+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Melana's Cousin

I think it will be interesting to see how the guys act when the tables are turned. They probably would think Melana was shallow if she didn't look at them next to a great-looking guy, but they might feel justified in thinking they are above dating a fat girl who has Melana's personality.

I agree with the comment above that this show would not work with a bunch of plain Janes trying to get the handsome guy. With Average Joe, everyone is thinking that the girl will be a shallow witch if she doesn't give the average guys a good chance for romance. If the show was called Average Jane, I think the comments would be more on the side of the good-looking guy, with people saying that it is disgusting that they expect him to date these girls or how could that fat girl dare to think she could ever date him? I could be wrong, but I just think society accepts heavier, plainer guys and the idea of them with a good-looking woman (especially if the guy has money) much easier than they would accept the reverse. A double standard which stinks, in my opinion.

Crystal Allen

Double Standard

I think it's more that men are judged on their jobs and accomplishments more than their looks. You see beautiful women with wealthy and accomplished ugly men, not ugly men that are toll booth collectors or cab drivers. Men 'get away with it' because it's not supposed to be as important. Women can't because they are judged on their looks.

Remember the TV Guide article referenced here that talked about Average Joes with brains. These guys all had notable accomplishments; travel, touring with a band, academic achievment, Wall Street Trader, etc.

There are not too many instances where ugly women end up with good looking men...that's why "The Way We Were" with Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford is listed as fiction. But I think that if/when the good looking person and the plain individual do connect, it's because they compliment each other completely. It's just not going to happen on national tv between a model/celebrity wannabe and an Average Joe
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Ok so the NBC exces responsible for this bit of craziness must think we are all morons....

All day today, including the today show, the Macy's parade and anything else NBC showed but I missed....they have been running preview commericals in which they show "mels cousin" pulling her mask all the way off....

Its melana all right as if we didnt know when we first saw her....but it appears no one there could tell....

beam me up scotty....

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    In the previews, it shows the 'cousin' interviewing the guys from a pretty far distance. She's in a chair, with a big coffee table and then a cushy couch with the guy sitting on it. Maybe NBC didn't let them get real close to her. She just enters, introduces herself and then does the one-on-one interviews. The other girl sitting next to her looked like a relative (a sister or another cousin.)
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

good info thanks guys

Why do I have the theme from the old "Patty Duke Show" running through my head? ("Because their cousins. . . identical cousins . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by museumguy
    Ok so the NBC exces responsible for this bit of craziness must think we are all morons....

All day today, including the today show, the Macy's parade and anything else NBC showed but I missed....they have been running preview commericals in which they show "mels cousin" pulling her mask all the way off....

Its melana all right as if we didnt know when we first saw her....but it appears no one there could tell....

beam me up scotty....
    I don't know if NBC just haven't got the hang of this reality show thing, but it does seem straneg that they would let the viewers know this surprise in the previews.

I guess they are concentrating on trying to attract new viewers with the scam rather than thinking about surprising the current viewers by revealing the identity of the cousin on the show.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    wendiness

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I don't know if NBC just haven't got the hang of this reality show thing, but it does seem straneg that they would let the viewers know this surprise in the previews.

I guess they are concentrating on trying to attract new viewers with the scam rather than thinking about surprising the current viewers by revealing the identity of the cousin on the show.
    Exactly. They are desperate for viewers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast