+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Witness for the Defense: Why Melana chose Jason

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    croftchrism:Although I agree with some of what you are saying lambikins (and an very nicely articulated argument!), let me quickly highlight some of the points that I disagreed with:

1. If he was trying to further himself by showing off how rich he is, then he would have told her earlier in the show.

He may have been under contract to not reveal anything until the end. I'm sure that some of the other men had "secrets" that couldn't be revealed unless they came to the finish line. It would have stacked the deck against the truly average joe.

2. Some women would think 200 pink roses romantic.

I agree, but some women would think that ONE rose would be more romantic. If he's competing to date with her, how in the world will he top this: 400 pink roses with the first roll in the hay? An evening at F.A.O Schwartz for the first weekend together? I simply felt it too excessive and not a cost that NON-millionaires could even dream of mimicking.

3. I do believe that it is a disinct disadvantage to be 26 and still living at home. By moving out, you figure out more about yourself, and learn to handle responsablities like rent, etc.... There are a few times when it is justified, but the show never really seemed to give us a reason why he was living at home. I know a lot of people who are going to College, and paying for it themselves, but yet they moved out. By living at home, it seems that Jason is way behind in the development of a normal 26 year old, and that is a distinct disadvantage.

Again, this is cultural. In my Scandinavian upbringing, once you left home at 18 years old, you never darkened your families door again...under any circumstances! Other cultures think that's insane troll logic! Yes, I have friends that are working two jobs, living in a studio apartment and taking 6 years for a 4 year degree. They usually are bitter and angry about the experience when they look at class mates who receive parental help. Some people will see Jason as pathetic, some will see him as healthily close to his family. I chose the latter. What it boils down to is, is the poster looking to attack Jason or not. You can twist the case either way.
    I grew up in Southern Cal and the cultural norm is to show some independence in your mid20s. However, there are many reasons for someone to move back home. Nothing was shown, that I saw, about Jason's goals, what he's studying, when he plans to graduate, etc. And I understand that editing can play evil tricks. BUT, that man is vapid. Melana didn't impress me, either, being equally vapid. Adam is a real catch and someone will be a very happy lady some day. Won't be Melana, though.

Rab
    Quote Originally Posted by moother
    I personally was disgusted when she picked Jason. Not because he was inferior, but because I thought the show was to give the AVERAGE Joe a chance to find love with someone that gets to know them inside.

I won't watch the show again because I really want the AVERAGE JOE show to mean AVERAGE JOE.
    I liked Jason not for his looks but his personality. He was like Ryan of the Bachelorette. And just b/c you get on a dating reality show sparks aren't always going to fly everytime. She gave them a chance to show what they got and if they didn't interest her they were eliminated, average Joe or not.

Average Joe 2 will be worse now that there will be more handsome guys to compete against and the brunnette bachelorette seems like a complete biotch.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I have to agree that Mel's needing to make a choice was a big set up...she couldn't win ....by this time even saying lets just be freinds would have looked bad...

In the end, I am really upset by the show...but not because of what the people involved did...but the cynacism of the producers....

FORT Irregular
    In my opinion, Jason WAS the Average Joe. A guy in his mid-twenties still struggling to figure out what he wants to do with his life - that's normal. Adam's a twenty-something millionaire. That's not normal. Is it not shallow of us to assume "average" is indicative only of looks?

America's Next Sassypants velveteenidol's Avatar

Good post

It's nice to see a well though out and interesting "devil's advocate" viewpoint. Sometimes I feel like the world takes these shows waaaay too seriously, but at the same time, it's like, how can you not?! you're totally involved, you have emotional attachments to the players, and you're like millimeters from the set on the edge of your seat waiting for the final choice...so it's tough to be objective about this whole thing.

But thank you Lamikins...good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma888
    In my opinion, Jason WAS the Average Joe. A guy in his mid-twenties still struggling to figure out what he wants to do with his life - that's normal. Adam's a twenty-something millionaire. That's not normal. Is it not shallow of us to assume "average" is indicative only of looks?
    Oooooo, good, good point, Emma888!

Lots has been said about Tareq and his PhD at 21: how average is THAT?

And a multi-millionaire, face on the cover of a magazine and a second house in the Hamptons at the age of 27? Gee all of my friends and I must be slack-jawed slouches because those stats weren't in OUR bio at age 27.

Let's face it, people love to hate good looking people although the industries that are tied into remaking the "average" joes and janes into semi-beauties run in the billions.

So Jason isn't excessively chatty; maybe he's shy. I like shy people, cause once you get to know them, they're usually the life of the party. My own partner is often accused of being shallow, stuck-up and aloof...what the stranger doesn't realize is that she's shy and observant and wants to check out the situation and people before she launches into anything.

Maybe Jason's the same way; I'm not going to fault him for NOT being a blabber-mouth.

Also, on Leno, he said that he's moved out of his parents house, he's now 27, and the living choice was temporary, as he initially said on the show.

Of course "average" isn't all about looks, that's just the network's definition. Besides, having six-pack abs and being a model is no more average than being a 27-year-old millionaire or a 21-year-old PHD.

Being human, we covet what we don't have. Adam was threatened by Jason's good looks, in spite of his own excellent qualities; Jason was concerned that Adam's material success would sway Melana, in spite of the "connection" that he felt he had with her.

Perhaps NBC thought that it all came out equal in the end...average looks with money against good looks and an empty bank account.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I think that the one thing people are missing is the fact that good looks are a great advantage in life. Things come easier for pretty people. Adam had to fight for Melana's attention, where Jason had to glance blankly at her, and she as infatuated with him. I think that is why most of us were rooting for Adam. Although he is rich, that wasn't a deciding factor until the end. Up until that point, he had already captured our hearts by doing everything he could to get the girl. Jason just didn't seem to care that much!
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

Quote Originally Posted by croftchrism
    I think that the one thing people are missing is the fact that good looks are a great advantage in life. Things come easier for pretty people. Adam had to fight for Melana's attention, where Jason had to glance blankly at her, and she as infatuated with him. I think that is why most of us were rooting for Adam. Although he is rich, that wasn't a deciding factor until the end. Up until that point, he had already captured our hearts by doing everything he could to get the girl. Jason just didn't seem to care that much!
    Nicely explained. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Nicely explained. Thank you.
    You are very welcome
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast