+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Subconscious Subliminalities?

Subconscious Subliminalities?

Tonight I watched the episode on my ReplayTV and something kept bugging me when Zach and Mel were on the boat. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I just knew something was wrong with the continuity or something.

I stopped it, rewound it, replayed it, frame-by-framed it and finally figured it out. When Zach and Mel are lying up on the bow of the boat, the video is reversed. Zachs grungy New Balance tennis shoes have the 'N' logo reversed and his watch is on his "right" wrist. There is a big black tube running up the right side of the boat.

However, in later shots, his watch moves to his left wrist and the 'N' logo is correct. The tube moves to the left side of the boat.

When Jason is up there with her later in the segment, they don't reverse the shot.

So, is there some subliminal message going on here? Why are they messing with us like this?

X.

errr sorry but i really don't quite get what you're saying.... but i say your guess is as good as mine s

Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    errr sorry but i really don't quite get what you're saying.... but i say your guess is as good as mine s
    I'm just wondering why the producers/directors/editors would feel the need to make it appear that Mel and Zach were sitting on the right side of the bow?

Why go to the trouble of reversing the video for that segment of the show?

Why have the viewers see Zach on the right side of the screen, and Jason on the left, when they are up at the front of the yacht, when actually they were both on the left?

Any aspiring directors, psychologists or conspiracy theorists have any idea why they would digitally reverse the video left-to-right in post production?

X.

I don't have any thoughts on whether the producers flipped the shot, I just wanted to say the title of this thread makes me think of Tareq!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Maybe the angle they shot wasn't good so they decided to reverse it..
    i dunno, my guess

Maybe it was just an error. They must edit these things pretty quickly and have hours of footage to turn into minutes of show.

Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    Maybe it was just an error. They must edit these things pretty quickly and have hours of footage to turn into minutes of show.
    I don't think it was an error, because flipping the video is something you have to do consciously. I wonder if it's some film school rule that you have to have opposing characters at opposing angles, or some such.

Anyway, it's not nearly as important as the stuff in the other threads, like that Adam is a day trader... Everyone thinks he's a millionaire. Maybe. Maybe not. His company advertises only $2M in trading capital with three partners. In day trading, (I was one, once upon a time...) your assets can fluctuate wildly from day to day and week to week. I used to do $150K transactions a few times a day, just to make a couple of grand. One slip and it could be a loss of a few grand.

It's not a stress-free lifestyle, for sure, but you can always take a day off and spend the last day's take, if you want .

He could be on the street tomorrow...

X.

I have seen that in other reality shows where they want to re-use footage, but want to edit it so it looks different.

they have flipped and reversed the image to make the illusion.

again your guess is as good as mine

+ Reply to Thread