+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Average Joe contracts

Average Joe contracts

Does anyone have any idea what kind of contracts they signed? They must be air tight if they sign up for one show and are thrust into a different one without consent. I wonder if they would have any kind of recourse to not have their image air from a different show or not be held to rules when they signed up for another show, etc.

I would love to read the contracts on all of the reality shows, to be made to look like a moron and not really be one must be hard. I'm surprised The Smoking Gun hasn't gotten ahold of something on this subject. The editing in/ out of context seems to be the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    I would love to read the contracts on all of the reality shows, to be made to look like a moron and not really be one must be hard. I'm surprised The Smoking Gun hasn't gotten ahold of something on this subject. The editing in/ out of context seems to be the real issue.
    I worked on a show for two seasons and I know that what comes out of a contestants mouth is fair game. If you said it they can and do use it. The producers ask questions and the contestant answers and only the answers are heard on the air. The producers ask questions until they get the answer they are looking for. I would guess, only a guess, that a person would need to show damages from the misleading editing for there to be any kind of legal libility.

The studios/production companies have the attorneys drawing up the contracts, the participants don't. I can tell you that a contestant was cancelling out at the last minute and I heard a producer screaming at her that she would be sued if she didn't show up.

I would love to see a show where the producers questions and the contestants answers were shown in juxtapositon to one another. That "Reality of Reality" show was very disappointing. It did not show the real deal. I suppose the professionals who were interviewed wanted to work again and knew they needed to be careful.
    Last edited by Candybar; 11-26-2003 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candybar
    I worked on a show for two seasons and I know that what comes out of a contestants mouth is fair game. If you said it they can and do use it. The producers ask questions and the contestant answers and only the answers are heard on the air. The producers ask questions until they get the answer they are looking for. I would guess, only a guess, that a person would need to show damages from the misleading editing for there to be any kind of legal libility.

The studios/production companies have the attorneys drawing up the contracts, the participants don't. I can tell you that a contestant was cancelling out at the last minute and I heard a producer screaming at her that she would be sued if she didn't show up.

I would love to see a show where the producers questions and the contestants answers were shown in juxtapositon to one another. That "Reality of Reality" show was very disappointing. It did not show the real deal. I suppose the professionals who were interviewed wanted to work again and knew they needed to be careful.
    Really interesting. Glad you posted.

+ Reply to Thread