+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade of VB coming

Upgrade of VB coming

Next week, we will be upgrading to the latest version of Vbulletin (3.7.0 beta 4). With this upgrade comes a lot of new features, which we think you will enjoy. Some of the new features are listed below:

1) vBlogs integration. Every member will have a blog area, which functions like any other blog software you've seen. If you want to blog about something, you're welcome to it. The standard site rules apply, of course, but the subject of your blog can be anything, it doesn't have to be reality TV related.

2) Photo albums. Every member will have access to an image uploader, where you can store photos and images. You can use these in your posts. You can make photos public or private, and control who has access to private photos. Members can comment on public photos.

3) Customized profile page. You can customize your profile page, with a background image from your photo album, font and color changes, etc. You may also leave public messages in other members' profile pages.

4) Public groups. Members can create a public user group, for like-minded other members to join. Say, for example, you're a fan of a particular contestant on a show. You can create a group for them, and everyone else who likes them may join it. Groups can have their own thread-like posting areas.

5) Tags. Users may add relevant tags to new threads, so that people can find them easier, and search engines will index them better.

6) Reciprocal friendships. When adding someone to your "buddy list", you can request that the buddy approve your addition. These reciprocal friendships can be seen by other members. Think MySpace.

There are several other changes coming, and I hope you all enjoy the new software version!

Re: Upgrade of VB coming

Very cool ~ thank you, John!
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

Sound great, John.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Sounds cool John, but I have a question/worry regarding the public groups. Do you think that will decrease the number of posts on the actual site? What if people start doing their own KK or Celebrity news thread and start posting there?

Yea John! This sounds cool.
    Yup, with donuts!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

awesome John!! Is the pager system coming back?
    Thanks for working so hard

Thanks John!!!

Do you anticipate any downtime with this upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2770821;
    Do you anticipate any downtime with this upgrade?
    That was my first worry - no FORT for a while.

Sounds great, John!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

We will have some downtime, but it will be minimal. Basically, long enough to shut the site off and do a full backup, in case something goes horribly wrong. That takes about 45 minutes.

DR, I don't think it will cut down on actual posts. I'm not quite sure how it will actually play out, but first and foremost, we're a message board, and we intend to keep it that way. Most of the new features in vbulletin are intended to push things into more of a social networking direction, which many people are familiar with already. Hopefully we can work that into our existing framework and offer better service, not different service.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2770456;
    6) Reciprocal friendships. When adding someone to your "buddy list", you can request that the buddy approve your addition. These reciprocal friendships can be seen by other members. Think MySpace.
    This is one point I don't quite understand completely. It says 'Think MySpace', which if I used MySpace would probably make the point clear... but since I detest MySpace and all the similiar social-networking type sites, I steer clear of them, so don't understand what the 'reciprocal friendships' type thing means, so wondering if someone could make that point #6 clearer to me.

Does that mean I will no longer be able to use the type of Add This Poster to your Buddy List that FoRT currently has? For instance, if I want to add a particular poster to my Buddy List because I enjoy reading their posts, whether I've actually interacted with them personally or not, will I no longer be able to do that unless that person officially approves or denies me adding them to my Buddy List? Similarly, if someone wants to add me to their Buddy List, does that mean they can't do it unless I officially approve it or not?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast