+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: An excellent article

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Not to mention...the author of this article also referred to these guys as "pathetic losers". Someone please explain how a 21-year-old PHD can be considered as pathetic and/or a loser??????
    Wow my thoughts exactly! PHD at 21 is definately not a pathetic loser, and in a field like AI...geez! I feel wholly inadequate now.

Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    Thats fine if that's your opinion, but you mistakenly said the author felt this way, when in fact his claim was the show was portraying them in that light.

What? The entire premise of this show are that these guys are the direct ANTITHESIS of the male participants on shows like Bachellorette and For love or money, i.e. they are better than average, largely desirable, etc. etc.. What's there to exploit about them?
    OK, OK - peace, skwadim
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but as a woman, I find the Joes more desirable than the B'ette and FLOM2 guys. If the network's aim is to portray them as desperate dorks, they are failing miserable, IMO. That's why I don't think they're being exploited. One could argue that the women on the current Bachelor are being exploited for their obvious strong feelings for Bachelor Bob, despite having awesome good looks.
    JMO...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

My response

From the "crush male ego" thread it seems like this article was more or less on point. According to that thread the original intention of the show was indeed to use the male participants as joke fodder, and after seeing Kathy Griffin's show, she's more than qualified to be the conduit.

Anyway, to all the people using the "the author's just bitter" defense, you are essentially proving his point. If the author looked like Brad Pitt or Taye Diggs, would you have come to the same "he's just bitter" conclusion? Probably not. So you have basically exploited about him what NBC has exploited with these guys.

And to the folks stating things like "I love these guys", or "they remind me of so and so at work" I'd bet there is an element of pity thrown into the mix here - Remember this is TV Land, and different rules apply. Remember how past "geeks" have been portrayed on TV : Screech, Urkel, and the like. These characters are indeed likeable and lovable, but there is an unmistakable sentiment of pity and sorrow shown for them, not to mention jokes at their expense : "Do you like cheeeeeese?"

In fact, Jaleel White was so pissed that he had the writers do that "SteFAN urKEL" crap. For those old enough to remember the show 'family matters', you know what Im talking about.

Anyhow, whoever gets "chosen" at the end will be of no consequence, as there is a higher chance of Bin Laden getting elected president than there is of this girl forming a lasting relation with any of them.

I can assure you that when I comment on the various guys I'd like or could see myself being friends with, there is not one ounce of pity evolved. I'm not that nice.

By the way, since you seem to be so interested in defending this article, what did you think about my point that the author HIMSELF was, using his own words, very insulting towards several of the guys?

(Let me know if you need me to cut and paste my exact point, to save you the trouble of looking back)

FORT Newbie
    John's brother is John as intelligent as you?

Quote Originally Posted by gingerwoman
    John's brother is John as intelligent as you?
    I would say so, but in different areas. We were both Communication Arts majors in college at the University of Wisconsin Madison with a focus on Radio-TV-Film. That's sort of our middle ground, but our second majors show the left brain vs right brain dichotomy inherent between us.

My brothers second major was in German, and he is unbelievably good at learning languages. He finds great pleasure in it. Going to Japan without an interpreter of any kind was only possible because John jumped at the chance to teach himself Japanese on the fly. He taught himself the Katakana alphabet (certainly the easier of the sybolic alphabets, but nevertheless...) He just loves to travel and throw himself into a foreign culture and figure it out: language, customs, etc. Quite frankly, jumping right in like that in Japan was a bit scary for me, but my brother LOVED it. I loved Japan, but it wasn't so much for the thrill of figuring out the place...

My second major is in Computer Science. So typical left brain type of thought processes. I just sort of "get" computers, and always have. I opted for the Comm Arts double as I thought it would give a hint on my resume that I have interpersonnal skills: a fact I could easily show if I could land an interview. But on the way, I made a lot of movies, and had a blast learning the techniques of the trade. So in a nerdy sort of way, my analasis of Average Joe is along the same lines... Studying the tricks of the trade as a reality TV series is created. Sadly, there are no courses available that focus on such a series. Perhaps because it's looked upon as a lesser art (a notion I would tend to agree with) or perhaps because of the continued stigma associated with reality TVs tendency to take jobs away from traditional Hollywood players (mostly writers) Either way, I think by it's popular attraction alone, reality TV is worth studying. The story arcs are the same as traditional media, it's just the directors don't really know what they'll get until it's shot (though casting can often go a long way in prepping the show for those arcs)

Anyway, I'd say my brother is definitely as smart as me, probably smarter. Definitely in a different way, though. Because of this dichotomy, however, we've always longed to work together making movies as a brotherly duo. It works very well for many other brother director teams, and it has a lot to do with the differing personalities coming together, yet already well trained to compromise based on a lifetime of sibling struggles.

The real goal for us would be to try and replicate the genius of the last great directorial duo of brothers to come out of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Of course, that would be the Zucker brothers. To be able to create films like their early work (Top Secret!, Airplane!, etc) would be a dream come true...

Maybe someday...

-Paul

FORT Newbie

Add

I would sooo go for John if I'd met him in real life. And he probably never would have noticed. Maybe he would have been looking at the Melenas I don't know. Guys like that never seemed interested in me for whatever reason. I ended up marrying a demolition man.
    I have a Masters Degree in English Literature with papers in Film and Television which were lumped in with English Lit at my New Zealand University.
    What did you think of David saying John has ADD? I have ADD.
    I think John is attractive except for the wiggling his eyebrows thing. That's a bit of a turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    Remember how past "geeks" have been portrayed on TV : Screech, Urkel, and the like. These characters are indeed likeable and lovable, but there is an unmistakable sentiment of pity and sorrow shown for them, not to mention jokes at their expense : "Do you like cheeeeeese?"

In the end didn't both guys get the girl? Their battle was hard fought and in the end they triumphed.
    Screech got Lisa and Urkel got Laura... so by your own example it's entirely possible that 'beauty' does look past the exterior and sees the man within.
    I have no trouble imagining the reality of Melana choosing one of these guys to date, have a relationship with, or even marry. The heart works in mysterious ways, anything is possible
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    In the end didn't both guys get the girl? Their battle was hard fought and in the end they triumphed.
    Screech got Lisa and Urkel got Laura... so by your own example it's entirely possible that 'beauty' does look past the exterior and sees the man within.
    I have no trouble imagining the reality of Melana choosing one of these guys to date, have a relationship with, or even marry. The heart works in mysterious ways, anything is possible
    Oh christ not this "anything is possible" argument again. First of all, I don't remember the ending of either show, and it's not really relevant. The point is throughout the course of the show the points I raised earlier were 100% true. No need to re-iterate them here. If they did "triumph", again, isn't it obvious that it's intended to be a hyperbole?

And yea , anything is possible, according to QM theory, a finite possibility exists that every particle in my body tunnels at the exact same time and I end up in a tanzanian forest the moment I step outside my car.

But how about we talk PROBABILITIES. In my view, a girl like her has very little probability in maintaining a relationship with these folks outside the guise of a TV show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234