+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forum symbols, unread posts

forum symbols, unread posts

What are the meanings of the symbols in front of the forum threads? One looks like a letter, the other is a blue thingie.

How am I able to skip to first unread posts? I end up going through pages of messages looking for where I left off.

Thanks for your help I'm enjoying my visits to the FORT. Great posters here!

Good questions, Circe!

On the forum listing, you'll see a picture of a "FORT" next to each forum. It'll be yellow:

if there are unread messages in that forum. It'll be blue:

if there aren't any new messages since the last time you were there.

In each forum, there is a yellow, unrolled scroll:

if there are unread messages in that thread. There will be a blue, rolled-up scroll:

if there are no new messages since your last visit.

To read JUST the new messages in a thread with a yellow scroll on it, click on the arrow:

to the left of the thread title. That'll take you to the new messages. When you're all done reading messages in a forum, you should click on "Mark this forum read" at either the top or bottom of the forum. That changes all of the yellow scrolls to blue ones, and assumes you don't want to read the posts you haven't read.

When you're all done reading everything you want to read in all the forums (before you leave), you should click "Mark ALL forums read" at either the top or bottom of the forum listing. That'll mark everything as read, and when you come back, only new messages in unread forums will appear.

That's the basics.

The only problem I have is that sometimes If a forum in which I've read everything has one new post and I read it, going back to the forum list, the forum will still say there's a new post in it. In other words, I'm forced to click on "mark this forum read" to make it so that the forum page properly registers the fact I've read that last message.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Yep, that's true. The forum flag won't change even though you've read all of the posts. You still have to click on "Mark forum as read".

John, you messed me up

I kept reading your post wrong and I thought you had everything backwards... I need a nap.

another thing I think is neat:

in the bottom left part of a persons post there is a picture of the "castle/fort" if it is yellow the person is on line now, if it's blue they are not.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Thanks John!
    "You're not getting accurate judging. You're not." -- Simon Cowell

hey, welcome circe. i love your av! very cool!

Originally posted by shersidhe
    hey, welcome circe. i love your av! very cool!
    Thanks shersidhe That's how I look in Worlds Away.

FORT Fogey

What the FORT?

cali explains:
    in the bottom left part of a persons post there is a picture of the "castle/fort" if it is yellow the person is on line now, if it's blue they are not.
    I thought it was because I was special that the fort was always lit up. Thanks, cali for exploding that fantasy.

oops, sorry
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast