburns, cut in the shape of stars, and his friendly personality as a bartender . "I didn't want to say, 'Oh, let me get on your show!' but I wanted a part," says Calandra, who was unaware of the plot twists involved. (The show was taped before this season's "Average Joe" aired.)

When he arrived in Hawaii and saw the cast, Calandra wasn't too thrilled, he says. "I was a little bit offended that I would be grouped in with these guys," says the 24-year-old, who is also a dental technician and graphic artist. "I don't consider myself a 10, but I'm not a 3 either. I really considered leaving."

Calandra stuck around, however, and is now happy he did. "I think it was a very original concept. It will bring to light how people obsess about looks. It definitely challenged the girl. And when I was there, I worried about not looking like a dork."

For his part, Phuc Lee, a 26-year-old accountant, says he had the time of his life on the show.

Spotted at a pool tournament, the boisterous Lee couldn't resist the chance to appear on TV. He arrived in Hawaii knowing there would be a twist to the show. "I was expecting someone who didn't speak English," he says.

When he saw the group he was lumped in with, all he could do was laugh. "Society judges a book by its cover, which is a shame," he says. "But life isn't fair. Hey, this is who I am America. If you don't like me, whatever."
    http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story160596.html

JR.
    Before anyone asks, no I did not apply

JR, we already know you're WAY above average

LG.
    JR is Beantown's most sought-after bachelor, that's for sure.

This article is very interesting. The most shocking revelation - Anthony's insane hairstyle is supposed to be "star-shaped sideburns". With his comment about "not being a 3" and wanting to leave makes me think Anthony is this season's Zach.

Phuc Lee "discovered" at a pool tournament, that sounds really interesting actually.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

JR.
    They had quite a few casting calls at the local hotspots for this show, Cupid, and B-ette. As if these places weren't packed with enough idiots already :rolleyes I wouldn't be surprised if they took the guys with the heaviest accents either.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Kansas women and Beantown guys...

two words...

wicked cool..

pronouced...wyicked...

In defense of Boston's menfolk: I'm from Canada, and not much of a traveller, but I took a trip to Beantown the last season the Garden was open to see my beloved Bruins. I fell completely in love with the city, and everyone in it! If you guys only had the health care system we have in Canada - I'd move to Boston in a heartbeat! (BTW - we beat the Montreal Canadiens 6-0 that night!)
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I'm from the Boston area (same town as cutie Phuc) and I gotta say, Boston boys are hotties! I constantly find myself drooling when I go home for a visit. Just got back from spending 2 weeks there and I miss it already!!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Life here in Our Fair City (as Click and Clack* say) is no different from anywhere else. There are plenty of good-looking guys in my running club, studly boys around the many Colleges, and attractive go-getters downtown. There are also plenty of average and below-average men.

You can't have above average without an equal number of below average. Otherwise, there ain't no average!

*If you don't know who C&C are, tune in NPR and listen to Car Talk.

Quote Originally Posted by museumguy
    Kansas women and Beantown guys...

two words...

wicked cool..

pronouced...wyicked...
    Did I hear "...it was wicked pissa meeting the guys...,"or was I flashing back to my youth?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast