+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So many actors

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder
    What is bothersome about having actors playing roles is that it is no longer Reality TV when they do so. It's one thing to list the guy's profession as actor - no big deal there. But to list a guy's profession as "Professor, PhD" when he has no PhD, and is not a professor, and has been in 30 plays and 7 or 8 films - where clearly this Professor persona is simply another role, that's where they cross a line. It's Joe Schmo, not Average Joe.

Well I think you summed it up better than I could have for the person who wondered why some of us may be a little miffed at discovering its nothing more than a sitcom passing as a reality show.
    To use the word ' reality' and to pass itself off as such a show- not even tongue-in-cheek, but with a very straight face- and then to consist of actors being assigned various ' parts' to elicit feelings and connections from the audience...that is not something I can respect. Mostly because it is not showing any respect towards me, the viewer, or for that matter the world full of real " average Joes" who have been reduced to stereotypical mockerys.
    As far as getting upset goes - I just found myself wondering why theres so little ability on the part of network tv to come up with anything that can be both entertaining and authentic. They seem to always need to stoop to something like this. I don't know if that reflects on the programmers or on the viewers. Are we really so suffering in ADD that unless a show is garish and over-the-top ( however that has to be accomplished) we will channel surf in the first 20 seconds.
    I for one would rather have seen the real deal, even if it had been subtle and slow moving.
    Too bad some accept this as acceptable and think it just goes with the territory.
    By the way, the first guy let go was Dennis. He was the dark haired chiropractor who bore more than a passing resemblance to Todd of Big Head Todd and the Monsters.
    I imagine he was probably some real guy, poor schmuck, who was not as entertaining as the actors, so he was sent backing.
    Wonder what his view is on all this deceit?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    So. Out of Adam, John and Zach.. you're saying they're all actors?

If this is true, I'd like to see some proof, cause now I'm curious.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Actually, I think she's finally weeded out all of the actors ... unless you count the "models" who we know nothing about yet.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    So why are we so upset?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I think upset may be overstating my feelings. And it is a little better now ... but having at least 3 actors in there out of 12, especially Tareq - who's entire persona was a role, was annoying.

FORT Newbie
    I have no idea about the remaining three guys and whether or not htey are actors - and I also have no real motivation to peruse around hte web and find out.
    I know they want viewers for these shows, and everything from The Bachelor to Average Joe to Who Wants To Marry My Dad is edited and ' guided' to be entertaining and dramatic.I remember seeing an outtake from " The Bachelor" where Jen first emerges from the car to meet Andrews parents. She stumbles - thats what REALLY happens - and it was charming and sweet the way she composed herself. But they re-ddi it ( Take 2! ) like a movie. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see her being real, and Andrews real response as well? I think so.
    Maybe it just strikes a nerve with me because everything we are supposed to accept as 'authentic' is , actually, phony or image controlled. Whether its the soundbites of politicians we have to undergo, who are judged on the image on tv more than what they stand for - or the airbrushed models we can look like if we buy enough L'Oreal products - to the " reality" tv shows that have actors and scripting and retakes of " spontaneous" moments- its all that same fake crap that I for one am totally tired of and bored with.
    I hate to sound like a snob, but I really think time is better spent reading a book.

Reality TV, as I end up saying at least once during the run of every show, is not 'reality', and no one should labor under the delusion that it is. It's heavily edited, re-shot, and guided by producers.

It's entertainment, and if you would rather get your entertainment by reading a book, then more power to you, but realize that you're on a site to discuss reality TV, not a site to discuss books. I personally don't think they're actors, and I could care less if they are...If you're entertained by it, then the show has done its job. If not, then why are you here?

One other thing that needs to be remembered is that they get many of these people from L.A. Yes, bios may *say* they're from Walla Walla or whatever, but that's where they're born and raised- not where they currently live (the shows are all taped there, so it cuts down on costs if they don't have to fly the participants in. Take the Bachelor-- in the first ep this season, all the ones where they went to the chosen girls houses were in Cali....and they were many.). So-- what do you find in L.A. and the surrounding area? Simple-- out-of-work actors, plain and simple. No biggie, if you ask me. Just because they're actors by trade does in NO WAY mean that's what's happening on the show(s). Might they ham it up a bit for the cameras? Of course, but so would anyone.

NBC's official Average Joe message board is putting a gag onto any poster who reveals anything about the show being scripted and that atleast 2 of the guys are actors.

hehe easier said than done... i'm laughing my head off.... hahaha you have no idea... i mean why this? why? what for?

i'm sleepy good night

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast