+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apprentice War, Salvo 2: Martha Fires Back

Apprentice War, Salvo 2: Martha Fires Back

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051031/...rtha_stewart_1

As you may or may not recall from the "regular" Apprentice forum, apparently Donald blames Martha for his sagging ratings.

Well Donald apparently isn't the only one who can play nasty. Martha fires back...

Stewart Planned to Bump Trump From Show (Associated Press)

Mon Oct 31,12:24 PM ET

NEW YORK - Before her version of "The Apprentice" began,
    Martha Stewart thought she was saying "you're fired" to Donald Trump.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Adblock
    [-71725]

While "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart" hasn't done well in the ratings, Stewart initially had much higher hopes even that her NBC show would eclipse Trump's original.

"I thought I was replacing The Donald," Stewart says in the Nov. 14 issue of Fortune magazine, on newsstands Nov. 7. "It was even discussed that I would be firing The Donald on the first show."

When did Trump learn that she intended to bump him off his own show? "I don't think he ever knew," Stewart tells the magazine.

Instead, Trump remained for a fourth season, and he has recently suggested that his show has been diminished by Stewart's. Trump's "Apprentice" has been averaging around 10 million viewers a week, down 4 million from last season. Stewart's "Apprentice" is drawing closer to 7 million viewers.

"I think there was confusion between Martha's `Apprentice' and mine, and mine continues to do well and ... the other has struggled very severely," Trump said recently on a radio program. "I think it probably hurt mine and I sort of predicted that it would."

Stewart also reveals in Fortune another unrealized business plan: to buy Kmart. In 2002, while the retail giant was going bankrupt, Stewart floated the idea dubbed "Kmartha" of buying the company, which sells her Martha Stewart Everyday brand.

Stewart, 64, also says she plans to sell Turkey Hill, her famous Westport, Conn., home. "I hardly ever go there anymore. I don't miss it."

After serving five months in jail for lying about a 2001 stock sale, which was followed by nearly six months of house arrest, the lifestyle guru says she feels resilient.

"I have learned that I really cannot be destroyed."

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    But Donald is Exec Producer of Martha's...so he's definitely involved in the success... OR failure of Martha's. I didn't like so much of Donald appearing in the beginning of the Martha apprentice, and definitely like the cast a LOT better than Donald's this season.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I actually initially thought (prior to the start of the fall season) that Martha was replacing Donald too to be honest.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

~*Sawyer's Love slave*~ sydneysummers's Avatar
    I wish Martha had replaced Donald. I want her to do well and I really do enjoy her show. Her ego does not get in the way and she seems to take this more as a real job interview where Donald seems to make it more entertainment. I still like and watch both shows but I like Martha more. I hope we get another season.
    *Maeby*"I drugged him not to go all the way with him"
    *George Michael*"I think even the antidrug people would be okay with that"

I think Martha & The Donald are trading barbs in the press to boost ratings for BOTH their shows. I don't buy this media bitchslapping.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by sydneysummers
    I wish Martha had replaced Donald. I want her to do well and I really do enjoy her show. Her ego does not get in the way and she seems to take this more as a real job interview where Donald seems to make it more entertainment. I still like and watch both shows but I like Martha more. I hope we get another season.
    I agree that Donald's Apprentice has evolved more into entertainment [especially this season]. I really want him to go back to being The Donald that he was during the first season when he, like Martha is doing now, treated his show as a serious job interview. [In fact, I just said the exact same thing over in the other Apprentice thread.]

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I think Martha & The Donald are trading barbs in the press to boost ratings for BOTH their shows. I don't buy this media bitchslapping.
    I very much agree with your statement, AJane. This kind of mudslinging for show is just Donald Trump's style, and Martha Stewart is wise to retaliate in kind. Despite its stupidity, I hope that this stunt leads to greater success for both versions of The Apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgirl
    I agree that Donald's Apprentice has evolved more into entertainment [especially this season].
    No, Donald's Apprentice devolved into an hour-long infomercial, hawkfest. I think the fact that he treats viewers as "marks" was bound to catch up to him. Bloated windbag. Makes me long for the classy Ron Popiel.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey
    With the advent of Tivo and its, most fabulous, feature of 30 sec jumps through commercials we are going to see more product placement on ALL television shows. Sponsers pay necessary advertising money for this kind of exposure. It is something we will have to accept or ignore.

These are entertainment programs first and a valuable employee second. Both Donald and Martha are media whores and I am enjoying every minute.
    Last edited by Dogbat; 11-09-2005 at 07:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread