+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A social experiment we already know the answer

Egg. Dinosaurs were around, and laid eggs, millions of years before chickens.

However, this social experiment has no answer, yet one inevitable conclusion. She's going to pick an underwear model, or a jerk. I'm not bothered by it; Malena is not my type.

Thrawn. And if Unk were here, he'd put on his best Foghorn Leghorn suit and say, "Chicken egg, m'boy. I meant chicken eggs ... "

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn
    Egg. Dinosaurs were around, and laid eggs, millions of years before chickens.

However, this social experiment has no answer, yet one inevitable conclusion. She's going to pick an underwear model, or a jerk. I'm not bothered by it; Malena is not my type.
    In a grand humanity as a whole sort of way, you're right..... social x has no answer. But in this particular case and I've always been talking about this particular case of the "average joe" series only, the answer is already given. And I've said enough about why.

However if you think I might take this whole reality show or this social x argument a bit too seriously.... well, I'm not. I too can care less who our main character picks for her future mate.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    In a grand humanity as a whole sort of way, you're right..... social x has no answer. But in this particular case and I've always been talking about this particular case of the "average joe" series only, the answer is already given. And I've said enough about why.

However if you think I might take this whole reality show or this social x argument a bit too seriously.... well, I'm not. I too can care less who our main character picks for her future mate.

Melena should try to marry a wealthy man soon because as soon as her looks fade she will have lost her options and will most likely end up with the poor white trash she herself really is. I predict her 40th birthday gift from her "man" will be a nice old tire with which she can plant some flowers in.

wouldn't doubt that one bit

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Whew. I'm worn out after reading all that.

The appeal of reality TV (IMHO) is that it is, at its essense, a grand social experiment. Lengthy discussions about the validity of the premise seems as fruitful as arguing about which came first, the chicken or the egg.
    I believe the notion that any of these reality shows are grand social experiments is a cover the networks provide to legitimize their shot at humiliating and hurting people for entertainment. I'm sure that anybody who conducts genuine social experiments would find these shows ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    I believe the notion that any of these reality shows are grand social experiments is a cover the networks provide to legitimize their shot at humiliating and hurting people for entertainment. I'm sure that anybody who conducts genuine social experiments would find these shows ludicrous.

I bet Milgram would be sitting there glued to the screen with a big tub of popcorn.

I went to college for Sociology and for the most part I love watching reality television. Hell, I love just sitting in the mall and watching people interact. Everything is more or less a social experiment, it just depends on who's looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock
    I bet Milgram would be sitting there glued to the screen with a big tub of popcorn.

I went to college for Sociology and for the most part I love watching reality television. Hell, I love just sitting in the mall and watching people interact. Everything is more or less a social experiment, it just depends on who's looking at it.
    Indeed, he would. BUt with a very different perspective than the networks intended. I also love watching social interaction at malls, etc. As one who teaches creative writing, I encourage my students to do just that.

Hug me!
    Like Paradise Hotel.. this show is purely scripted for entertainment... $10 bucks said that whoever Melane picked.. my guess is Adam.. they wouldn't be together in REAL LIFE..
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

no 10 bucks from me hehe... but good to see you 'round again rub, it's been awhile since PH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234