+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A social experiment we already know the answer

A social experiment we already know the answer

Ok first off, since the new guys came in out of nowhere does anyone feel that we are watching a "COMPLETELY" different show? It's as if the show was started as "Average Joe" then it turned into "Bachelorette" or something.... it just doesn't feel like what it was originally supposed to... right? Am I the only one feels that way?

Now I don't know about you but I think this show is a poor excuse of some sort of a bizarre social experiment that some dumbass(es) on NBC thought to be cute for TV viewing.... but we ALL "already" know the answer(s) to the question(s) this show is trying to raise- and that is people are going to be judged by their physical appearance than anything else when it comes to the pursuit of romance.

Look, as much as NBC or our pretty-little-bachelorette Melana have us believe that she's not basing her claims on "looks only" the fact of the matter is her action speaks LOUDER than words.

The fact of the matter is she had conviently eliminated ALL but two from the original group, and surprise surprise Adam and Zach happens to be the best-looking ones from the initial pool..... John never even had a chance.... on top of that the recent twist of the show puts 3 UN-Average Joes into the mix and as much as NBC had us believe that Mel was just as surprised as the tv viewer at the sudden turn of events, I think Mel WAS very much involved in the dirty secret ALL ALONG.... of course she and everyone involved in the show would deny my suspicion but I really think Mel is shallow enough or be scared enough of her own prospects to come up with an "exit plan" (or plan B so to speak) .....and Mikey, Jas and Alex are her plan B!

All I'm trying to say is Melana is NO angel. She's as vicious and uncompromising and ignorant as that "popular" chick in high school who takes NO interest at all for the opposite gender who might be seen as nerdy or fat or phyically challenged to put it gently... this show just wouldn't work out for her.... she is in the WRONG show and she is in for all the WRONG reasons.

I don't know if you had noticed this but the many things that people found Zach, in particualr, to be guilty of can be said the SAME for Mel herself.... Many people said Zach is arrogant and cocky and judging things by the book cover, which is very much true (I don't doubt his faults one bit) and it looks like he even looks as guilty as ever from the preview of next week's episode (when he is shown making fun of "Mel's cousin", who is probably Mel herself in a chubby disguise) YET ironically Mel herself is just as guilty.... if not more because I don't see any or either Joe, Craig, David, or Jay to be in the running among the remaining 4 that Mel hand-picked.... I don't see any of "her guys" to be as remotely chubby as them and I didn't see how her own explanation of why she didn't pick the fat guys (in particular) was anything but genuine and truthful.... at least Zach has the fortitude (or what it seems from the preview) to pick on Mel's cousin and that he at least told the truth... as replusive as it is Zach did not hide his arrogance.

But Mel on the other hand, kept letting on the original pool of average joes as if she was really interested in what they had to offer.... just look at her situation/ relationship with John..... it's really disgusting, on both parties but particuarly on Mel's part becoz she strings the poor guy along knowing the outcome will undoubtedly be a dead-end! Know what I mean?

The ironies are everywhere... Mel will no doubt be mad at Zach for his unsensitive side when she finds out how he reacted to "her cousin" but ironically the SAME darn thing can be said about her (the same thing that Zach is guilty of) to her treatment of those "BIG BONED" fellas Joe, Craig, David, Jay ....they are mad at Mel for the SAME reason Mel would be mad at Zach.

Of course the biggest irony of all is that as some of you had pointed out already, the moral highground that these average joes (the original pool) preaches and speak so highly of has been broken by themselves the moment they arrived on the show. The fact of the matter is they go on this "reality dating show" (if you can even call it that) to find/ get/ win their own trophy "girl-friend" and which they are willing to go through this process because she is simply beautiful and gorgeous. Period.

Social experiment my foot!

Great post and i agree!

HERE HERE!!

hrm

good post, but I'll argue with ya.

1. You argued that we already know the answer to the show's question.
    Of course people are stereotyped by looks. The question is whether this stereotype can be overcome, not whether it is there.
    If you are saying that the stereotype cannot be overcome, then that is
    a judgement about Melana, not about the show's format.

2. You accuse the girl of leading on the guys. Well there would be no show
    if she eliminated everyone but Zach in the first week. She is forced to lead
    on guys because of the nature of the game. (Same as Bachelor Bob) She can't
    say who she prefers. If she could (like real life) then likely some guys would back off and people would "pair off" faster. But that doesn't make for a show.

3. You were saying Melana's attitude is the same as Zach in judging the guys.
    Maybe so, after all, its her job to judge the guys, while Zach is volunteering
    his opinion too much perhaps. There is a difference in how you do it too.
    I didn't see Melana "dehumanizing" anyone. (with an egg)

I don't think this show was intended to be a social experiment, lame or otherwise. It was plugged as a sort of Bachelorette with a twist. Remember, in the 1st show Melana was shown as saying that personality was the most important thing to her in a guy - this show was supposed to call her bluff on that statement, so to speak.

Also, on the premiere, Melana eliminated a couple of decent-looking guys (Eric and the "other" Dennis). Adam and Zack are not necessarily the best-looking of the original 16. Actually (and I'm playing devil's advocate here because I don't like Melana) in some ways they are similar-looking - both tallish and dark. Melana may prefer that type. There does have to be some physical attraction, average or not.

