+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An excellent article

Quote Originally Posted by Lu 1970
    So I can't believe I've lurked on this site for at least six months and watching the premiere of Average Joe tonight has finally prompted me to come out of the shadows..

Regarding the Post article, my first impression was that the author was at least as cruel as he seems to think the viewers are, if not more. He seemed to think we should just "leave the poor geeks alone and quit poking our fingers through the bars" IMHO.

I watched the show with my husband and although there were some signs of nerdy behavior, I LOVED these guys. Loved them and would be friends with them, and would have dated some of them had I met them. I actually don't feel like NBC is being too mocking...they certainly allow the good sides of these guys to shine through.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but when watching your average show involving several guys (B'ette, FLOM2) I found I had to try to get past the good looks in order to find the depth and lovable characteristics underneath - to find what I would connect with. In this case with Average Joe, the good stuff is right out there on display! The sexy dry sense of humor, the kindness, the good communication skills, whatever.

Anyway, my two cents, but I'm actually VERY engaged in this show so far compared to the typical premiere.

Nice to finally speak!

Not to mention...the author of this article also referred to these guys as "pathetic losers". Someone please explain how a 21-year-old PHD can be considered as pathetic and/or a loser??????

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Not to mention...the author of this article also referred to these guys as "pathetic losers". Someone please explain how a 21-year-old PHD can be considered as pathetic and/or a loser??????
    The quote from the article

" "Average Joe" is really an exercise in cynical humiliation, portraying the men not only as geeks but as freaks, a collection of largely pathetic losers whose loneliness is being exploited for viewers' nasty cackles. "

He wasn't calling them pathetic losers himself, he claims the SHOW is displaying them in that light. Besides he does't even issue a blanket statement, by saying "largely pathetic"

I think we're splitting hairs discussing the difference between calling a group of people "largely pathetic" and plain old "pathetic". Anyway, I don't find these guys to be particularly freaky, geeky, pathetic or otherwise. They really are just "average".
    Also, I don't recall anybody complaining about exploiting the loneliness of the model-perfect particpants of the Bachelor/b'ettes or FLOM1 and 2, who were after all just like the Joes, on a reality dating show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lu 1970
    I watched the show with my husband and although there were some signs of nerdy behavior, I LOVED these guys. Loved them and would be friends with them, and would have dated some of them had I met them. I actually don't feel like NBC is being too mocking...they certainly allow the good sides of these guys to shine through.

In this case with Average Joe, the good stuff is right out there on display! The sexy dry sense of humor, the kindness, the good communication skills, whatever.

Anyway, my two cents, but I'm actually VERY engaged in this show so far compared to the typical premiere.

Nice to finally speak!

I agree with you Lu, I love this show, just because these guys are so darn funny. The person who is to be ridiculed is Melana and her reactions, although I must say she has so far been a pleasure to watch as well, she is not just a pretty shell. Of course she was slightly shocked, because she had expectations planted in her mind watching all previous dating shows, but she got over this very fast, she seems like a very genuine person (And Melana, you better not disappoint us in the future ).

Thumbs up for this show, it's the best new reality show around.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Fort Member
    Probably will not get a chance to see this show in Australia or if we do it will be well after it has finished in the States but I like the premise and read the posts with interest. I just think that for once someone will be asked to judge people by personality, intelligance, sense of humor and all other aspects of themselves rather than looks ( I know Mr personality tried but truely failed). Plus chances of these guys being on the show just to enhance their careers like other dating shows is unlikely so maybe we will actually see some genuine people and genuine feelings. Reading the article made me just think that the person who wrote it was bitter and thought himself more intelligant than viewers of reality tv who he calims are seduced into watching the swill, maybe we are but the reason we watch is not for the mocking of these poor smucks he calls them but because we feel with this lot we might actually have someone to cheer for. My bet is though he will be watching till the end to see if guys who look like him actually have a chance with girl who looks like her

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda
    ...Reading the article made me just think that the person who wrote it was bitter and thought himself more intelligant than viewers of reality tv who he calims are seduced into watching the swill, maybe we are but the reason we watch is not for the mocking of these poor smucks he calls them but because we feel with this lot we might actually have someone to cheer for. My bet is though he will be watching till the end to see if guys who look like him actually have a chance with girl who looks like her
    Perhaps you're right, and the author of the Post article IS bitter... after all, reviewing reality shows can't be the most coveted beat at the Post, or even in its TV section... although it's got to be better than reviewing sitcoms lately.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Regular
    Anyway, I don't find these guys to be particularly freaky, geeky, pathetic or otherwise. They really are just "average".
    Thats fine if that's your opinion, but you mistakenly said the author felt this way, when in fact his claim was the show was portraying them in that light.

Also, I don't recall anybody complaining about exploiting the loneliness of the model-perfect particpants of the Bachelor/b'ettes or FLOM1 and 2, who were after all just like the Joes, on a reality dating show.
    What? The entire premise of this show are that these guys are the direct ANTITHESIS of the male participants on shows like Bachellorette and For love or money, i.e. they are better than average, largely desirable, etc. etc.. What's there to exploit about them?
    Last edited by skwadim; 11-10-2003 at 01:29 PM.

First off, Welcome to the site Lu!

I don't agree that these guys are being poked fun at AT ALL.

I've watched a lot of reality TV and who the audience likes or doesn't like has nothing to do with how they look. It's all about how they act.

After one episode, I'd guess that someone like Dennis L is one of the more popular guys. He's not the most attractive guy there, but he's certainly one of the nicest and obviously one of the most likeable, given how the other guys treated him. Dennis has done nothing to embarrass himself, unlike someone named Zach who referred to himself a few times as the best of the group.

I think it's great and I'm glad that they are being edited pretty well (so far) and not made out to be hideous losers.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast