+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Critical
  • 1 Post By spockwhat
  • 1 Post By Columbia, MD

Thread: Netiquette For All

Netiquette For All

Hello FORT posters!

The World Wide Web has been around since the early 90’s, and in the early days of the internet there existed something called “netiquette”. In recent times, the mods have seen lots of posters violating the spirit of netiquette and we would like to re-infuse FORT with good old-fashioned courtesy. It’s not something we give infractions for, but these rules used to be understood by everyone on the internet and we can no longer assume people know these internet basics. So please take the time to read these and keep them in mind while you are posting on FORT.

1. Read a thread before posting in it. You want others to read your deep thoughts, right? Do them the courtesy of reading theirs. And maybe the question you popped in to ask is answered right above you. Please just read the thread before posting. So much clutter, confusion and repetition is due to people who don't read a thread before posting.

2. Before you post, ask yourself: am I contributing to the conversation? If you are cheerleading (ex: “I agree, that’s great, ITA, I couldn’t have said it better”) you are not contributing to the conversation. If your post is about you the poster, it’s not contributing to the conversation (ex: “I see Contestant X is blonde just like me. Yeah, I've been blonde all my life. I wonder if I should dye it brown.”).

3. Don’t treat your fellow FORT posters like Google. Ex: “I’m not going to read the thread; what happened tonight?” or “What’s the name of the song she sang on last night’s American Idol?” Also see 1); i.e., Read the Thread.

4. Let’s say you have a favorite contestant. Let’s say you are the most ardent supporter that contestant has on the planet and your devotion can never be swayed. That’s great – so you don’t need to tackle each and every post that hints of a negative thought towards your beloved. It’s okay to support someone, but if you have to post the same arguments over and over, it’s time to stop. It doesn’t mean you’re wrong, it just means you’ve had your say, and another poster might have a different opinion.

a. Corollary to this concept: Let’s say someone makes an off-the-cuff remark about your favorite such as, “Ugh, I did not like that dress, she shouldn’t wear pea soup green.” This is not an invitation to post the hundred times that your favorite wore something smashing complete with pictures from various functions where your favorite looks stunning. If you’re that invested in your favorite contestant, back off and consider going to a board where they only allow positive comments (such boards do exist).

5. Use the right thread. Don’t use the thread you like to hang out in as the place to brag about your son’s soccer trophy – use the “Share Your Good News Thread.” Want to just talk? Use the “Koffee Klatch” thread. Want to tell someone you like their avatar? Use the PM system.

6. If you’re quoting a poster, and you feel tempted to bold a portion of their original post, don’t do it unless you are a vBulletin whizkid and you know what you’re doing. Once tags get broken and someone quotes your post, all hell breaks loose – and for what? It’s unnecessary. You can always delete out the text you’re not responding to, or just not quote the person directly above you at all. Broken tags hurt us all. Please stop bolding.

7. If a technical error occurs, or you think you posted something that disappeared, don’t post it in a thread where no staff member is going to see it for a while. Don’t ask the thread at large, it just creates off-topic discussion that throws everyone off. Please check the Announcements/Help forum. If you don' see discussion of your problem. ask a question there. PM a mod if you would rather keep it private.

8. It’s generally considered bad form to make several posts in a row in a single thread. Let someone else have a chance to have a say, Chatty Cathy! If you’re responding to several posters, summarize your feelings somehow. Don’t quote 10 separate posters and address them in 10 separate posts.

9. You will be seen as ever so much more witty, beautiful, and amazing if you capitalize letters, use punctuation, and the spell check feature. Dazzle your fellow posters with your shift key. Please.

10. POSTING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET. EX: “LOOK AT ME, I AM SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET!”

If we all just slow down and put a little more thought into our posting, everyone will have a more enjoyable experience. Thanks!

Re: Netiquette For All

How do you deal with a private message that is threatening or bullying?

Report the PM or contact a moderator.
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    6. If you’re quoting a poster, and you feel tempted to bold a portion of their original post, don’t do it unless you are a vBulletin whizkid and you know what you’re doing. Once tags get broken and someone quotes your post, all hell breaks loose – and for what? It’s unnecessary. You can always delete out the text you’re not responding to, or just not quote the person directly above you at all. Broken tags hurt us all. Please stop bolding.
    Interesting! I used to cut quotes, but assumed it was considered rude here because most people either quote the whole post or bold. I will definitely go back to deleting and I hope no one finds it rude.

(Just realized that THIS post was a major FAIL on suggestion number two.
    Did this post add to the conversation? Probably not.
    Was it about ME? Oh yes!)

On the plus side, I did capitalize.
    Brooks likes this.

FORT Fogey

If this helps: When I want to quote only part of a post, I use dots (......) to show there are portions I have deleted. This zeroes in on what I am responding to, plus it shortens the size of the total post. Just a suggestion.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Interesting! I used to cut quotes, but assumed it was considered rude here because most people either quote the whole post or bold. I will definitely go back to deleting and I hope no one finds it rude.

(Just realized that THIS post was a major FAIL on suggestion number two.
    Did this post add to the conversation? Probably not.
    Was it about ME? Oh yes!)

On the plus side, I did capitalize.
    It is not rude to only quote a portion of a post. The original post is visible and anyone can scroll up to see it. Also, it's not required to put in an ellipsis. I realize you were just putting forth a suggestion, but since this is an official thread people will come to for guidance, people need to know that it is not required to edit a quoted post as if you were writing an academic essay.

We do frown on (and often delete) posts that quote a giant post with only a word or two of comment on the bottom. That goes under #2 above because most of the time a post like that does not add to the conversation, it just cheerleads ("ITA").
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread