+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Tony C.

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    Man...I'll feel really bad if he lost his eyebrows in an explosion while saving two kids and a puppy from an orphanage on fire.
    OK, so it was nothing so dramatic as an explosion, but I still feel kinda bad about the gland thing.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    In the article I just posted, Anthony says he was peeved when he arrived and realized he was in the midst of "average joes", and considered leaving...
    John, Could you repost the article link (or post # if it's on FORT)? I missed it ...duh...I'm sure it's here, I just can't find it.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Being sort of OCD when it comes to getting all the information about anything I am curious about...I looked up this sweat gland thing. It does not sound like a fun thing to have! He might not even be able to cry -- how the heck is he going to compete with the teary eyed hunk in the promos? (I think the guy crying is a PB...isn't he?) Anyway as for the sweat gland thing....Eeeks...I'm gonna cut the guy some slack for the NoEyeBrows! The Don Johnson jacket...well that's a whole different story - anyone who wears Don Johnson jackets (even in Hawaii) is fare game

FORT Newbie

Angry

As I was reading through the comments I grew to be quite enraged at the ignorance of SOME peopleís statements.

From what I can tell, Tony has Ectodermal Dysplasia (and for that fact so does my son). Spotty Hair, lack of eyebrows are all common to the condition as well as the most dangerous aspect, lack of sweat glands. Try dealing with something as simple as the flu when your body canít combat the fever. In our familyís case, a fever often means a trip to the Emergency room.

Comparing him to a dog is just mean.

Is this the treatment my son will get when he becomes school age and an adult. I thought the human race had progressed past the point of judging people by mere appearance. Isnít that what the show is about, seeing beyond that?

Personally, I hope Tony is eliminated in the next round. Maybe then some of you can find a nice blind girl to throw rocks at.

For those of you who are interested, the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasia can be found on the web at www.nfed.org.

KaiCee, it's the "Boston Men" article.

Here's the snippet:

Anthony Calandra landed on the show after impressing a casting agent with his sideburns, cut in the shape of stars, and his friendly personality as a bartender . "I didn't want to say, 'Oh, let me get on your show!' but I wanted a part," says Calandra, who was unaware of the plot twists involved. (The show was taped before this season's "Average Joe" aired.)

When he arrived in Hawaii and saw the cast, Calandra wasn't too thrilled, he says. "I was a little bit offended that I would be grouped in with these guys," says the 24-year-old, who is also a dental technician and graphic artist. "I don't consider myself a 10, but I'm not a 3 either. I really considered leaving."

Calandra stuck around, however, and is now happy he did. "I think it was a very original concept. It will bring to light how people obsess about looks. It definitely challenged the girl. And when I was there, I worried about not looking like a dork."

Quote Originally Posted by wesleykonrad
    As I was reading through the comments I grew to be quite enraged at the ignorance of SOME peopleís statements.

From what I can tell, Tony has Ectodermal Dysplasia (and for that fact so does my son). Spotty Hair, lack of eyebrows are all common to the condition as well as the most dangerous aspect, lack of sweat glands. Try dealing with something as simple as the flu when your body canít combat the fever. In our familyís case, a fever often means a trip to the Emergency room.

For those of you who are interested, the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasia can be found on the web at www.nfed.org.
    Thank you for posting the link wesleykonrad. It sounds like a terrible disorder. In case you just joined us, I wanted to clarify that 'most' of the comments were made before anyone knew he had it. They thought he had just shaved them off. The good news is that by Tony being confident enough to be on this show, he might have brought some needed attention to a disorder that obviously was unknown to a lot of people.

Best wishes to you and you son
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Regular
    It is very unfortunate about Tony C's problem. However, physical attraction is usually part of the mix when considering a romantic partner and while a lot of his fairly odd appearance probably has to do with a physical disorder the crazy shaving thing he came up with himself. That being said, he came across as a pretty nice guy and he is put together pretty well physically. Im rooting for him to do well.
    Last edited by Brannigan73; 01-07-2004 at 11:36 AM.

FORT Newbie
    Thanks for the best wishes.

Sorry if I came across a little harsh but this is obviously an issue I take personally. Is this the kind of treatment my son will get when he gets to school? Will he have to explain his condition to every person he meets so that they won't think of him as "frightening" "criminal" "eyebrowless freak". Should he not be accepted for who he is, not how he looks? Sadly, your comment about people not knowing he hadn't shaved them off, offers me little comfort for my son's struggle through life.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Thank you for posting the link wesleykonrad. It sounds like a terrible disorder. In case you just joined us, I wanted to clarify that 'most' of the comments were made before anyone knew he had it. They thought he had just shaved them off. The good news is that by Tony being confident enough to be on this show, he might have brought some needed attention to a disorder that obviously was unknown to a lot of people.

Best wishes to you and you son

Quote Originally Posted by wesleykonrad
    I think alot of us here on the FORT struggle to some degree with our comments about the people on these reality shows. For the most part, I am content with the thought that they intentionally put themselves in the public eye, and took the risk that they would be commented on, both as to appearance and behavior.

My tendency is to make a quick assesment of each "character" and then get to know them with the rest of the nation. I am almost ALWAYS off on my first impression. I'll admit it, I thought Amy was a cool chick before she joined the meatheads on Paradise Hotel.

As for Tony: The mere fact that he plays with shaving crazy designs in his beard made me jump to the conclusion that he is razor-happy, and hence the missing eyebrows. The mere fact that he HAS facial hair is deceptive. Why on his cheeks and chin, but not his eyebrows?? Is this a medical anomaly?

WesleyKonrad= Thank you for sharing your story, and best of luck to your son. I'm sure he will have to deal with his share of ignorant teasing in his life, but I think he will find MORE kindness out there than you might presume.

And my final comment is: After watching the premiere, two Joes stood out to me as my "favorites".... Phuc the Phunny Phellow, and good ole Tony C. See, I TOLD you my first impressions are often wrong!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    I think alot of us here on the FORT struggle to some degree with our comments about the people on these reality shows. For the most part, I am content with the thought that they intentionally put themselves in the public eye, and took the risk that they would be commented on, both as to appearance and behavior.

My tendency is to make a quick assesment of each "character" and then get to know them with the rest of the nation. I am almost ALWAYS off on my first impression. I'll admit it, I thought Amy was a cool chick before she joined the meatheads on Paradise Hotel.

As for Tony: The mere fact that he plays with shaving crazy designs in his beard made me jump to the conclusion that he is razor-happy, and hence the missing eyebrows. The mere fact that he HAS facial hair is deceptive. Why on his cheeks and chin, but not his eyebrows?? Is this a medical anomaly?

WesleyKonrad= Thank you for sharing your story, and best of luck to your son. I'm sure he will have to deal with his share of ignorant teasing in his life, but I think he will find MORE kindness out there than you might presume.

And my final comment is: After watching the premiere, two Joes stood out to me as my "favorites".... Phuc the Phunny Phellow, and good ole Tony C. See, I TOLD you my first impressions are often wrong!
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=SlateGray]
    ______________________________ _________________________
    It is a medical anomaly of sorts. Each person with ED shows it in different ways. There are also varying degrees of severity. For some, they are completely bald. Others have very patchy hair. This means that many children wear a wig when they go to kindergarten. And for those children's whose parents can't afford wigs....it is a very hard time.

This conditions manifests itself in irregularities with the ectoderm - teeth, skin, nails, eyes, ears, etc. Teeth are generally missing, or are conical (cone-shaped). Many children have to undergo massive dental work at a very early age. It is common to have just a few teeth. This means that many children must wear dentures. Try explaining to a 3-year-old why they must have their couple teeth pulled out and dentures placed in. Some with a milder form can get away with binding. These teeth also impact on speech abilities, and their ability to chew certain types of food.

Dental implants are an option when the jaw is fully-grown (18-20 yrs). However, this is a very painful and expensive procedure, and not many families can afford this without financial support from charities, like NFED.

So, now they are off to kindergarten with a wig, and polident for their dentures. Then they meet some people who will make fun of their patchy red skin, and other facial features related to ED.

To top it all off, with no sweat glands, playing sports outside in the sun is hard. Having to find schools that are air-conditioned is also sometimes difficult.

ED is not uncommon. 7 out of 10,000 persons have a form of it.

+ Reply to Thread