+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Average Joe viewing parties wanted!

Personally, I'm not watching to ridicule the guys. I like them. I'm rooting for them, and I hope they don't get their feelings hurt but most of them seem grounded enough that they'll survive it all just fine.
    Now, what's this about a FORT convention?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Personally, I'm not watching to ridicule the guys. I like them. I'm rooting for them, and I hope they don't get their feelings hurt but most of them seem grounded enough that they'll survive it all just fine.
    Now, what's this about a FORT convention?
    Oh C'mon! Girls ridicule guys all the time and don't even try to deny it! Besides, these guys knew what they were in for and had the decision to leave. They decided to stay. To some of them, it's just a joke! C'mon, can you imagine telling your grand kids one day "Gran pop was on a reality tv show one time"! Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, and this is theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by Chorona88
    Oh C'mon! Girls ridicule guys all the time and don't even try to deny it! Besides, these guys knew what they were in for and had the decision to leave. They decided to stay. To some of them, it's just a joke! C'mon, can you imagine telling your grand kids one day "Gran pop was on a reality tv show one time"! Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, and this is theirs!
    Hey, I'm more than happy to ridicule guys that I meet in real life, or those who go on reality shows and behave like idiots. I'm not denying it at all. What I'm saying is that I'm not watching this show for the express purpose of making fun of geeks trying to woo Miss America. Yes, I'm sure it will be amusing, but I think the amusement is provided by the guys' comments (I almost fell out over the one who made Melana try on his glasses, raved about how good she looked in them and then admitted he couldn't really see her that well). But I don't think that's the same as making fun of them. I think these guys would be funny had the show been something other than a dating show. Sure, this could all change as the show progresses; some of the guys could prove to be as*holes and then I would make fun of them. But I'm more inclined to be sympathetic to these guys than I would be to the usual lot of model-types that go on reality dating shows, simply because they are regular guys. And also because they didn't expressly try to be on a dating show, they thought they were getting into something different. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them, especially the more intellectual ones, have decided to make a joke out of it. Good for them.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by joe_employee
    Thank you for the interest in the show.

This may be premature but one of the producers for the show has asked me to find out if any of you are planning to have viewing parties of the show? If so we would love to get video of fans watching the show at parties around the country.

If you like the show and plan a party let us know by posting a reply to this thread. We will send you an email so that we can get in touch and exchange information.

The show was a blast to make - I hope you enjoy it!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Green]

I have a group of friends that habitually reviews the dating "reality" shows. We usually talk at work or pick up the phone and call each other during and after the shows. We can plan a great party here in VA if you guys are interested. How does a nice house just off the Chesapeake Bay sound? Or we could have a floating party on the bay. Let me know!

"Curiousity killed the cat, but for a while I as a suspect." Steven Wright
    VA Tech Hokies Rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    (I almost fell out over the one who made Melana try on his glasses, raved about how good she looked in them and then admitted he couldn't really see her that well). .
    As I remember the situation, he didn't ask her to try on his glasses, rather Melana took them and said "let's see how blind you are." That's an incredibly rude thing to say/do. Nasty. Nasty. I can't say I was crazy about Melana before that, but after she did that I really saw her as insensitive and rude.

wendiness? I thought you had sworn off Average Joe?

When you take words out of context they can sound demeaning. Since you watched the show you would know that it was a welcome, personal moment Mark(?) was very flattered that she would reach over and take his glasses from his face. Melena was laughing and so was Mark. Afterward, in his commentary he was flabergasted (in an awe inspired way) that she was even talking to him.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    I was making that very point: we SHOULDN'T forget, we SHOULD remember they are people.

I agree with you about the choices. Clearly influenced by the producers. This whole show will be. That's why I wont' be watching any further episodes.
    Your loss

Wendiness these men don't need protecting. Your moral outrage is misplaced. The men had a chance to walk at anytime after they found out the real premise of the show. Saving those who don't need saving is a waste of time and space.

The previews made me think the show might be a little vicious but watching it changed my mind. The men were treated with dignity and respect (except by eachother) and they seemed to be having a fantastic time. I will continue to watch and my husband has actually expressed interest in the show! This is a major thing in my house, my husband thinks the reality dating shows are disgusting and scripted.. this one he said looks interesting.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My husband has actually perked up at this one too. I gotta say, I am rooting for these guys, but not necessarily to win the girl. I just love seeing normal people portrayed on national tv. I think the prize for them, as was said by someone else on the boards, might be meeting great women, but not necessarily winning the beauty queen.

I feel there's no need for outrage. It's easy to forget how "average" the world really is when we are bombarded by above-average looks 24/7 in the media.
    These guys are lovable, and if they are sometimes laughable, no more than the rest of us. I'm a big dork, too! Most of us are in one way or another, just some folks manage to keep it out of public viewing. Believe me, every one of us has tripped over a clothes hanger walking through our bedroom, or said something INCREDIBLY stupid to someone we just met, or done something else geeky.

I am very interested in this show because I think this cross-section of guys is probalby a bit more real than most reality shows. I think I would be just as content watching them vie for the affections of an average girl, but we'd lose the hook of getting to watch Melana flip her way of thinking upside-down.

Go, Average Joe! I'm in!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12