+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do reality shows portray contestants accurately?

FORT Newbie

Do reality shows portray contestants accurately?

I think there have been a lot of shows that have really edited the contestants to fit the mold the producers wanted. But I strongly believe that the little we see of people on these reality shows is generally a good example of how they are in the rest of their lives. While I am sure there are exceptions to this, I donít get the feeling it is so with any of the people we have left
    The following is my assesment of some of the final characters. Now I know this is all said from the heavily edited show we have been watching over the past few weeks. For exaple they gave Melena 3 tapes, we saw maybe 5 minutes of hidden tape conversation. So all my opinions I understand may be based on editing, but like I said I don't think so. I'd like to know if others agree with what I see

Melena- I think we have truly now seen just how cold and selfish she is. She has been building ďrelationshipsĒ with the average joes for almost a month. When the new guys were introduced it was relatively late in the game. According to their time it could not have been more then 2 weeks left in the game. Hardly enough time to build a real relationship with someone or get to know them. And letís not forget that she has no problem getting hot guys in real life. She says she was just trying to be fair on going on dates with the new guys. But did she think how that sounded to the original men. Well I know I have been dating you for a few weeks, and I say we have a connection but let me just go out with these guys here in case I have a stronger connection with them. No, that is not how the world works. Like Adam said if he had a choice he would leave her in the dust. To me it seems if she had an ounce of respect, decency or caring thought in her body, she would realize that since she did not have enough time to form a relationship with the new guys, letís spare the feelings of the original. It would have been a win-win situation, the original guys donít get hurt, at least not on screen (well not hurt by you picking a cuter guy at least) and you save face on national TV by appearing to be compassionate. Then when the camera is off and after the week of publicity is gone go and find your hot guy. But the scary part is she really does not seem to realize how much she hurt the original guys. It was great tonight seeing her say I donít think Zach was upset and then Zach saying how upset she is. I now know more then ever that she really is a mean thoughtless conceited person. Well at least that is how she is appearing. And you know did it not seem weird how shocked she was by how she was treated on the streets? Did she really think guys were going to act the same way? She canít be that dense, or can she??

Jason- Honestly when I first wrote this out, I skipped him and then came back and put him in. We just know so little and judging by how all Melena could say was that he was good looking and kisses great, I am not sure she knows either. The clincher for me though was when he was with the friend and ďcousinĒ and could only look at the hot friend. He did not look at Melena at all. To me that says everything. Melena loves to talk about flags and warning, well there is a great big red flag for you.

Zach- Well finally Melena saw what everyone else has been seeing. How he acts like two different people. Even he admitted that after he was booted that he acts different around the guys. I know a lot of guys act differently around their friends, but I donít know a lot of guys who are such jerks. After the whole egg incident I just could not look at him the same. You can maybe make excuses for words, but the egg really crossed the line to just plain mean. We saw that same mean spirit on the hidden camera. And like Melena said she gave him warnings to be careful. I think she was trying to give him a hint, cause they said that it was a long process to make the fat suit. So maybe back then she knew she would be spying on him. In any case he did not listen to her, so itís his own fault he was booted, he was warned.

Adam- Ok granted he did say some not very nice things on the tape. But the huge difference between him and Zach was that he was not acting any different then he normally does. Just like he was asking about the birds mating at the zoo, he said some inappropriate things with the guys. But he really did not seem to be different then he normally is, and I think Melena picked up on that. When Adam says something mean you donít get the feeling he is a jerk like with Zach, just that he is a guy that speaks without thinking. This is a quality I actually admire. Because while they may get embarrassed quite a bit or sometimes accidentally say something to piss someone off, you know what they are saying is true. There are no manipulations or games. He does not have to sit and think of what to say to make sure you like him like Zach seemed to be doing a lot of. He seems like a real genuine honest person, way too good for Melena in my opinion. I hope he finds someone who really will appreciate him but also who will be worthy of him.

In answer to the topic question "Do reality shows portray contestants accurately" I would have to say NO. I think they hedge each contestant into a specific "role" on the show and gear the editing toward that. Joe Schmo was a perfect example of a parody of how reality shows in general tend to edit 'characters'.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

That's one of the proverbial questions every "reality" show must've been asked about. Right?

Well, my simple answer is yes but not always.

actually you already answered the question for me,
    I strongly believe that the little we see of people on these reality shows is generally a good example of how they are in the rest of their lives. While I am sure there are exceptions to this

I agree with mom2. While I don't think someone's portrayal on a reality TV show is at all representative of their real personality or behavior, "you can't edit in a bad personality" - if they don't say it, they can't show them saying it. And if they don't do it, they can't show them doing it.

So, in that sense, if someone says something stupid, there's no denying they said it. It may be completely out of context, but they said it nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    So, in that sense, if someone says something stupid, there's no denying they said it. It may be completely out of context, but they said it nonetheless.

True, but when things are taken out of context they have completely different meanings. When they take things horribly out of context and air them, they could just as well do voice offers.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    I sure hope not! Let's take Melana for beginners. She is going out and swapping spit with at least three guys at the same time. Do women do that in real life? I may be old fashioned...but it just makes her look imature and loose, imo.

Zach? Can a guy really be such a jerk? The most annoying thing he did was tell Melana he hopes "for her sake" she is making the right decision when she ousted his butt. For her sake? Come on...she has a couple of hot looking guys, a funny not-so-hot-but-has-a-career guy standing right along side of him as she makes her decision. Melana has a smorgasborg of guys there...can Zach really believe he is unique in any meaningful way? Melana will do just fine in the guy-catching department...even if she doesn't hook up with anyone on this show. She is young and pretty. Any decision she makes is not going to be life shattering or even life changing.

Jason is a pretty boy...there must be more to him than we see on our TV screens. Same with Mike. He just can't be just the silly-smiled cute guy with too much hair product that we saw on the show. There just has to be more to him than that (admittedly cute) silly smiling face.

Adam seems the most genuine. But who knows? Maybe when he goes back to his real life he is one of those guys that just can't pry himself away from a computer and a workaholic who wouldn't please any woman long term. Or maybe he is a genuine guy who has a bunch of friends and would make a great partner...who knows? Not us. Not by seeing the clips that are edited by NBC to get the ratings.

I like the show...but it's entertainment. We aren't getting the full picture of any of these people. How they act in the setting they have been placed in probably has no resemblance of how they act in their daily real lifes.

Just my opinion. The show is a lot of fun to watch and talk about though, isn't it? I guess NBC has realized their goal. KC

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    I sure hope not! Let's take Melana for beginners. She is going out and swapping spit with at least three guys at the same time. Do women do that in real life? I may be old fashioned...but it just makes her look imature and loose, imo.

Zach? Can a guy really be such a jerk? The most annoying thing he did was tell Melana he hopes "for her sake" she is making the right decision when she ousted his butt. For her sake? Come on...she has a couple of hot looking guys, a funny not-so-hot-but-has-a-career guy standing right along side of him as she makes her decision. Melana has a smorgasborg of guys there...can Zach really believe he is unique in any meaningful way? Melana will do just fine in the guy-catching department...even if she doesn't hook up with anyone on this show. She is young and pretty. Any decision she makes is not going to be life shattering or even life changing.

Jason is a pretty boy...there must be more to him than we see on our TV screens. Same with Mike. He just can't be just the silly-smiled cute guy with too much hair product that we saw on the show. There just has to be more to him than that (admittedly cute) silly smiling face.

Adam seems the most genuine. But who knows? Maybe when he goes back to his real life he is one of those guys that just can't pry himself away from a computer and a workaholic who wouldn't please any woman long term. Or maybe he is a genuine guy who has a bunch of friends and would make a great partner...who knows? Not us. Not by seeing the clips that are edited by NBC to get the ratings.

I like the show...but it's entertainment. We aren't getting the full picture of any of these people. How they act in the setting they have been placed in probably has no resemblance of how they act in their daily real lifes.

Just my opinion. The show is a lot of fun to watch and talk about though, isn't it? I guess NBC has realized their goal. KC
    Recognize this,

the question is about the "contestent" ie Melana herself.... NOT "women" in general. And thus far Melana is portrayed as who she is, even if it meant she's a good-for-nothing-slut. that's who she is. and yet that doesn't mean it is how women in general act or portrayed accurately.

again the question is about INDIVIDUAL contestants ONLY!

FORT Newbie
    Fyi Read The Interview With Adam On Reality News Online. Illuminating.

Link please?
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by toshncali
    Melena- I think we have truly now seen just how cold and selfish she is. She has been building ďrelationshipsĒ with the average joes for almost a month. When the new guys were introduced it was relatively late in the game. According to their time it could not have been more then 2 weeks left in the game. Hardly enough time to build a real relationship with someone or get to know them. And letís not forget that she has no problem getting hot guys in real life. She says she was just trying to be fair on going on dates with the new guys. But did she think how that sounded to the original men. Well I know I have been dating you for a few weeks, and I say we have a connection but let me just go out with these guys here in case I have a stronger connection with them. No, that is not how the world works. Like Adam said if he had a choice he would leave her in the dust. To me it seems if she had an ounce of respect, decency or caring thought in her body, she would realize that since she did not have enough time to form a relationship with the new guys, letís spare the feelings of the original. It would have been a win-win situation, the original guys donít get hurt, at least not on screen (well not hurt by you picking a cuter guy at least) and you save face on national TV by appearing to be compassionate. Then when the camera is off and after the week of publicity is gone go and find your hot guy. But the scary part is she really does not seem to realize how much she hurt the original guys. It was great tonight seeing her say I donít think Zach was upset and then Zach saying how upset she is. I now know more then ever that she really is a mean thoughtless conceited person. Well at least that is how she is appearing. And you know did it not seem weird how shocked she was by how she was treated on the streets? Did she really think guys were going to act the same way? She canít be that dense, or can she??
    Hey, give her a break ! The whole idea of these shows, i. e. dating several people at the same time in front of the camera is perverse and we are perverse too because we watch it. Don't look for morality or "compassion" in there. Melana is there for our fun, so let her have her own fun, too, in whichever way she wants it. If she wants to know the good looking guys, why should she not do it ? And if she considers them a good relationship material, why would she give the opportunity up in exchange for some hypothetical hot guy after the show ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast