+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Average Guys Who Want Beautiful Girls

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    Hmmm . . . I get your point, but I don't get how it's an analogy regarding looks. Regarding the phone thing, I think that there are times when you can guess the person's race, and it may even seem obvious, but you might guess wrong. (Ever heard a Rickie Lee Jones song??) Personally, when I've interviewed people over the phone, that sort of thing, I've tried not to speculate about race because it isn't a factor for almost any job and I don't want to look like a complete idiot when I'm wrong.

Was your parallel based on the idea that we see guys with trophy wives but say nothing out of social correctness but it's obvious to anyone looking at the two of them what's going on with that?

That is exactly the case. When you see a guy like the Tyco boss with a beautiful blond or any other couple like that you can think to yourself the real reason for the pairing but not say it in public. Like at a dinner party, the old fart with the young whore might be the life of the party but when it ends the other folks tear into them on the way home. Melena is just such a girl...she is a complete phoney and disgusting. She better meet a rich guy soon or she will be in deep trouble once her looks begin to fade in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojado71
    That is exactly the case. When you see a guy like the Tyco boss with a beautiful blond or any other couple like that you can think to yourself the real reason for the pairing but not say it in public. Like at a dinner party, the old fart with the young whore might be the life of the party but when it ends the other folks tear into them on the way home. Melena is just such a girl...she is a complete phoney and disgusting. She better meet a rich guy soon or she will be in deep trouble once her looks begin to fade in 10 years.
    I don't think that Melana is a gold digger. (She's not meeting people worth a lot of money at all.) I think she probably wants personal fame and fortune, regardless if she gets a boyfriend out of the deal.

I like this show simply for these discussions. I agree with another poster on another thread that there's no great social experiment going on here--NBC is just out for ratings. However, the discussion that do emerge are fun...they range the gamut from catty to insightful observation!

With that said, I think that the happiest couples tend to be the ones who view each other as equals. Usually, this means that they have equal education, family background, and looks. (I KNOW--this is not ALWAYS the case, but it's a generality with basis in truth).

If Melana likes Zach it's because they're both equally selfish and cruel. If she likes Adam, it's because they share a sense of humor and desire for wealth (Adam could probably get further in his career with a girl like Melana on his arm).

I don't think we'll be watching a wedding between Melana and any of these guys any time soon, so it's not even about finding a mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    Is anyone else bothered by these guys whining that beautiful women look right past them when a hunk comes along? John was on the TODAY show whining that he can be talking to a beautiful woman in a bar and a hunk walks in and the girl is suddenly looking right through him. What's wrong with these guys that they aren't looking for an "average Jane" and willing to look past her outward appearances? They think they deserve a beautiful woman who is the whole package while admitting that they may not be the most attractive one of the group, but give them a group of women and apparently they all think they deserve the best looking one of the bunch.

Dumb jerks, the reason they can't attract a woman has nothing to do with how they look - but has everything to do with how shallow they truly are!
    I agree and disagree. "Looks" does matter too and the fact that they also have "ugly" personalities doesn't help matters either. It's a combination of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by misscrispy
    I don't think we'll be watching a wedding between Melana and any of these guys any time soon, so it's not even about finding a mate.
    Begs the question, why are they doing this show in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Rose
    the funny thing is, he totally didn't "get" it, but Melana didn't ditch him b/c of his looks. Whether or not the good-looking guys came in anyway, he was the next to go, based on how needy and desperate he came across.

I agree.
    Even if the new guys had not have joined the game, I still believe John would have been cut before Adam and Zach.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Is anyone else bothered by these guys whining that beautiful women look right past them when a hunk comes along? John was on the TODAY show whining that he can be talking to a beautiful woman in a bar and a hunk walks in and the girl is suddenly looking right through him. What's wrong with these guys that they aren't looking for an "average Jane" and willing to look past her outward appearances? They think they deserve a beautiful woman who is the whole package while admitting that they may not be the most attractive one of the group, but give them a group of women and apparently they all think they deserve the best looking one of the bunch.

Dumb jerks, the reason they can't attract a woman has nothing to do with how they look - but has everything to do with how shallow they truly are!
    Ugh, I hear you loud and clear, Melsevene. I can't count on all my fingers and toes the number of times I have heard an "average" guy going on and on about how they can't get a date and will be single forever, but the girls they set their sights on are picture-perfect Melena types. They are completely obesessed with getting a mega-hot babe and won't look twice at an "average jane". It as if they have to get the hot-babe-cheerleader-type to prove their own attractiveness and it is pathetic. Especially because there are many women who would date an avergage-looking guy if he wasn't so hung up on proving himself.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with John's looks ( I actually think he is cute), but the fact that he was ready to lay down and die because a hottie like Melena gave him the time of day is a major turn-off.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Newbie

My words, Melsevene !
    Remember that guy in the first eppisode who, after seeing M. for 5 seconds (that's a heck of a compatibility test, isn't it), said : "I am looking forward to spend my life with her !"
    Actually, I didn't catch how absurd it is right away, but my wonderful boyfriend scored million points for me, when he wondered about that !

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by overthetop
    In real life, when a couple has a real disparity in looks, something else is going on--usually, the less attractive one is rich and/or powerful and the better looking one wants to benefit from that.
    How about the less atractive, who is really intelligent and can make the partner laugh his/her heart off ? I still believe in that, sentimental me...
    (Don't missunderstand me, I don't think that's the case with any of the guys at A.J.)

Quote Originally Posted by arabela
    How about the less atractive, who is really intelligent and can make the partner laugh his/her heart off ? I still believe in that, sentimental me...
    (Don't missunderstand me, I don't think that's the case with any of the guys at A.J.)

ADAM!! He did that with the airplane glider thing ... now that's a KEEPER!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast