+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A social experiment we already know the answer

I don't think that the producers were looking to conduct a social experiment. I don't think that they were trying to give "equal time" to "average" people to counter all the pretty people on the other shows.

They just want ratings.

I don't expect any useful revelations into north american human mate selection.

k1w1Well, that's all fine and dandy but the fact of the matter is they AREN'T and CAN'T possibly answer that question when they decide out of nowhere during the course of the show to throw in 3 gorgeous UN-Average Joes into the mix to tempt the already confused and obviously judgemental bachelorette!

It defeats the whole purpose... don't you think?
    :"

I whole-heartedly agree! My mates and I that watch this show together after work were terribly disappointed when the Hunks replaced the Chunks. We lost interest immediately because the premise of the show DID change; this would be akin to a Survivor show having an interjected segment where they get to spend a couple of days at a Spa/4 Star Hotel before they go back to roasting rodents.

It would have been a much more interesting show if the following happened:
    1) Melana's 'cousin' had appeared, two shows back, to get the 'skinny' on the men's prejudices, so she could have dumped Zach's ass way back then.
    2) Like American Idol, Melana could get a Wild Card and call a suitor back that she may have been too hasty in eliminating.
    3) If she had been allowed to see the Hidden Cameras from the beginning, so she could easily see who's been Naughty or Nice.

For now, we've completely lost interest in the show. Instead of watching it LIVE, we'll throw a tape into the machine and watch it when convienent. I hope that AJ2 doesn't make the same mistakes.

well, i'm glad i'm ain't the only one who sees the light on this

k

It defeats the whole purpose... don't you think?
    Well adding the 3 "un-average" guys at the end of the game certainly
    was "unfair", so I cede your point.

But on the other hand, the average Joe's got more time for the first few
    weeks than the gorgeous guys, so they got the personality and familiarity advantage.

TPTB(The powers that be) are throwing curve balls at Melana to see if she will succumb to the temptation. It seemed like none of the Average Joes was interesting enough to her to reject going on dates with the Models, so that was
    a bad sign from her(leaving her options open), though she may have rationalized it as "being fair".
    There is a clear distinction as far as looks and personalities concern between all the original pool of AJs and Melana. You can't question that or dismiss that fact.
    I don't think its fair to just assume Melana is so far above the Joes in quality that the gap cannot be overcome. I still have a little boyish part of my heart that believes in miracles, don't you?
    I know I have seen model type girls before and they started at a 10 in my
    estimation, then I talked to them... they turned into 4s and 5s rather quickly.
    And I have seen 6 and 7s that turn into 10s once you see the rest of the person.

A WildCard guy that she could call back would be interesting.

Something I found interesting, was that Melana said "Zach knows how to be with a woman" while other guys, like John, seem to be awkward and overreact to the same situations. (A peck on the cheek)

Maybe they should send the Average Joes on a workshop on "how to make a woman feel like you know what you are doing" course at the start of the show.

I think its called Drama school.

Either that or summer camp.

P.S.
    Regarding a tv show called "ugly folks looking for love", I would watch a reality show that had "People with Personality that can make Witty Conversation Looking for Love" over some of the soft focused plastic people in The Bachelor any day.

I don't think its fair to just assume Melana is so far above the Joes in quality that the gap cannot be overcome. I still have a little boyish part of my heart that believes in miracles, don't you?
    I know I have seen model type girls before and they started at a 10 in my
    estimation, then I talked to them... they turned into 4s and 5s rather quickly.
    And I have seen 6 and 7s that turn into 10s once you see the rest of the person.
    The thing is in the real world "miracles" happen only once in a blue moon.... why else you wouldn't see jennifer aniston marrying off her garbage man or even the "average looking" conan o'brien, why would she go for brad pitt? why madonna goes for guy ricci (or whatever his name is)? why j-lo goes for ben instead of people like adam, john, tarique etc etc? Why pam anderson goes for rock stars? Why trista goes for ryan instead of bob?

Mel is NO different!

It's NOT because she is anything far above in "quality" per say that an unspoken, glass-ceiling barrier exist between the beauty and the beast (per say) .....afterall I deem some of the guys from the original pool (such as tareq, adam, dennis, craig etc) have far superior quality about them than Mel herself! It's just that the qualities i'm speaking of doesn't necessarily measure physical attributes exclusively..... "brains" and other human qualities matters too

Right?

Yet the reality of physical attractivness exist. I dont' deny it. In fact the whole point of this thread is to show you that this show is a waste of time and energy... putting people in uncomfortable situations when they don't deserve/ need to.... for ALL parties, not just the guys but Mel herself too! We already know the answer!

A WildCard guy that she could call back would be interesting.

Something I found interesting, was that Melana said "Zach knows how to be with a woman" while other guys, like John, seem to be awkward and overreact to the same situations. (A peck on the cheek)

Maybe they should send the Average Joes on a workshop on "how to make a woman feel like you know what you are doing" course at the start of the show.

I think its called Drama school.

Either that or summer camp.

P.S.
    Regarding a tv show called "ugly folks looking for love", I would watch a reality show that had "People with Personality that can make Witty Conversation Looking for Love" over some of the soft focused plastic people in The Bachelor any day.
    Well you and I both. I love to catch that show too.

But not to be a broken record or anything, AJ is nowhere near "People with Personality that can make Witty Conversation" ....tho I do admit some can converse better than they look.... but then again the whole point of the show is about "Romance" or "Love" in the first place... I just feel that the producers don't have the bachelorette or the suitors best interests in mind, rather they want the viewers to be entertained more than anything. Like "Jerry Springer", if you get my drift.

And about the differences between Zach and John as far as dating/ be with a woman experience concern, you're absolutely right! John has alot to learn before he can catch up to Zach in the "love" department.... that is why I've said this alot of time before and I'll say it again, these guys are in over their heads.... and I'm not only talking about the suitors, Mel too has to realize that "speed dating" with incompatible people on a TV show is bound to fail.

I'm sorry if it does sound cynical but that's the reality of this "reality show".

this show is a waste of time and energy
    So turn the channel. For those watching, they apparently enjoy it, so why are you harshing their buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by annray
    Or why not just throw in a bunch of guys that are average, not so average and gorgeous and let things unfold as they might.
    Because she'd keep the gorgeous ones b/c people like to look at good looking people.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind how they've set this up. If the question is: Could a hottie go for an average guy?, then I think it has to be set up this way. The hottie weeds thru the average guys and presumably narrows to average guys with the perfect personalities for her. Then throw in the models to see if looks really are more important than personalities.

The problem is that if she ends up picking Jason in the end, we won't know if it was looks or looks plus personality. If he had problem skin, would she still go for him?

I think we agree more than we disagree.

From what I can tell, k1w1 thinks that the Beauty and the Beast myth couldn't happen in real life,
    and especially not on a TV show.

I have heard that ugly guys (comedians) that can make the ladies laugh are sometimes forgiven for their less than average looks.

Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    The thing is in the real world "miracles" happen only once in a blue moon.... why else you wouldn't see jennifer aniston marrying off her garbage man or even the "average looking" conan o'brien, why would she go for brad pitt? why madonna goes for guy ricci (or whatever his name is)? why j-lo goes for ben instead of people like adam, john, tarique etc etc? Why pam anderson goes for rock stars? Why trista goes for ryan instead of bob?

They go for these people because you usually meet your mate in your circle. Your circle of friends, your circle at work, your circle in your day to day travels.
    The Trista/Ryan/Bob thing.. who knows? She kept him long enough. I don't find Ryan drop dead gorgeous, he's a good looking guy with a fab body (thanks to his work) The Jlo's and Jen Anistons don't hang out at your local watering hole, nor do they hook up with the garbage man, more than one starlet has been known to take up with the gardener though
    From the pool of men that Melena was introduced to she *thought* she had to choose a suitor, she would (and still could) have if the good looking/no personality guys hadn't been thrown into the mix.

Malena sure got cocky with Zack after the *princes* arrived. She was no where near that forceful with him before he had anything to worry about.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    They go for these people because you usually meet your mate in your circle. Your circle of friends, your circle at work, your circle in your day to day travels.
    The Trista/Ryan/Bob thing.. who knows? She kept him long enough. I don't find Ryan drop dead gorgeous, he's a good looking guy with a fab body (thanks to his work) The Jlo's and Jen Anistons don't hang out at your local watering hole, nor do they hook up with the garbage man, more than one starlet has been known to take up with the gardener though
    From the pool of men that Melena was introduced to she *thought* she had to choose a suitor, she would (and still could) have if the good looking/no personality guys hadn't been thrown into the mix.

Malena sure got cocky with Zack after the *princes* arrived. She was no where near that forceful with him before he had anything to worry about.
    I agree about your opinion that romance usually comes from those who are closest to you. But I'm not talking about that here. I'm talking about "looks" and "personalities" and "power" and "wealth"... look, life is a curious thing, who knows what someone's "ciricle of friends" are like? who knows what kind of people a person hangs out with? For all we know, JLo could very well be "friends" with her garbage man or gardener.... we don't know for sure BUT we know darn well that she ain't going hook up with anyone of them anytime soon! The odds of that relationship turning into romance is practically nonexistent! What does exist is JLo's, Aniston's, Trista's, Pam Anderson's pursuit for either the rich, powerful, or good-above-average-looking or any combination of the 3. Ben, Kid Rock, Ryan and Brad Pitt are just that! No questions about it. Of course there are ALWAYS exceptions and you could argue with me til the cows come home but the fact of the matter is "beautiful" folks usually goes for people just as "beautiful" as they are. It's losely termed "compatibility".

And the example you raised of Zach and Mel's relationship before and after the "new guys" arrival reinforces what I've been trying to say all along. It's only natural for Mel to demand "better" (we couldn't really blame her for choosing given the choice) when the "game" is raised to a whole new level in which Zach is no longer the dominant, fore-runner of the show's suitors. She wants "Brad Pitt" types!

Am I wrong?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast