+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Site-wide Ad Takeover

Re: Site-wide Ad Takeover

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2478331;
    John, I have to say I like this colour theme.. my drop down menus are actually readable now.

Any chance that it will be expanded to full screen and kept as a choice??
    That's the plan, Duxxy. After the ad campaign is complete, I'll turn this into a floating-width style, and leave it choosable by members who want it.

that's great! Thanks

Hey, I'll take this over the drop down roll over that seemed to drop down and block my menu choices no matter where I kept my cursor.

Change is good, keeps us from getting too complacent.

Although I prefer the fuller screen, this is no big deal.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by John;2478012;
    Lei or JLuvs, if you don't think we're seeing what you're seeing, a screenshot...
    Again, Mr. lei fixed the problem for me, but thank you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2478038;
    ....Why exactly was yours distubing... were they actually moving? Or was it just the sensation you got when you were scrolling through the message board when the people were standing there?
    It was the latter. Mine looked nothing like the screenshots I saw. It was the poorest web design I've seen in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2478294;
    This screen chaos is just about enough to make me not want to watch their show. The mind control attempt is a bit obnoxious. Glad it's going away after 2 days.

The only good part about this is the FoRT banner at the top.
    Ditto, word for word.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2478313;
    ....John clearly states in his first message exactly why this "happened" and how long it is going to be before it changes back.

It's temporary, and it's to satisfy a promotional advertising opportunity. John didn't have any choice. Very small price to pay for the services that tvguide provides John and this site.
    I appreciate that and understand. Please also know that I would gladly pay to use this site (John may recall that I offered to in the past, and have been bumping up the "Premium Members" thread to still try to do this.) Honestly, had Mr. lei not figured out how to block what we saw, I would not be here now, and if it were permanent, I would not be here anymore. It was that bad. And I'm a pretty easy-going person.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2478357;
    ....Running a site of this size is extremely expensive, so sacrificing your personal aesthetics for a couple of days so that they can turn your visit into something profitable for them is just how it's going to be. If anyone finds the site unreadable, this particular campaign runs for 2 days, so I'll see you after midnight tomorrow night.

Quite frankly, this site has extremely minimal advertising 99.9% of the time, and I think it's kind of rude to bitch about the 2 days when it's still completely functional, with no pop-ups, and just has a color scheme you don't like for a short time.
    Again, I'd be happy to pay, and it's not a matter of aesthetics, or of bitching. What was on my screen was really disturbing, literally painful on the eyes, and certainly unreadable.

But again, it's gone, so I'm happy.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Everything looks good for me now! I think my screen resolution is set so that I barely see any of the picture on the sides, only at the top and bottom and that's not bothersome at all. I really do like the blue and green colors and even the little icons on the main forum page.

I agree with those who find the background graphic (advertisement) difficult to look at. My eyes were darting from text to people on the left, people on the right and back to the people on the left again! The site content on the narrow text field was overshadowed by the generous ad. I resized my window to avoid it but feel a banner at the top may have been enough to get the ad in. Poor web design by TV Guide...

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John;2478359;
    That's the plan, Duxxy. After the ad campaign is complete, I'll turn this into a floating-width style, and leave it choosable by members who want it.
    very cool. i was just thinking i like the colors ... i just hate the background

Dancing along the border of turbulence and order

I don't mind the advertising too much. It's very slick and well executed. I won't forget about the show after spending time here.

I also like the color scheme. Still, I'm glad it's only a few days. I guess we're all a little set in our ways.
    Go to www.freerice.com to improve your vocabulary and feed the world!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I really don't mind this new theme for a few days. You have to do what you have to do to keep this site running free for everyone!
    Wake up and be awesome

I'm with Ashley. This site is so great, I'll put up with quite a lot to keep it going. Actually, I'm getting used to the new scheme and may actually miss it when it goes away! (But not those people climbing up the side of the screen.)

+ Reply to Thread