+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did they know?

Did they know?

I'm just wondering if these guys knew that they were going to be "average"? If they did then no one should be complaining about how they are portrayed. But seriously, they are not average. I think the producers went out of their way to find less than average looking guys.

Hmmmm, good question. I'm sure the ones that were paid knew. But, if Zach's reaction is to be believed ("I don't like being the best of the average") then maybe some didn't.

I recently had the experience of being told that I was "average", and let me tell you, it stings! So I feel bad for them if they showed up thinking that they were special for getting picked and ended up realizing that their only asset was their lack of.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by finley
    I'm just wondering if these guys knew that they were going to be "average"? If they did then no one should be complaining about how they are portrayed. But seriously, they are not average. I think the producers went out of their way to find less than average looking guys.
    In todays reality TV dating show style, they'd have to at least know something was up to be picked, these guys would not expect to be picked for the Bachlorette, any more than I could expect to go on the Bachelor

But as a collective? It's one thing for them to think "hey I'm hotter than I thought!" But to sit in a room full of the guys is something different.

I think they may have been presented with the concept that they were going to cast guys who are "average", meaning not Adonis. So, in that sense they were very deceived since this show apparently went out of its way to find social misfits (in some cases, not all -- guess they wanted a balance) and then to exaggerate everything so as to make them look like buffoons. I feel sorry for these guys - they've been had.

Hug me!
    Of course they are average! they can't even get on Survivor.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

Quote Originally Posted by RubenFan#205
    Of course they are average! they can't even get on Survivor.
    Too mean! I think that once they all realized what the deal was, they took it pretty well. Well, except for Zach...
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Well, there are friends and family posting in this forum. John's mom says that the show had a working title called "Life Of The Party". Once he found out the real premise, he decided to stay on anyway.
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    I think they may have been presented with the concept that they were going to cast guys who are "average", meaning not Adonis. So, in that sense they were very deceived since this show apparently went out of its way to find social misfits (in some cases, not all -- guess they wanted a balance) and then to exaggerate everything so as to make them look like buffoons. I feel sorry for these guys - they've been had.

I've come across every one of your posts that is regarding this show as trash/filth/mean/etc/etc....I think it's funny how you said you won't watch it anymore, but you continue to post about it. I personally don't like certain reality shows, but I won't go in any threads about them and try and convince everyone that it's awful. Of course, I DO know that everyone has their opinion, and by no means am I saying "don't tell us what you think"...I actually welcome other's opinions. But, I'm ready to lay a dollar bet that you'll continue to watch, and continue to post negative comments about it. Maybe my opinion will change, but I felt compelled to tell you my opinion of the show so far.

They all chose to continue with the taping and obviously all agreed to have it aired, also KNOWING that they were all there for a shot at a hot chick (someone normally "unreachable"/out of their realm"). Whether they found out AFTER the first episode or BEFORE the first episode...they decided to stay. Seems to me that you're having more of a problem with the premise of the show than the actual contestants did.

Also, as a viewer, I'm not looking at them and slapping my knee with laughter cause I think they don't have a shot at dating her, or any other reason like that. I enjoy (so far) watching how they try and convince her that they are better than all the others. Their personalities will have to shine more if they find they're not more physically attractive then others, or they'll bring out the characteristics that they KNOW makes them stand out more (ie; tap dancing). I will laugh if they make fools of themselves though. (ie; spilling a drink down your suit)

I don't hate or dislike unattractive/less fortunate/geeky/dorky/average looking people, nor do I tease them or want to see anyone,for that matter, teased or ridiculed..in ANY form of entertainment. The show isn't having them all run around the local town with clown suits on, going to a hip bar full of "studs" to compete against, nor are they suppose to be half naked oinking like pigs on the sidewalk in hopes of garnering the most laughs. They're at a private mansion, among themselves, vying for the attention of a woman who would otherwise never blink an eye in any of thier directions, if it wasn't for the show.
    If there is anything embarrassing for these guys to endure, it's from amonst themselves (ie; Zach smashing the egg, the one guy spilling his drink down himself, the guy who walked in with his shoe untied), NOT from the producers/Melana/the viewers.

A great example of what my point is here....

Paradise Hotel was full of "attractive and physically fit" men and women, even to the extent that half of'm were models. Throughout the whole show these nimwits were the meanest/most self-centered/egotistical/rude/obnoxious jerks that I've ever seen on a reality show. They continually made fools of themselves. I watched the whole damn show, with glee!!! I laughed at them mercilessly....cause they deserved it.

Average Joe. (*this observation is based soley on one episode so far) These guys are supposed to be "average"...and as far as I can tell, they're doing exactly what the "average" guy would do. It'll probably get to the point where they're fighting/acting like idiots/etc... I dunno yet, but I'm not going to not watch just cause they're deemed nerdy and we should just feel sorry for them. I'll laugh at them if they deserve it, cause in my opinion, nobody is above being laughed at.
    As far as I'm concerned these Average Joe's have shown more class than the Paradise Hotel guests, and I have more respect for them simply because of their behaviors. Also, I think that these guys won't be embarrassed cause they were on the show, as opposed to the Paradise Hotel people, whom I think ARE embarrassed.

I dunno if this makes any sense to you (I kept getting interrupted at work while typing), but I like the show...and I hope that any "switches" or "surprises" don't include belittling any of'm..cause THEN I'd agree with you. Please don't think I'm trying to incite an argument with you, cause I'm not...it's just mho.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Regular
    >> As far as I'm concerned these Average Joe's have shown more class than the Paradise Hotel guests, and I have more respect for them simply because of their behaviors.

Word!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast