+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What IS the reward? What is their motivation?

FORT Newbie

What IS the reward? What is their motivation?

I'm just trying to figure this out. What do these guys win?

I mean, I read in another post that they were sort of tricked into the show. Told they were selected to be the "Life of the Party." Did they know they were going to be competing for this girl? I'm starting to not really think so.

I'm not completely convinced that these losers agreed to this show because they wanted a shot at real love or to be publicly humiliated.

I mean, granted, she's a babe. I can see why these guys warmed up to her so quickly. Boy + Babe = drooling and following babe around like a puppy dog. But it's not like they know they'll get married, or a new girlfriend, or a million dollars, or even sex if they play her right. So then, what's their motivation to be there?

I don't know..... NO ONE KNOWS

The show was fine in the beginning when it "looked" like a carbon copy of ABC's "bachelor" but with a little "average" favour...... but since the stupid "twist" last night, I mean why bother calling the show what it is- it's NOT "average" at all.... Mel is going to dump the 3 remaining stooges in a heartbeat and go for the perfect 10 models! No doubt about it!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    I don't know..... NO ONE KNOWS

The show was fine in the beginning when it "looked" like a carbon copy of ABC's "bachelor" but with a little "average" favour...... but since the stupid "twist" last night, I mean why bother calling the show what it is- it's NOT "average" at all.... Mel is going to dump the 3 remaining stooges in a heartbeat and go for the perfect 10 models! No doubt about it!
    Not to belabor the point, but then what?

I just wonder if the motivation isn't money or a future with this girl, then what are they fighting for? They are fighting not to be eliminated? Why don't they want to be eliminated... why don't they want to be eliminated??? There's no reason given.

It's not like they are cast into the dessert without water of food (maybe they are actually... maybe that's why they act like elimination is so deathly). I think the only reason they DON'T wish to be eliminated is because it's sort of a nice vacation AND, (here's the big AND) they get some of the spot light (anyone notice all the failed actors among the Joes?).

It's an added dynamic and motivation that isn't mentioned in all the crafty editing.

Of course it would have added meaning that your buddy got prematurely kicked off a show because the chance that he would be seen in the public eye; get his 15 minutes of fame; leave a legacy, etc. would be greatly diminished. Of course you would throw a contest if in return you make an alliance with another team member to ensure that he get a little face time.

Long story short. What if the motivation is not the girl... but simply the camera? It seems like a much more motivating element, and explains some of the bizarre behavior.

Am I only seeing this? Or is it so obvious that it's not even worth mentioning? There's just strange alliances that seem to have been built early in the show and it wasn't around getting the girl, but something else, yet never explained.

What do you think?
    Last edited by countess; 11-18-2003 at 10:53 PM.

I think some of the guys went onto the show looking for romance, others no doubt did it for camera time as we do have a couple of actors among the men.

Even if there had been no twist last night, I still think that whichever guy Mel ultimately chose would not have ended up in a lasting relationship with her.

I guess they're simply playing to be the last guy standing, I can't see any reward beyond that really.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forgot to add to the site countess
    "That's Numberwang!"

In terms of "reward" I think there's no consipracy or fraud on anyone's part..... the guys are here for the girl. Period.

I think the producers of the show, however, was being a little TOO creative in terms of adding in "twists" and making the "plot" more interesting etc etc. but again I just don't buy that sh*t!

FORT Fogey
    Motivation = screen time for actors' "portfolios". High quality network footage to shop around to casting agents. "Here is some footage of me being the typical "geek", here is me pretending to be a Phd, professor, here is me acting drunk, here is me acting sad and look, I can even do tears on demand".

That is why the ones who were booted early were so upset. They could care less about Malena, sure they would like to bag her as an added bonus - but the main motivation here is "longer on the show, more exposure, more opportunity to score that "big break".

Who Cares???

I think you are completely over analyzing the situation...WHO CARES!!!???

The bottom line is this...reality shows are a guilty pleasure...for the most part there are NO redeeming qualities. It's just there to entertain. So we can look into the TV and say "Wow! I would never do that!" or "Can you believe Brad said that?"

I think anyone who has a sense of humor can understand the idea that these shows are FUN and Average Joe is FUNNY!!!

So stop trying to solve a problem when there isn't any problem to solve. Sit back and enjoy the fact that there are people out there who are willing to humiliate themselves for our pleasure!!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramerica
    I think you are completely over analyzing the situation...WHO CARES!!!???

So stop trying to solve a problem when there isn't any problem to solve. Sit back and enjoy the fact that there are people out there who are willing to humiliate themselves for our pleasure!!!
    Kramerica:
    I think that maybe you are over analying people's posts. LOL

One person sincerely asked what might be motivating the participants and other people gave their opinions. That is one of the best aspects about this board.

If you are content to simply watch shows for their entertainment value alone - Rock on Dude, more power to you. I respect that 100%.

However, if other people like to question aspects of the shows we watch, let us. If we want to look deeper than simple entertainment value, let us.

You asked "Who cares?" Well, I happen to care. What can I say? I guess I am just funny that way.

Have a great day my friend.
    Last edited by Daddio; 11-24-2003 at 03:50 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by countess
    Not to belabor the point, but then what?

I just wonder if the motivation isn't money or a future with this girl, then what are they fighting for? They are fighting not to be eliminated? Why don't they want to be eliminated... why don't they want to be eliminated??? There's no reason given.

It's not like they are cast into the dessert without water of food (maybe they are actually... maybe that's why they act like elimination is so deathly). I think the only reason they DON'T wish to be eliminated is because it's sort of a nice vacation AND, (here's the big AND) they get some of the spot light (anyone notice all the failed actors among the Joes?).

It's an added dynamic and motivation that isn't mentioned in all the crafty editing.

Of course it would have added meaning that your buddy got prematurely kicked off a show because the chance that he would be seen in the public eye; get his 15 minutes of fame; leave a legacy, etc. would be greatly diminished. Of course you would throw a contest if in return you make an alliance with another team member to ensure that he get a little face time.

Long story short. What if the motivation is not the girl... but simply the camera? It seems like a much more motivating element, and explains some of the bizarre behavior.

Am I only seeing this? Or is it so obvious that it's not even worth mentioning? There's just strange alliances that seem to have been built early in the show and it wasn't around getting the girl, but something else, yet never explained.

What do you think?
    You make great points..there is no cash prize mentioned and not even a vacation for two...seems like this whole thing is one big soap opera of folks trying to make it to C list stature as actors.

+ Reply to Thread