Lawsuit over AF Forced Entry
Woman threatens lawsuit over raid during reality TV show filming
MUNCIE, Ind. (AP) - Lights, camera - lawyer!
A Muncie woman who says police mistakenly raided her apartment during filming of the now-canceled CBS reality show "Armed & Famous" has warned city officials that she intends to file a lawsuit.
A tort claim filed last week said that Lyndsay Clements "also holds liable all those associated with filming and airing the show," which aired on Jan. 11.
The claim, a required legal filing before Clements can file a lawsuit against the city, alleges the search was illegal and that police used excessive force, violating Clements' constitutional rights.
Producer Tom Forman, Muncie Police Chief Joe Winkle and city attorney Charles Clark declined to comment Monday. They said they were unsure whether police had a search warrant for the raid.
In the claim, Clements, a 22-year-old college student, said five to eight SWAT officers entered her apartment using a key provided by the landlord and handcuffed her.
Police searched the apartment and questioned her about the whereabouts of two people she did not know, according to the claim.
Outside the apartment, Jack Osbourne, one of the stars of the reality series, asked her why she had not opened the door. Osbourne was accompanied by another celebrity officer, La Toya Jackson, the claim said.
Police eventually realized they had gone to the wrong address and removed the handcuffs, the claim said.