+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cancellation Territory?

FORT Fogey
    As I said myself previously:

I would have premiered Apprentice 4 on July 28 and let it run through mid-November, then premiered Martha's show on December 1 and let it run through February 9 (night before the Olympics, going with extra shows during Christmas week or perhaps two episodes a week in January), then after the Olympics premiered Apprentice 5 on March 2 and gone twice a week for most of that run (perhaps Sunday and Thursday nights, with The West Wing wrapping up its run before the Olympics started).

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, they should have done it during the summer months. But, did they even finish filming then. I mean, she was still under house arrest.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DoeBoy
    Yeah, they should have done it during the summer months. But, did they even finish filming then. I mean, she was still under house arrest.
    Martha's version didn't finish filming I believe until around June 30, however, they finished filming "A4" around May 22, so that could have premiered in late July and then used Martha in-between the two Donald seasons in (mainly) December and January.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyhorse
    Martha's version didn't finish filming I believe until around June 30, however, they finished filming "A4" around May 22, so that could have premiered in late July and then used Martha in-between the two Donald seasons in (mainly) December and January.
    Yes, they could have run Apprentice 4 starting in mid summer. I saw Carolyn Kepscher at a public speaking engagement in early June and she mentioned that they had just completed filming. Would have been smarter than running them together.

I doubt Martha will get cancelled, but she certainly may be pushed to a less-desirable timeslot like Wickedly Perfect last year. I really don't mind the show - I like to think of it as the kinder, gentler Apprentice - but what's really bugging me right now is the contant fighting among the creative team. I think once Jim and/or Dawn are gone and we can concentrate more on the competition it will pick up.

FORT Fogey
    One other possible reason for the time change I overlooked:

This week starts the baseball playoffs, with ESPN having a tripleheader this Wednesday starting at 4:00 PM ET/1:00 PM PT and then next Wednesday, FOX having both National League Championship Series Game 2 and American League Championship Series Game 1 at 8:00 PM ET/5:00 PM PT and then either ALCS Game 6 or NLCS Game 7 (unless both series are over by then) followed by World Series Game 4 at the same time the following two weeks.

By moving Martha's show to 9:00 PM ET/PT, NBC knows although this week it is opposite baseball (Division Series) playoff games on both coasts on ESPN (and there's less of a risk of it being opposite games on both ESPN and ESPN2 in the west at 9:00 PM PT if the game that starts at 7:00 PM ET/4:00 PM PT runs very late for whatever reason), moving Martha to 9:00 PM ET/PT gives NBC a better chance of playoff games being over on FOX before Martha would air on the west coast in the subsequent three weeks.

Actually, the reason they've cited for moving Martha to 9pm is that they want to get it away from the reality show genre competition that is America's Next Top Model. They feel that by mixing up the shows that have similar genres (E-ring vs LOST and Martha vs ANTM) they'll have a better chance of capturing extra viewers.

It might work, but they still won't have record numbers against LOST. I don't think they consider baseball their direct competition.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey
    Broadway:

That also makes sense. I forget about ANTM because I don't watch it, and I suspect that also has been taking away viewers.

As for "Lost", there are a lot of people I know who don't watch it, and I suspect Martha will actually do better at 9:00 than at 8:00 because of it.

All NBC really wants out of Martha is a good enough lead-in to "Law & Order", especially the next four weeks since many "L & O" junkies, especially in New York and Boston are also baseball fans, and this week's episode of "L & O" is likely to be opposite both Yankee and Red Sox playoff games on ESPN and ESPN2 as was the case last year (and last year, the episode that aired opposite those games gave NBC it's lowest rating ever for a new episode).

It Can't Be Long Now

CBS is getting ready to step up to the table & say “Martha You’re Fired”.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#film1

For Martha, Prison May Have Been Easier
    Martha Stewart may be preparing to face another losing battle, or, more precisely, a Lost battle. NBC has decided to move her version of The Apprentice to 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday nights, where it will air opposite ABC's Lost and CBS's new drama Criminal Minds. Stewart's show had taken a pounding from reruns of Lost during the past two weeks and is likely to be pummeled even harder by original episodes. The CBS drama has also proven to be a surprisingly strong competitor. NBC has decided to move Jerry Bruckheimer's new drama E-Ring into the 8:00 p.m. hour. It had been airing at 9:00 p.m. against Lost. Meanwhile, NBC announced that it is pulling the new drama Inconceivable from its Friday-night lineup this week after its first two episodes produced some of the worst ratings ever in the 10:00 p.m timeslot. It will be replaced this Friday by a repeat of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. However, the network said that it plans to return Inconceivable to the timeslot on Oct. 14 and that production will continue on the series.

FORT Fogey
    Anything up against Lost is doomed. They should have moved her to Monday night.

I don't think this show will be cancelled but I doubt we will see it next year. The biggest mistake is not changing the format. Drop the PM bringing two back in with them. Let Martha choose. Martha should watch selected footage to stay informed as well. Neither she nor Trump do this. A few departures from Trumps formula would have been refreshing. Better yet use Wickedly Perfect (do I have that name right?) for format ideas.

Too bad, I had high hopes for this show. I still watch and enjoy it because I am hooked on reality TV and this is better than Kill Reality, Biggest Loser and many others.

Anyone know the ratings for last night show? I'm sure Martha got crushed by Lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast