Closed Thread

Thread: Letter of Protest TO NBC

FORT Newbie

Letter of Protest TO NBC

Send an the letter to Robert C Wright, NBC President, and
    Average Joe Producers Stuart Kranow and Andrew Glassman to AverageJoe@nbc.com

or fax letter to Robert C Wright at (212) 664-5830.

LETTER OF COMPLAINT

October 30, 2003

Dear Robert C Wright, President of NBC:

I am writing to express my concern about the negative portrayal of Asians on your new TV reality show Average Joe in which physically unattractive men compete for the hand of a beautiful woman. Two of the twelve are of Asian heritage: Tareq and Dennis S.

While no prime time reality show to date has featured Asian men at all, it seems particularly negligent on your network's part to feature Asian men finally--but to propagate the destructive stereotype of Asian men as being somehow sexually undesirable.

According to the most recent Census, Asian Americans are the fastest growing ethnic minority group in the United States, yet there still isn't a single prominent Asian character on prime time. The ones that do show up from time-to-time are usually fresh-off-the-boat, brainiac nerd characters whose actions invoke pitiful laughter rather than empathy.

Certainly, your network's ER has attempted to include Asians, but as female doctors, these characters are neither original nor groundbreaking. Your network must feel this is what remains most palatable to the American public, and this must be the explanation for why the only ethnic minority group you chose to portray as unattractive in Average Joe is Asian.

I am deeply offended by the venue in which you have selected to show Asian males on TV. By broadcasting Average Joe you turn a blind eye to the multi-culturalism that is America today.

Sincerely yours,

Place your name here

FORT Fan
    Yawn...
    how bout Jun Song and Jee??
    ~~~~~~
    Cheri...Reality TV and Free Stuff Fan

Reality Freebies....Real Free Stuff...Reality TV Links !

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    Send an the letter to Robert C Wright, NBC President, and
    Average Joe Producers Stuart Kranow and Andrew Glassman to AverageJoe@nbc.com

or fax letter to Robert C Wright at (212) 664-5830.

LETTER OF COMPLAINT

October 30, 2003

Dear Robert C Wright, President of NBC:

I am writing to express my concern about the negative portrayal of Asians on your new TV reality show Average Joe in which physically unattractive men compete for the hand of a beautiful woman. Two of the twelve are of Asian heritage: Tareq and Dennis S.

While no prime time reality show to date has featured Asian men at all, it seems particularly negligent on your network's part to feature Asian men finally--but to propagate the destructive stereotype of Asian men as being somehow sexually undesirable.

According to the most recent Census, Asian Americans are the fastest growing ethnic minority group in the United States, yet there still isn't a single prominent Asian character on prime time. The ones that do show up from time-to-time are usually fresh-off-the-boat, brainiac nerd characters whose actions invoke pitiful laughter rather than empathy.

Certainly, your network's ER has attempted to include Asians, but as female doctors, these characters are neither original nor groundbreaking. Your network must feel this is what remains most palatable to the American public, and this must be the explanation for why the only ethnic minority group you chose to portray as unattractive in Average Joe is Asian.

I am deeply offended by the venue in which you have selected to show Asian males on TV. By broadcasting Average Joe you turn a blind eye to the multi-culturalism that is America today.

Sincerely yours,

Place your name here

An excellent letter.

The two asian men are in much better shape, and considerably more photogenic than their causasian counterparts, yet their lack of european-heritage somehow makes them "average"

I think you lose it a little here. Essentially you are comparing apples and oranges. Are you saying you want them to not show Asian women as doctors because it is too unoriginal? I don't get your connection. By that logic, wouldn't including these two men on a groundbreaking reality show be original, and therefore desirable?

I'm not against your sentiments, I just think you have a tighter letter without mentioning ER.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I'm going to be listening really hard to see if anyone is Irish, then fire out a letter saying it's not right that he's being portrayed as a geek, when clearly there are not enough actors who are Irish.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I'm going to be listening really hard to see if anyone is Irish, then fire out a letter saying it's not right that he's being portrayed as a geek, when clearly there are not enough actors who are Irish.
    If this country had as deep seated history of discrimination and dehumanization against Irish people, as it did racial minorities, then by all means.

Top o the mornin to ya

I ramble...
    Jun and Jee from BB4, Curtis from BB1, and one of the guys that I don't remember his name on Cupid this summer. All Asian. Jun won BB4, and Curtis was in the F3 on BB1. I don't think Asians are getting an unfair shake in the reality tv world. This is the first NBC reality show that I'm actually going to watch the first of at least, so maybe, if it's true, say something about it being the first *NBC* reality show with Asians.

Closed Thread