+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 10/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    If you look hard, you can always find a reason to fire the PM. The key here was whether the competition was close - would Matchstick have won if the sofas had arrived? The editing made that unclear.

On one hand, they showed the Westin people clearly impressed with the Primarius room and wondering about the theme of the Matchstick room. On the other hand, several people referred to the competition as close. I don't think we know the answer.

Dawn's firing makes a lot of sense if it were a close competition. She has clearly been a drag on the others - refusing to paint is just not an option when you have a group that needs to stay up all night, regardless of the reason why.

The problem with this show concept is twofold:

1) The casting is based on Mark Burnett's theory that reality television works best when you have a group of outgoing, type-A people who aren't necessarily the best suited for the task (i.e. business).

2) The contestants have long since learned that the PM will be fired as often as not. Therefore, there's very little effort to figure out who really did contribute least to the task. What made the Trump show so good in the first season was that they hadn't figured that out yet, and the boardrooms were far more revealing.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

FORT Fogey
    Martha. I understand her reasoning behind firing Dawn though she clearly was not the reason the task failed. She had been before her 4 times. Her team could not work with her, she was late (this is huge) and lacked drive. No CEO gives a 4th chance. One mistake okay, and that was Leslie. She escaped firing only because Dawn failed, miserably and repeatedly. She is specifically looking for a good fit for her company and describes it as a family. Leslie is still an unknown, Dawn is not! It is not always about who is responsible for the task failing as we have seen on Trump.

I recognized Matchsticks furniture as West Elm. They stock little, most things are ordered. They probably could find everything but the couch right in the city. I bet the couch, a floor model, came from a New Jersey (or further) store and took longer to transport. Again, it was all about time. This must have come up in the conference room. Bethany's hands were tied.

Alexis. I cannot believe she admitted that she was always the one disliked when on a team! What was she thinking? She is getting a very poor edit. I am stummed by this. Why would Martha want her daughter to look so lame? Script a part for her if she cannot perform on her own. The critics are going to eat her up.

Primarius suite. I doubt they would have won if Matchstick had completed their task. The rooms were baren, cold and smelled of popcorn. Neither team bought art for the walls. This is key to making a space feel full.

I don't think Matchstick stood a chance even if they had gotten the furniture on time. Martha didn't even know what their theme was. The game room worked well.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by itravel94
    I don't think Matchstick stood a chance even if they had gotten the furniture on time. Martha didn't even know what their theme was. The game room worked well.
    The furniture stores were obviously assigned so style would not have entered the decision. I doubt the Westin or Martha find lower end modern furniture something they would use. It would have been all about concept, color and decorative touches.

FlOW was just plain bad but a game suite? People don't travel to NYC to stay in and play dominos. And I dont even remember their name. The Primarius suite was cold, gray, baren and smelled like popcorn. Matchsticks color scheme was more welcoming.

I think it would have been a difficult decision for her. She may even have had a bias, subconscience or not, toward handing Matchstick a win if things were close. I think she would have been repelled by the popcorn smell and that could have been the personal quirk that determined the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I think it would have been a difficult decision for her. She may even have had a bias, subconscience or not, toward handing Matchstick a win if things were close. I think she would have been repelled by the popcorn smell and that could have been the personal quirk that determined the outcome.

They hadn't been popping popcorn, Dogbat... so there was no smell. That's funny, tho.

And... the Westin executives chose the winner, not Martha.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    They hadn't been popping popcorn, Dogbat... so there was no smell. That's funny, tho.

And... the Westin executives chose the winner, not Martha.
    There was popcorn in the machine and someone commented that you could smell it. I realize they had not recently made any.

BUT! you bring up an excellent point. It was Westin who made the choice. So in Rosanna Rosannadana style........nevermind.

If I walked into a room that smelled like fresh popped popcorn, I would be in heaven! Unless it was burnt popcorn.

FORT Fogey
    So in Rosanna Rosannadana style........nevermind.
    That was Emily Lutella (like Rosanne Rosannadanna played by the late Gilda Radner on Saturday Night Live) who did "nevermind."

Anyway, as far as this episode, I thought Bethenny deserved to go, but even if Dawn didn't go here, she likely would have been on very thin ice. In fact, I thought we might have seen a double dismissal of Dawn and Bethenny last night.

There was popcorn in the machine and someone commented that you could smell it.
    Ooops, I'm sorry, Dogbat!! I must have missed that...I apologize!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    The popcorn smell would be a huge negative for me as well. It's the one thing I've asked my wife not to cook in the house.

If the furniture stores were assigned, that would explain why Bethenny only got one or two dirty looks from the Martha.

Is it just me, or does Alexis seem like she might be mentally impaired? She speaks so slowly, and when she speaks she seems to spout nothing but the most tired cliches.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

+ Reply to Thread