+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Artist' Meek Seeks Her Place in History

'Artist' Meek Seeks Her Place in History

'Artist' Meek Seeks Her Place in History

By Frank Lovece
    Frank Lovece is a freelance writer.
    December 22, 2003

ALOHA JOEY. "It's something that's gonna be written about in history books," enthuses Larissa Meek, the guys' prize in "Average Joe Hawaii," debuting Jan. 5 on WNBC/4. A self-described "full-time artist" who wants to start a marketing and Web-design company, Meek was Miss Missouri USA 2001 - the year before initial "Average Joe" beauty Melana Scantlin held the title. It looks like the producers are turning Missouri into the Joe Me State.

But getting back to history: "As an artist," Meek says, she likes being involved with a reality show because of "the whole idea of being part of a movement in our history," and she wants "to add that to my art." They say Picasso did the same after being in "The Real World: Guernica."

"I don't think we went into this with any great moral lesson to be told," says Stuart Krasnow, the executive producer with Andrew Glassman. Well, that's a relief.
    http://www.nynewsday.com/entertainme...lash-headlines

Is she serious?

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    If her own web site is any indication, web design isn't her forte....not only is it slow to load...the look is "Barbie the early years"....

and the art....well its scary....

and she seems to have missed the point of Guerinica...which is hard to do given both its size and its frequency of study in both fine art and studio art classes.....

but she was serious enough about the art to enroll in the school at the Art Institute of Chicago...I just wish her works didn't look like Cubism meets Stan Lee......

Being an artist doesn't make her smart. Trust ME at my art school in NYC, there's many girls that make you wonder who gave them a High School Diploma.

Quote Originally Posted by museumguy
    If her own web site is any indication, web design isn't her forte....not only is it slow to load...the look is "Barbie the early years"....

and the art....well its scary....

and she seems to have missed the point of Guerinica...which is hard to do given both its size and its frequency of study in both fine art and studio art classes.....

but she was serious enough about the art to enroll in the school at the Art Institute of Chicago...I just wish her works didn't look like Cubism meets Stan Lee......
    I agree on all your points; most universities and art colleges are full of students who are "serious" about their art and totally dedicated to it, they just lack any real talent whatsoever. Obviously Larissa has learned to use the "craft" of painting-- how to use media, so forth, but the "art" part of it is missing. I think when people like this are being pushed to try to break away from trying to draw their subjects in absolute realism, all they can think to do is try to copy the style of other artists; usually Picasso, Matisse, or another equally well known artist; they just can't seem to make that step. For some reason I've noticed that the schools titled Art Institute of (fill in city) produce a lot of this type of "artist"
    Last edited by queenb; 01-06-2004 at 11:02 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread