+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Anybody notice the little Disclaimer they showed at the end?

FORT Fogey

Did Anybody notice the little Disclaimer they showed at the end?

While watching the show on tape i noticed at the very ending credits, they made a disclaimer to the degree that:

"Participants may have consulted with producers regarding their choices and decisions"

I found it really wierd that she booted off 3 of what i would consider the more average of the average Joes.
    Last edited by CharlaFan; 11-04-2003 at 10:36 AM.

Yeah, I saw that and almost threw a shoe at my tv!

I mean, come on, does NBC think that the viewing public is so bored that we need paid "average Joes" in order to really enjoy the show?!? I think the concept of this reality show is really great, but if people are being paid then I can't really get into the people on the show - the show won't have anything genuine to say about people, looks or love. It's just a spectacle.

BTW - I stopped watching American Idol when I found out that the really really bad auditions were "bought".

Note to tv execs - I like reality tv, I like seeing how these people REALLY are, stop messing with your shows and just tape the darn things! I promise I would still watch!
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

FORT Fogey
    yeah they also did make another disclaimer that some of the contestants were paid. I forgot that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilde
    Yeah, I saw that and almost threw a shoe at my tv!

I mean, come on, does NBC think that the viewing public is so bored that we need paid "average Joes" in order to really enjoy the show?!? I think the concept of this reality show is really great, but if people are being paid then I can't really get into the people on the show - the show won't have anything genuine to say about people, looks or love. It's just a spectacle.

BTW - I stopped watching American Idol when I found out that the really really bad auditions were "bought".

Note to tv execs - I like reality tv, I like seeing how these people REALLY are, stop messing with your shows and just tape the darn things! I promise I would still watch!
    YES!!
    I totally agree. I'm so tired of overproduced (except joe schmo) reality shows. NBC is really bad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaFan
    While watching the show on tape i noticed at the very ending credits, they made a disclaimer to the degree that:

"Participants may have consulted with producers regarding their choices and decisions"

I found it really wierd that she booted off 3 of what i would consider the more average of the average Joes.
    I thought the same thing, I would have at the very least kept Eric. And Dennis seemed really nice but he didn't bother to even try to talk to her, just assumed he would get picked. I was more ok that they consulted with producers than that they were paid.

searching for reality voyager265's Avatar
    But aren't most reality show people paid.

On survivor and BB aren't they paid a stipend for the amount of days they are on the shows? On Paradise Hotel they talked about being paid and getting bonuses for doing extra stuff.

And on the Bachelor they consult with producers about choices.
    Last edited by voyager265; 11-04-2003 at 11:40 AM.
    Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager265
    But aren't most reality show people paid. On survivor and BB aren't they paid a stipend for the amount of days they are on the shows? On Paradise Hotel they talked about being paid and getting bonuses for doing extra stuff.
    I know you're right about BB and Survivor - as well at TAR. Not sure about Paradise Hotel as I didn't get invovled in it. I don't mind if they get paid a stipend because, after all, they are giving up their lives for several months.

My problem is when they are paid to act a certain way, such as the AI auditions. Check out the photos of Dennis (the Dennis not booted last nigh) in his thread - the guy is a professional actor who can look REALLY hot or REALLY geeky. Anyone want to bet on the role he is playing here?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager265
    But aren't most reality show people paid.

On survivor and BB aren't they paid a stipend for the amount of days they are on the shows? On Paradise Hotel they talked about being paid and getting bonuses for doing extra stuff.

And on the Bachelor they consult with producers about choices.
    Off-topic but, your sig line made me laugh out loud.

So the participants are paid, and the shows are scripted... reminds me of that movie Truman, which suddenly doesn't seem like such a stretch.

I viewed that disclaimer a different way. I interpreted it as the show paid Melana to stay and get to know the average Joe's, not the other way around.

I also thought maybe they coached her to keep the most repulsive ones of those she didn't like in order to add to the drama - even though she has no intention of keeping them to the end.
    Not laughing, just rolling on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by NL,JROTF
    I viewed that disclaimer a different way. I interpreted it as the show paid Melana to stay and get to know the average Joe's, not the other way around.

I also thought maybe they coached her to keep the most repulsive ones of those she didn't like in order to add to the drama - even though she has no intention of keeping them to the end.
    I agree totally! WHen I saw her "choices", I said something's fishy here. I absolutely believe the producers are manipulating the choices which makes this show completely unworthy of watching. There's no way on earth I'm going to believe she selected the ones she did and kept guys like the one from Texas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast