+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Koi fish screensaver advertisement causing massive system slowdowns?

Leo
    Premium Member

Koi fish screensaver advertisement causing massive system slowdowns?

John, I know you don't have any control over the ads anymore, but someone should still let TV Guide know about this. I'm having serious issues with one of the ad banners on Fort (and some other message boards as well). It's the one advertising a 3D koi fish screensaver; as far as I've seen it never appears at the top, only the bottom of pages. It's causing my system to crawl; and any ad banner that can get a quad-core machine with 4GB of RAM to crawl is seriously messed up.

I know it's the ad banner because a) the slowdown only occurs when that banner is loaded, and b) it stops the moment I am able to stop loading the page, reload, and get another ad. As I said earlier, this particular ad is not exclusive to Fort, but has the same effect wherever I get it.

To be fair, it's happened on other boards as well, but it seems to be a little frequent on this one. I'll post a screencap when I can.

ETA: That didn't take long. Here's what the ad looks like; the real one is animated, of course. This copy is a little larger than the actual one, because I run Firefox with a slight zoom:

Last edited by Leo; 08-12-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Re: Koi fish screensaver advertisement causing massive system slowdowns?

I wonder if John has been here lately? I haven't seen any posts by him for a few weeks.

I'm here, I just haven't been posting much. Between work and summer, I tend to get a bit busy.

Quote Originally Posted by John;3164567;
    I'm here, I just haven't been posting much. Between work and summer, I tend to get a bit busy.
    I know that feeling John.. You should have an automatic post every couple days that says I'm still here!

+ Reply to Thread