+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Site Adjustments

Re: Site Adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    Ellen - I can't disagree that this site is a bit slow since the change. I've considered deleting some of the really old posts on certain threads as a possibility. Some of the threads go back to 2003, and I suspect the site is just jammed with the information it has to bring forward every time we "click." Just a stray thought.......
    That really doesn't have anything to do with it. The site is on servers that are plenty large. If the site was running fast the day before the upgrade, the volume of posts is not the issue. TV Guide is working on the problem and we should have it resolved soon.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are a few more color schemes to choose from in the bottom left box if anyone would like to try them out. We're still working on the white background, so bear with us.
    dagwood, Ellen and Ana Bannana like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    There are a few more color schemes to choose from in the bottom left box if anyone would like to try them out. We're still working on the white background, so bear with us.
    Thank you!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The site is still slow as molasses for me, taking 15-20 seconds to load a page, even a refresh. Is there a preferred browser, one that works better than IE?

Anyway, the issues have been ongoing for me for a week ... is there an estimated date for repair?

A couple of us have reported that Firefox is moving normally. Ideally it should be zipping around in all browsers but for now, that's the only one I know of that seems normal. The server is plenty big, I suspect this is an incompatibility on vBulletin 4.1.3's part (but that's a guess).

We haven't heard from TVG yet on that issue - we'll let you know.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That really doesn't have anything to do with it. The site is on servers that are plenty large. If the site was running fast the day before the upgrade, the volume of posts is not the issue. TV Guide is working on the problem and we should have it resolved soon.
    Thanks, Critical. I guess I was just "tilting at windmills" in an effort to find an explanation. I know all of you mods are doing a great job under difficult circumstances.

I tried Foxfire as suggested by some, but it didn't work. It was just as slow for me. I still posted some things this morning. I'll wait and see what happens.

I use Google Chrome and the new site was never slow for me. But, it still won't go to the first unread post or last post. Just goes to the top of the last page, then I have to scroll down and try to find the last post I read.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

You may wish to check your profile preferences and privacy settings. After I noticed that my entire birthdate was out there for everyone to see on my public profile -- even after I had set my preferences for "only month and day" -- NOT the year -- to show. This is for security purposes, not age vanity. A lot can be done with a full birthdate by identity thieves. Apparently, after the so-called upgrade, the security/privacy settings reverted to a default of "let everyone see everything."

Today I did a check on my other privacy/security settings -- and those, too, had reverted to "let EVERYONE see EVERYTHING" -- including contact info, which I had previously set to "friends only," and other items which I had set to "registered site members only."

So I went back and reset everything. Again. I hope it sticks, as I don't want everyone who happens to stumble upon this site to have access to so much of my personal information. And I hope none of the wrong people saw it before I was able to change it again.

I can deal with the slowness. But I find the security/privacy breaches intolerable. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've been running the latest version of Firefox for quite a while.
    The only site I have the slow problem with is this one.

Thanks, in advance, for anything you can do.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread