+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friends and Family of the JOES

Quote Originally Posted by Avg John's Bro
    The two most recent pop culture references to Capoeira are probably the character Eddie Gordo from the video game Tekken 3. Also the reference in the movie Zoolander in which Mugatu states that Zoolander and Hansel are "Breakdance fighting", which to the lay onlooker is much what capoeira looks like. Maybe John will bust some moves on the show at some point.

PS I, too, am family of a Joe. That Joe would be John...

-Paul

Aha! Tekken. Now I have a visual on capoeira, although I cannot pronounce it. Thanks!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

John

I met John about 8 years ago through my best friend who was his highschool sweetie. He is a really funny and unique person (certainly not average!) and I am so excited to see how this all turns out for him! He can't say anything about the show unfortunately! Its just interesting and scary to find out how everything is edited together in the end!

P.S. "Hi John's mom!"

Quote Originally Posted by Avg John's Bro
    The two most recent pop culture references to Capoeira are probably the character Eddie Gordo from the video game Tekken 3. Also the reference in the movie Zoolander in which Mugatu states that Zoolander and Hansel are "Breakdance fighting", which to the lay onlooker is much what capoeira looks like. Maybe John will bust some moves on the show at some point.

PS I, too, am family of a Joe. That Joe would be John...

-Paul
    Hi Paul!

I saw your pic on www.baumsquad.com. Yeah, I remembered that capoeira was on a video game but couldn't remember it, and I didn't know that they had a scene of it in Zoolander! I know they also have a scene of capoeira in the horrible scooby doo movie. Just a glimpse, but it's there. I'm totally hoping that John busts some moves on the show because that'd so impress her!! Any guy who can move like that is totally hotter than they were before!! So, are you proud of your bro being on Average Joe? Does everyone at your school know who your bro is? Well, be proud of him if you're not already. He's a total gem and I'm sure you are too!

Talia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Aha! Tekken. Now I have a visual on capoeira, although I cannot pronounce it. Thanks!
    Here Lucy,
    This is from an article that our local newspaper did on our capoeira group. If you want to see the whole article, let me know and I'll send it to you. But it has a pronunciation of capoeira in it for you! It also gives people a pretty interesting description of what a capoeira gathering (roda - pronounced "hota") is like. - Talia
    ~*~*~*~*~*

Before DJs and turntables, people would breakdance to the beat of the berimbau.

Of course, they didn't call it breakdancing. They were African slaves in Brazil, and their art was a game they called "capoeira" (pronounced capo-wera).

They gathered in a circle and created a rhythm with drums, tambourines and a bowlike instrument called a berimbau. Two by two, they entered the circle, demonstrating a blend of dance, acrobatics and martial arts.

It was a ritualistic secret among the slaves _ an energetic, communal release that also prepared them to fight. It was rebellion. So it was outlawed in Brazil until 1930.

Capoeira landed in America, on the East Coast, in the 1970s, around when rap music and breakdancing were born. The art made its way to the South Bay about six years ago, and now it could be coming to a YMCA near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorona88
    Here Lucy,
    This is from an article that our local newspaper did on our capoeira group. If you want to see the whole article, let me know and I'll send it to you. But it has a pronunciation of capoeira in it for you! It also gives people a pretty interesting description of what a capoeira gathering (roda - pronounced "hota") is like. - Talia
    ~*~*~*~*~*
    Thanks, Chorona. That pretty much satisfies my curiosity.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Thanks, Chorona. That pretty much satisfies my curiosity.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorona88
    Sorry, it's www.omulula.com! :p Sometimes I'm just a tard. Have a good one!
    I saw an awesome dance group from Bahia perform in Atlanta. The perfomance included many different styles of South American native dance. They ended the performance by dancing and playing steel drums off the theater stage in a parade down the streets to a downtown park. I really enjoyed hanging out in the park watching them.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lurky
    Brad's from Michigan and now lives in California. I really doubt that he's being paid for the show.
    He seems so familiar! I think he is one of the funniest, probably most sincere one on the show. How tall is he anyway? Thanks for your insights!

from the FORT to all the friends and family of the Joes.

We're pleased to have you here, and appreciate your input while knowing you can't divulge much about whatever you may know about the show.

We hope you enjoy your stay at the FORT.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lurky
    Brad's from Michigan and now lives in California. I really doubt that he's being paid for the show.
    As far as I know none of the Joes are being paid.

I can only speak for Craig, but the guys are not being directed on this show. What you see is what you get!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast