+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Tony C.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    IWesleyKonrad= Thank you for sharing your story, and best of luck to your son. I'm sure he will have to deal with his share of ignorant teasing in his life, but I think he will find MORE kindness out there than you might presume.!
    Ditto to WesleyKonrad - I wish your son the best of luck. As a mother of a (now-adult) child who has a disease that causes minor deformity....I have to tell you that your son will face some real jerks, idiots, and various other *bleeps* in this world (especially in grade school through high school...kids are just mean sometimes). But, my son...now he is 30....he says that he thinks it can be an advantage to be a little different. He weeds out the jerks really quickly....it could take a normal looking guy YEARS to see the real a@@hole in these people.

As for our comments about Tony....most negative ones were made before we knew about his disorder. And to be fair...we trashed the other guys without health problems just as viciously - check out the David thread. His only abnormality is being (or acting as if) he is a overly loud and obnoxious presence. If that doesn't convince you....check out AJ1. We rooted for the underdog and trashed the perfect girl/ perfect boy combo. We are equal opportunity slammers

WesleyKonrad: you must be new to Message Boards, if you are shocked by the snarky comments HERE. This is one of the kindest boards that I've been on, regarding commenting about Reality TV. There are many other sites where a poster will say, "I think ____ should just DIE! Let's kill him/her!"

Yes! Your son WILL have to look forward to jerks, idiots, and others that pre-judge him. So will the people who come by the 1000's to audition for the viewing of millions on American Idol. And so will the person standing by the bus stop that has Palsy, Acne, Dandruff, a Weight Problem and anything else that people can judge, including extreme beauty.

Like other posters, I wish you and your son the best of luck, but you have to be realistic when you come to an internet message board that is generic in scope, rather than specific to a certain person. If given the chance, I doubt that a single person here would say ANY of the snarky comments about "bellies, ears, or eyebrows" to the person directly; however, with the anonymous nature of the internet, it provides a security in saying un-PC statements.

I've left boards that I found insulting; you'll have to chose for yourself if you want to continue reading the posters comments at FORT.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    lambikins, very well said. With that my friend, you get the.....

Cool Carrot Award for best post of the day. Congratulations!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WesleyKonrad, I also wish your son the best in the future as well as the present.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Damn! I NEVER win any of those arbitrary, spur of the moment awards.

However, I grudgingly congratulate lambikins for the Cool Carrot. That will look really nice on your mantle, Lamb.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    That will look really nice on your mantle, Lamb.
    Yes, but even better in my wee lambie tummy, totoro!

I had no idea that 'prizes' were even part of the FORT, Maveno. Thanks for giving me something that changed the entire way that I viewed today.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    I had no idea that 'prizes' were even part of the FORT, Maveno. Thanks for giving me something that changed the entire way that I viewed today.
    I can't find a green smiley - but I am green with jealousy. Maveno was right, lambikins...your post was well said! You deserve the cool carrot award

You are right, most of us would never say anything insulting to someone's face...but on a computer board it some how seems okay. Probably because we are all here (and watching reality tv) for entertainment and fun. I imagine the participants of AJ signed up to have a bit of fun too. When we snarf someone - we know (and assume the person that is being snarfed would know) that we were kidding.

KC

Funky Beard

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I don't get the facial hair thing at all.. it's not a goatee as there is no mustache. it's like a... a... I don't freakin' know.
    Many people use the term goatee to refer to anything other than a full beard. I admit I wasn't up on beard types myself. I knew there were many facial hair terms and being a bit OCD I was driven to research.

http://www.ragadio.com/oafh/page18.html
    I am guessing his facial hair most closely resembles a (modified) chin curtain on this website.

Here's another: http://www.audiogalaxy.com/articles/index.php?&a=17
    The Metal Beard? Or the boy band beard? You be the judge.

OMG This one is funny. So are the other links on Classical Gas. For instance Apples and Oranges - a Comparison is kinda funny. http://www.improbable.com/airchives/...e-nov2001.html
    It's titled "Feline reactions to bearded men". I hope our Jane doesn't have a cat.

"Curiousity killed the cat, but for a while I as a suspect." Steven Wright
    VA Tech Hokies Rule!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleykonrad
    As I was reading through the comments I grew to be quite enraged at the ignorance of SOME peopleís statements.

From what I can tell, Tony has Ectodermal Dysplasia (and for that fact so does my son). Spotty Hair, lack of eyebrows are all common to the condition as well as the most dangerous aspect, lack of sweat glands. Try dealing with something as simple as the flu when your body canít combat the fever. In our familyís case, a fever often means a trip to the Emergency room.

Comparing him to a dog is just mean.

Is this the treatment my son will get when he becomes school age and an adult. I thought the human race had progressed past the point of judging people by mere appearance. Isnít that what the show is about, seeing beyond that?

Personally, I hope Tony is eliminated in the next round. Maybe then some of you can find a nice blind girl to throw rocks at.

For those of you who are interested, the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasia can be found on the web at www.nfed.org.
    Kumbaya.....???? Please..........????
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    ......ETA:hang on?? is that more than fuzz I'm seeing on his shoulder blades??? oh hun, please please don't let the back hair be longer than the hair on your head!!
    I liked him from last night. I wouldn't mind being just friends with him. Well see more about the guys next week. Maybe I'll even watch the whole show!

Glasses-Wearing Samurai marvolomaven's Avatar
    Miyagami High School Student Council Dormitory
    Yeah. I actually regretted trashing Tony after last night. He seemed so sincere, composed and really humble. I suppose time will tell, but so far he's growing on me.

+ Reply to Thread