+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Michael S.

FORT Fogey
    that's very true candybar, and I think a lot of producers look for the "crazy Christian" to make an absolute mockery of him/her (usually a him for some reason). Think Dirk from Survivor 1 (don't remember him? My point exactly) or Nathan from BB4, or Molly on the Joe Schmo Show. I know there's more, but it always seems that the producers really are out to make a mockery of them. (Not that they don't do that to everyone, but I just notice that they focus in on that one aspect of this particular person's life, and make a mockery of it... and sometimes I will agree that the person really doesn't represent Christianity, the way I, as a Christian, would represent it. I hope I got my thoughts across clearly.... if not I would be more than happy to clarify them.

Another thing I would like to caution people about, is being careful about who you're snarking at. For instance, if you don't like the way that Michael talked about his faith, then by all means, snark away, but as far as talking about his religion, I don't believe that's what this site is for.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    And I hardly think you'd refer to it as a "J bomb" unless you knew it was being laid out in an explosive way--the very term is highlighting it as something it shouldn't be.

Michael, himself, on the show...said he "dropped the J-bomb". It's not a reference that anyone here on the Fort has coined it. He said it.

/just clarifying
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Michael, himself, on the show...said he "dropped the J-bomb". It's not a reference that anyone here on the Fort has coined it. He said it.

/just clarifying
    You aren't clarifying to me--I very much meant that he was the one who used it. Michael using the term indicates that he knew it was explosive and out of the blue. His use of the term was not put in there by editors. He KNEW that it was being "dropped" on her and used a term that acknowledged that. This is a clue to me that "editing" probably didn't create the out of left field approach to it implied by that segment. He did it, and I stand by my reasoning about why any reasonable person, religious or not, should be able to understand Larissa's apparent reaction. He blundered, if the idea was to make her understand why Jesus was important to him by simply blurting it out with "the J-Bomb".

Then again, I'm not claiming that he didn't realize that later. It's just a tendency that makes clear a fault in that approach to faith among many. Jesus, supposedly was a pretty understanding guy, and would likely be cool with the concept of you NOT mentioning his name first when you describe the basis for your faith.
    Last edited by Krom; 01-21-2004 at 01:28 PM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Sorry Krom... I musta read your post wrong. I thought you were saying that people on the Fort said it, and not him.

Nevermind people..nothing to see here...move along..
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Here's how they do it

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    You aren't clarifying to me--I very much meant that he was the one who used it. Michael using the term indicates that he knew it was explosive and out of the blue. His use of the term was not put in there by editors. He KNEW that it was being "dropped" on her and used a term that acknowledged that. This is a clue to me that "editing" probably didn't create the out of left field approach to it implied by that segment. He did it, and I stand by my reasoning about why any reasonable person, religious or not, should be able to understand Larissa's apparent reaction. He blundered, if the idea was to make her understand why Jesus was important to him by simply blurting it out with "the J-Bomb".

Then again, I'm not claiming that he didn't realize that later. It's just a tendency that makes clear a fault in that approach to faith among many. Jesus, supposedly was a pretty understanding guy, and would likely be cool with the concept of you NOT mentioning his name first when you describe the basis for your faith.
    I don't recall Mikes exact words. This however is how it is done.

Producer: Remember Mike to phrase what you say as statements for us okay?
    Producer: So how do you think that went?
    Mike: Well pretty good except she kind of paused when I told her about my faith.
    Producer: Can you say that differently Mike?
    Mike: Well she reacted like I had dropped a stink bomb.
    Producer: So would say that was a "J" bomb?
    Mike: Yeah, like I dropped a "J" bomb.
    Producer: Do you mean a Jesus bomb?
    Mike: She paused when I dropped the Jesus bomb
    cut
    edit :"When I dropped the Jesus bomb.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marvolomaven
    It's interesting, though, that one of the things Mike said he tends to do is subconsciously try to sabotage himself. If I remeber correctly, didn't he say to Larissa that he felt his "dropping the J-bomb" was some sort of attempt to do that? So maybe it was not wholly zealotry but some type of compulsive reaction he has that helps him "opt-out", as it were, if he thinks there is a risk of getting hurt.

Or maybe I'm just projecting...
    Mike has admitted to some OCD tendency, he is a social clutz...he probably deep down doesn't believe that he will be the man Larissa picks in the end. So, subconsciously or not, he dropped the J-bomb so when he is eliminated he can say to himself..."yeah, I didn't win...but it's not my fault. I wasn't eliminated because I wasn't good looking enough, funny enough, smart enough...I was eliminated because of my strong faith" He can face himself in the mirror the next day (after carefully wiping all the smudges off...ooops, I missed one...let me just grab the windex.....oops, theres another smudge...... ) and still believe he could have had a chance with the pretty girl. This minimizes his chances of getting hurt.

If Mike is for real...he is a little over-the-top mentally. It's no more inappropriate to drop the J-bomb on the first date than it is to clean the pool the first day you arrive in Hawaii....while the others are drinking beer and having fun. The poor guy just can't help himself.
    Kaicee
    Last edited by KaiCee; 01-26-2004 at 02:33 AM.

I'm not sure about his personality--something seems a little "off" there--but basically I think he's really cute! Short doesn't bother me. I was really surprised though at his un-smooth "AJ1-John" hand-flapping reaction to a simple kiss.

ok so call me crazy, but i'm like in love with this guy. from the first time i saw him i was like ok, he's not bad looking, but over the course of the whole show, i love his personality. he seems like a genuinely good guy. i love the fact that he was upfront w/ Larissa about his views on religion and also how open he was when talking about his past. he was hurt before, not only in love but in life in general and i don't blame him, i'd be just as guarded as he was. but seriously if she doesn't pick him in the end, i'd be more than happy to take him, lol

but anyways, yeah guys I'm new to the board, lol, for some reason i never start posting for any show or anything i'm interested in til it's almost half done, go figure, i guess i'm just slow like that.
    ~*Keisha*~
    My Rantings....

I think he's cute but crazy. And he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning-- Larissa is far too weirded out by him. And well she should be. I don't know many women who are attracted to guys as needy and passive-agressive as him.

FORT Newbie
    The guy is a crackhead ... that's all I got to say. If I was dating a woman and she told me she used to use crack, I'd dump her in a heartbeat. Crack is for low lifes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast