+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Show Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

FORT Regular
    Whatever Jim's agenda was, he helped Marcella and he told her the truth. Remember too, that he said off to the side that he didn't like what he saw happening to her.

There is a possibilty that Jim has some good qualities. Few of us are totally good or totally bad. Sure Jim said he would trounce Marcella, but that's because she was on the other team and he needed to win. Once he was safe, he could be nice.

I don't think anyone is saying that they totally trust Jim or want him to win. But he did show an ounce of humanity and he helped her more than anyone else. We didn't see Leslie take Marcella to the side and tell her what she thought although Leslie did help her in the boardroom. But Leslie could have made a plan with Marcella.

It seems to me, Martha, instead of searching for a do everything leader, would be better off hiring some of these people who know exactly what they want and where they fit. For instance, David noticed the holes in Martha's online part of the business. Marcella pointed out a spot in the foods area. Jim (although he's explosive) is good at graphics (although I'm sure you can find several people good at graphics, and it's better to find someone who can get along with people). She may be firing people who may be of help to her business.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikij
    Sure Jim said he would trounce Marcella, but that's because she was on the other team and he needed to win. Once he was safe, he could be nice.
    ITA

Quote Originally Posted by Maikij
    Whatever Jim's agenda was, he helped Marcella and he told her the truth. Remember too, that he said off to the side that he didn't like what he saw happening to her.

There is a possibilty that Jim has some good qualities. Few of us are totally good or totally bad. Sure Jim said he would trounce Marcella, but that's because she was on the other team and he needed to win. Once he was safe, he could be nice.
    Amen that! I must say I was actually very surprised too see that kind of role reversal- Ryan being all Jim-like and for once Jim being actually decent. Even if he did have ulterior motives, who can say that the others don't in these shows? I mean even when these folks form alliances, there are big time ulterior motives in everyone. Whatever his reasons, glad to see at least an ounce of humanity in that weirdo.

Come to think of it though he's shown that side before too now, hasn't he? I thought he said something kind to Dawn the night before she got fired too- didn't he? or am I totally making this up? In any case- not bad at all

FORT Fogey
    The right person was fired yet again.
    Too bad next year we're right back to the wrong person(s) being fired every single episode. At least we got a bit of a break from Donald's insanity, though.

Amanda- First Amanda laments "I don't know what Martha's looking for." after she hears the news that Howie was fired. Then she announces that she's just going to take it easy on the next task. Since Martha won't repeat my favorite reject line, I'll do it here "Amanda, you just don't work for me. Good-by".

Ryan- Ryan has been a fav of mine almost from the start so I'm willing to cut him some slack for this performance on this ep. He and Howie were very close and I think his upset about that was a factor. I'm sure his severe reaction to being called disloyal stemmed from guilt. For all his comments about Marcela being too weak, he didn't exactly stand up to Amanda when he was PM, but hid behind Leslie's skirts.

Marcela- I'm not sure why she is perceived as weak just because she isn't indifferent to abuse. In this task she did all of the planning and made all of the arrangements herself. When Ryan and Amanda were sitting around complaining about her and later calling for celebs, they were supposed to be coming up with a marketing plan for the pastry chef idea. She did everything possible to get the team on board and they openly refused. As a leader in Martha's business she would be working with people who treated her with the respect she and her position deserve. I don't think Martha was insulted as much as challenged by Marcela's remark about the Latino market. She spoke well in the conference room.

Jim- Dawna really was "acting PM" and as much as he said he didn't like it and wasn't thrilled with her ideas he didn't stand up to her. Jim came on the show with a "be a big jerk" strategy. While he certainly is a loose cannon and more annoying than anyone I know, I don't believe he's a truly mean person. I'm convinced that he was genuinely mad about the way Marcela was treated and wanted to help her. In the end he did and she was funny when she interrupted him to say "I like you now."

Dawna- She should never have just offered $30,000 without asking for their price estimate. That showed poor negotiating skills. She was focused on paying someone to do the job for them no matter how outrageous the cost. This was a direct reflection on her lack of faith in Jim and Bethenny, but it paid off and they won the task based on her efforts.

Amanda and Ryan set Marcela up to fail. Marcela got the folks in and it looked as if she also sold all 9 units herself. Amanda and Ryan didn't like her approach and decieded not to help. I thought Martha should have sent both Amanda and Ryan home.

Interesting point that the suggested retail price of the product was $169 and both teams tried to sell it for well about that. Sometimes there is a reason why items are priced the way they are. At least Primarius was quite suceessfull at selling them at the $169 price.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Dawna- She should never have just offered $30,000 without asking for their price estimate. That showed poor negotiating skills. She was focused on paying someone to do the job for them no matter how outrageous the cost. This was a direct reflection on her lack of faith in Jim and Bethenny, but it paid off and they won the task based on her efforts.

I am not sure if that paid off- from where I saw it, they weren't really doing much until Bethenny (and Jim for a bit) stepped in, gave them clear instructions and made them fan out and get people. That PR firm didn't look like it was going to do much until then. If that had happened, this would have been a lousy ,lousy mistake. I am not sure Dawna deserves much credit for this one. But you're right on the money for everything else

Quote Originally Posted by dberk

You're correct she should asked for their price estimate and consult with Jim first. The reason, I felt she used $30,00 is because their budget was $40,00, so why not use the money. Jim had no control over Dawna. If they had lost, Jim or Dawna would've been fired.

Bethany won't last much longer.

Maybe it was the Vicodin, but Jim is starting to be less annoying. Please tell me it was the Vicodin! (had oral surgery)

Why not use the money given to promote the task to give away freebies with each purchase? Supply of coffee, coffee essentials, even an automatic cash rebate ... People buy much more if they think they are getting something for free.

Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Allie
    Maybe it was the Vicodin, but Jim is starting to be less annoying. Please tell me it was the Vicodin! (had oral surgery)
    I couldn't stand Jim in the beginning weeks, but I must say he has really impressed me the last few. I will even bet he has a shot at winning. Yes, he is obnoxious and loud, but he is creative and works very hard. (has there been any task that he laid back on?) He seems like a go getter as well. He has high energy and maybe what Martha is looking for is someone who can shake things up a bit. I am surprised though because I originally thought she would be looking for someone who can cook, garden, sew, etc...she never really spelled out what kind of apprentice she wants. (Amanda was right) I do like though, how many of these candidates are suggesting to Martha what she needs for her company- David and the internet, Marcella and the latino community. I hope she seriously considers these people to help her expand her business.

+ Reply to Thread