My only real problem with this show is that NBC went further than they needed to. It would have been just as fun and entertaining without bringing in models and chicks in fat suits. (I mean, save something for AJ2!) Heck, they could have given Kathy Griffin that screen time - she hasn't even had a chance to annoy us

JMO...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: the premise of the show being a social experiment, what if the experiment was more on the viewing audience instead? What if the audience have prejudges against model types without knowing them or against Melana for picking a guy who is not an average Joe. Or for the audience who might no longer root for the perceived under dog when the models come in and automatically be swayed by looks themselves? Preconceptions re: the contestants or audience can go in different directions.

I agree with all of you and for that matter what don't they just make a show about Average girl picking average guy and be done with it?

This show is getting a little out of hand because they whole point of the show is to be about average Joes. They can always do twists without bringing in another show giving this show two or three different names.

Or why not just throw in a bunch of guys that are average, not so average and gorgeous and let things unfold as they might.

Crystal Allen

Moral High Ground

You make it sound as if Melana is an inherently bad person for not choosing to keep men that she didn't find attractive. Would you award her some moral points if she had chosen to keep around men that were not attractive to her? Is she supposed to show some character or good quality by keeping the grossly overweight ones? You act like this experiment was to determine whether or not Melana is 'really' honest in saying personality is important to her. Well, it probably is, it is to most of us, but physical attraction has to be there in order for a relationship to work. Melana's personal character is not diminished by the fact that she's not physically attracted to some men.

There's no black and white when it comes to 'attractive' versus 'unattractive' because it's not something that can be quantified. There's a difference between Adam's somewhat soft beer gut and one of those guys that displaced half the water in the pool by jumping in. The simple truth is that generally men that are that obese are not going to appeal to most people.

Many women would have found Tareq to be quite appealing if they like the European/dark and swarthy type of man and lots of women do. John would certainly appeal to ladies who like musician-poetry geek types which lots of women do. Melana seems to like tall NY type brunettes, so what??

Additionally, as I opined on another post, looks and personality are not independent of one another. Alex got the private date for his looks and his personality got him eliminated. Adam may not be model handsome, but he's funny and sweet and probably rich [unless Wall Street Traders started making small salaries.]

FORT Newbie
    Last time I checked, what is happening on average joe is called "life".

I read all of what you guys have to say and I do really appreciate your opinions on it but I would also like to answer/ highlight a few points some of you made... I don't have time to answer all of what you guys said so if I may excuse myself in advance for being perhaps too brief for your likeing...

Anyway,

a_canuck_01, your 3 points you raised is very much valid however you (and alot of AJ viewers as well) tend to forget what the show is about- and we don't have to look far to know what that is, from the name of the title "Average Joe"! Of course the producers are being PC (politically correct) about it when they could very well title it as "Ugly folks looking for love" or something in that nature.... but the fact of the matter is the show is based on just that.... this is no bachelorette or JM or FLOM or even Blind Date (coz at least the dates that are set up on BD have been screened for compatibility or for similar personalities etc etc unlike Average Joe which is deliberate attempt to make the suitors and the girl as incompatible as possible) There is a clear distinction as far as looks and personalities concern between all the original pool of AJs and Melana. You can't question that or dismiss that fact.

Therefore, that is why I clearly stated before that Mel is in over her head and that this show is NOT for her.... becoz if we were strictly following the rules of the show, Mel has no choice but to choose from only the 16 suitors instead of now the 19....

AND whether she likes it or not.... she would HAVE to confront the fact that she is dating Average (ugly) Joes and by showing her "true" colors that she's just NOT interested in anyone of them.... No ifs buts or leading those poor guys on becoz she "feels" bad for them or whatever the sorry excuse of a reason....

And you also mentioned the fact that NBC through Melana is trying to figure out the question of overcoming stereotypes, you words,
    Of course people are stereotyped by looks. The question is whether this stereotype can be overcome, not whether it is there.
    If you are saying that the stereotype cannot be overcome, then that is
    a judgement about Melana, not about the show's format.
    Well, that's all fine and dandy but the fact of the matter is they AREN'T and CAN'T possibly answer that question when they decide out of nowhere during the course of the show to throw in 3 gorgeous UN-Average Joes into the mix to tempt the already confused and obviously judgemental bachelorette!

It defeats the whole purpose... don't you think?

Ok as for the speculation by eldee that this is an experiment on the home viewers..... I don't disagree with you but that is afterall only a speculation.... so you could be right.

Last but not least,
    You act like this experiment was to determine whether or not Melana is 'really' honest in saying personality is important to her. Well, it probably is, it is to most of us, but physical attraction has to be there in order for a relationship to work. Melana's personal character is not diminished by the fact that she's not physically attracted to some men.
    Then why call this "Average Joe"? Again if you and I and just about everyone in the world knows Mel can't possibly date or be involved with someone who is not as remotely as attractive as her-own-pretty-little-self then what's the point of the show? Again wouldn't it be defeating its own purpose(s)?

BTW "Life" has infinite choices for Mel to make but the show AJ has only 16, now 19 choices that she can make. What does that say?

You tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees
    Additionally, as I opined on another post, looks and personality are not independent of one another. Alex got the private date for his looks and his personality got him eliminated. Adam may not be model handsome, but he's funny and sweet and probably rich [unless Wall Street Traders started making small salaries.]
    I jsut have to add..... they don't want to make this show as "rigged" as it already is...... given the chance without the lights and cameras, Mel would be ditching Zach and Adam and go for Alex, Jas et all in a heartbeat! And I would say not a moment too soon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast