+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just a side note on Melena's conversation with Zach.

If I were in Italy Italian Idol's Avatar

Just a side note on Melena's conversation with Zach.

I don't know if any of you caught the conversation that Melena had with Zach about Zach's mother wanting him to marry a Jewish girl. Now, I'm not Jewish and I don't see why he would need to conform with the rules laid out by his mother. My mother or father never told me that I have to marry an Italian girl and in fact I didn't. Which leads me to the point of this thread. He also mentioned that being Jewish would not allow him to participate in a Christmas Celebration. This being Melena's favorite holiday, would she not have a problem with this and how would others feel if put into a predicament like this. Might not sound to trivial but isn't consolidation part of a relationship. I can see myself how that would put a wrench into my plans if that were a situation that I was faced with.

Just looking for your thoughts and experiences. I don't proffess to know much, just learning by asking and hopefully finding answers to life's questions. I better stop now before I start sounding like Tareq!
    "I come from humble grounds. I was never spoiled, so I know how to appreciate things given to me"

FORT Newbie
    Well, I don't know about Zach (Is that how he likes to spell his name. I have a son Zachary and people spell his name Zac, Zack, Zak, and Zach. I spell it Zac just because I thought it would be the easiest for him to learn to write and undestand phonoetically.)
    But back on topic. I dont know about Zach but I had a Jewish Dad and a Christian Mum and we celebrated, Passover, Easter, Hannnuka and Christmas. It was fun! Mind you neither of them was religious they were only culturally Jewish and Christian. Really they were both agnostics. Still unless Zac is really religious which I doubt, he should losen up and share Christmas with Melena and get her to celebrate a Passover celebration with him. If there was any possibility of them actually dating in the future,which of course there isn't.

Italian Idol, you can be from different countries and still practice the same religion - so I don't think your comparison of Zack having to marry a Jewish girl to your having to marry an Italian girl is really a fair comparison. I am Jewish (by birth, although I am not religious) so maybe I can shed a little light on the nature of their conversation.

By Jewish law and tradition, Judaism is passed down maternally - meaning that in order to be considered Jewish, your mother has to be Jewish. So if Zack married a non-Jewish woman, his children would not be considered Jewish. If it were Melana that were Jewish and Zack were not, then their children would be Jewish (if they were to have any - which they won't, because it won't last ). Anyway, to Jews who are religious, this matter of their children being Jewish as well is very important. Which is why he would have said it was very important to his mother.

I am in no way suggesting that you cannot have a successful union between different faiths (or nationalities, for that matter). It is very possible, and happens all the time, if both parties involved are opened to it, and are willing to incorporate some of each other's traditions into their lives.

I'm not sticking up for Zack, because I don't like the guy at all - but I don't believe he said he wouldn't celebrate Christmas, he just said he doesn't celebrate it. I think his reaction was due to her surprise when he said he didn't. Melana acted like she couldn't believe it, as if everyone in the world celebrates Christmas. He probably comes from a somewhat religious family - truly religious Jews would not celebrate Christmas, as it is not part of their religion. However, if his Jewish background is more of a cultural experience than a religious one (as mine is), I can't see any reason why he couldn't participate in Christmas celebrations with her.

Didn't mean to turn this into a lecture, and I am certainly not an authority on the matter. Just speaking from my experience...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Newbie
    I live in New Zealand and we haven't seen this episode yet but I have spoiled myself so I know about the hot guys which was the OBVIOUS twist I expected including limo guy. Anyway I'll bet Zach just trotted out the "I'm Jewish your not" line NOW to save face now that he knows he's gonna be dumped for Adam or a hot guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerwoman
    I live in New Zealand and we haven't seen this episode yet but I have spoiled myself so I know about the hot guys which was the OBVIOUS twist I expected including limo guy. Anyway I'll bet Zach just trotted out the "I'm Jewish your not" line NOW to save face now that he knows he's gonna be dumped for Adam or a hot guy.

Actually it was Melana who brought it up on thier date...cause apparently he said he was Jewish on thier first date, and she wanted to revisit that talk. He said his mom would be bothered that he didn't marry a Jewish gal. Then they talked about Christmas, and how he doesn't "do it", and she said it's her favorite holiday.

He didn't know that the good looking guys were entering the game at all.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fan
    I have a lot of Jewish friends and I know to some of their families, marrying someone Jewish is EXTREMELY important. One Jewish friend said she would never bring home a non-Jewish man whom she was dating to meet her father. She also said if she had ever married a non-Jewish man that her father would probably stop all contact with her. Sad, but that's how some families are. As for the person who said that if a Jewish man married a non-Jewish woman, then their kids wouldn't be Jewish -- I don't think that's true. A Jewish friend of mine married a woman from Mexico. I don't know if she converted to Judaism, but I do know she wasn't Jewish to begin with, yet their children are being raised as Jewish. I attended their son's Bar Mitzvah last year -- pleasant event.

As for a Christian marrying someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, this has crossed my mind in the past. I love Christmas and it would be hard to be with someone who didn't celebrate it at all. However, I think anyone you are with has positive aspects and negative aspects, and this would be something one would just have to deal with -- and/or decide in advance if the difference in religion and religious celebrations is a make-or-break it point.

Lynn

I do think it showed some ignorance on Melana's part to ask Zach if he celebrated Christmas, since he'd just said he was Jewish, a faith that does not celebrate Christmas. Hasn't she ever heard of Hannukah? (may be misspelled; I'm not Jewish myself).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Melana definitely doesn't seem too well versed on the tenets of various religions. But, to be fair, I also saw an interview Matt Lauer (I think) did with Jerry Seinfeld last November during which he asked "what is your daughter getting for Christmas"...Jerry's reply was "nothing, she's Jewish."
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

FORT Newbie
    Imagine if Zach told her his birthday is in October. It's March and Melena asks what kind of birthday party he wants that weekend. That's the kind of silly comment that was. Unfortunately, it happens quite often. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
    Last edited by foodgal; 11-18-2003 at 09:50 PM. Reason: edited to add silly sheep

I really don't think Melana's out looking for a husband anyway. It's a moot point. I'm Catholic, intend to marry someone who's Catholic or willing to convert, and yet I've gone with many guys who aren't. Sometimes a girl's got to play.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast