+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The definition of average?

The definition of average?

We all have different ideas of what consitutes "average", obviously. So what does it mean? I've seen posts claiming that the "Average Joes" were not average - Tareq was a 21-year-old PHD (well, sort of) and an actor, Dennis L. was an actor, Adam is apparently a wealthy trader of some sort, etc.

So their jobs are not average? What about so-called "average" looks? Tareq, Zack, and the "other" Dennis (who was eliminated the first show) are actually good-looking (JMO, of course). They certainly weren't UNattractive anyway.

What's an average size? The Joes came in ALL sizes, physically.

What about the hunks? Well, they all model, so they must conform to some universal standard of good looks, but they obviously aren't successful enough at modeling to make a living at it, since two are waiters and one is a vet tech. What about their incomes? What's an average income anyway? The median national wage, or whatever the government quotes as a statistic?

So which of the Joes is truly average?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I think that the so called hunks are average joes. They were not attractive enough to make up for the lack of wit, intelligence, and stable careers.

Anyone can claim to be a model or actor. Anyone can model in local or church fashion shows. Anyone can be an extra in a movie. The Avergage Joe that proclaimed himself a Director's Assistant didn't even know movie trivia 101. Even I beat him on the quiz.
    Last edited by sugarlady; 12-02-2003 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    We all have different ideas of what consitutes "average", obviously. So what does it mean? I've seen posts claiming that the "Average Joes" were not average - Tareq was a 21-year-old PHD (well, sort of) and an actor, Dennis L. was an actor, Adam is apparently a wealthy trader of some sort, etc.

So their jobs are not average? What about so-called "average" looks? Tareq, Zack, and the "other" Dennis (who was eliminated the first show) are actually good-looking (JMO, of course). They certainly weren't UNattractive anyway.

What's an average size? The Joes came in ALL sizes, physically.

What about the hunks? Well, they all model, so they must conform to some universal standard of good looks, but they obviously aren't successful enough at modeling to make a living at it, since two are waiters and one is a vet tech. What about their incomes? What's an average income anyway? The median national wage, or whatever the government quotes as a statistic?

So which of the Joes is truly average?
    Again the show "title" is misleading and frankly "sucks"!

Everything you said can be included as being "average".

+ Reply to Thread